59 minutes ago, john.r.davies said:

Why do you show us this, Suzanne?

There is much concern about the level of Covid and vaccination scepticism, and downright 'antivax' feeling in all communities but especially those with a BAME background.   In December last, the Royal Soc for Public Health found that 75% of the White public have no problem with the vaccine, and only 8% would definitely not do so (Worrying enough!), in the BAME communities only 56% were willing.   https://www.rsph.org.uk/about-us/news/new-poll-finds-bame-groups-less-likely-to-want-covid-vaccine.html     They had concerns on religious grounds as well as worries about side effects, but that study found that much of this was because those people were ill-informed, and were open to being informed by authoritative figures from their communities.    This leaflet advertises a meeting to provide exactly that.

Remember that "We are not protected until we are all protected"  and favourable publicity from political and professional leaders of all communities will help to maximise vaccine take-up and protection for us all.    Last week, one of my 'patients' happened to be a local goverment leader, who asked if they could be photographed having their injection, so that the organsiation they led could publicise the fact.      We were glad to help, and our clinic manager took the picture!

John

And that is precisely why I have shown you what is happening here, I didn’t think it needed quantifying.

I tried on the same platform to make this community aware of D3, quite some time ago,  but it was quite clear that they were not  open to receiving this information and actually deemed it RACIST.

It is a very fine line we are walking here.

Edited by SuzanneH
  • Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

HELP THE NHS ~ I've let my adjoining empty house (fully furnished) to four NHS nurses free of charge during this National Emergency. We have a very large General Hospital at the top of the r

Very very Harsh Geko. I see a man, in an unenviable position, doing his utmost to balance the impossible tasks of trying to control the spread of a new novel virus - for which there is no treatme

By the book...

Posted Images

I got letter from the NHS this morning inviting me to book a 1st vaccination slot.  But I already had it on Tuesday via the GP hub. Confused !

(I won't be going for a second 1st jab !)

Bob.

36 minutes ago, Lebro said:

I got letter from the NHS this morning inviting me to book a 1st vaccination slot.  But I already had it on Tuesday via the GP hub. Confused !

(I won't be going for a second 1st jab !)

Bob.

We also had the same thing happen here. We both got a letter the morning we were going for the jab which I had booked from a text message that says it comes from “Pharmacist”......?

Via the pharmacist we could only book the first jab but the letters we recieved seemed to imply we could book both first and second jabs....?

Edited by SuzanneH
3 hours ago, SuzanneH said:

Just thought you would be interested in what came up in our neighbouring community Facebook group today.

D57360FE-921B-4E63-94D7-562998A56D09.jpeg

Lets hope Rupa Huq gets the D3 message across too, BAME well known to have looow levels.  BAPIO aletred  all its memebrs in late April, so doctors of Indian origin  also know. But are they telling thier patients ??

On 2/2/2021 at 2:42 PM, john.r.davies said:

Here's an interesting idea!      I've tried to offer evidence that runs counter to the avalanche of support for VitD, in particular on light levels.     BUt the contrast between nations in the imapct of Covid may be due to their attitudes to social convention.    A paper in Lancet Planetary Health  by Gelgand, Jackson, Pan et al (The relationship between cultural tightness–looseness and COVID-19 cases and deaths: a global analysis, https://www.thelancet.com/pdfs/journals/lanplh/PIIS2542-5196(20)30301-6.pdf) suggest this with a strong correlation.

They categorised according to previous research rather than stereotyping, nations into those with a strictly abide by social norms and called them "tight", while those where people were more  relaxed as "Loose".    They then compared this score with their death rates associated with Covid

image.thumb.png.73bbe5d4acb91dc5e1de44b11835c565.png

The result is this strong correlation which has a highly significant 'p' value of 0.0001

While there is a tendency for nations who have kept the death rate right down to be  near the equator, others, such as Trinidad and Tobagoand Greece are in the death zone.      

The conclusion was that "Nations with high levels of cultural tightness were better able to limit cases and deaths than nations that were looser."     As we know with sadness, the UK is among the world leaders in deaths per million, with Italy, Spain, the USA, most of South America and Sweden, while China, Vietnam, Thailand and Sri Lanka almost drop off the graph.     

John

Here are 25(OH)D data for African nations.  https://www.thelancet.com/journals/langlo/article/PIIS2214-109X(19)30457-7/fulltext

Ghana, Nigeria have very good levels that might explain why C19  death rate is 4 log units , ie 10,000-fold , lower than UK.

Peter

1 hour ago, stillp said:

Meanwhile the virus "doesn't exist" in Tanzania, according to President John Magufuli.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-55900680

Pete

Like other Afircan nations Tanzania has good 25(OH)D that might be keeping C19 deaths down. Fig 2 here:

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/langlo/article/PIIS2214-109X(19)30457-7/fulltext

Peter

Here''s another way the virus can evolve to circumvent antibodies: deletion of a couple of amino acids in the spike protein, As seen evolving in a patient treated with anti-serum.https://medicalxpress.com/news/2021-02-highlights-sars-cov-mutations-emerging-chronic.html

I'm not raising my hopes high that current vaccines will offer more than a temporary abatement.

Peter

I read reports of Colchicine, Ivermectin, Vitamin D, whatever,  but what is the actual chance for any of us laid on our death beds with Covid, that the NHS would actually give us something? The reports I have seen is that the NHS are not "treating" Covid at the moment, just assisting with oxygen and in the worst cases ventilation.

Alan

3 hours ago, SuzanneH said:

We also had the same thing happen here. We both got a letter the morning we were going for the jab which I had booked from a text message that says it comes from “Pharmacist”......?

Via the pharmacist we could only book the first jab but the letters we recieved seemed to imply we could book both first and second jabs....?

Sue

The wife got her jab and was given a plastic card with date and time for the the next one in 12 weeks same place 

Same place same time for second jab...easy to fix...easy to apply.

Mick Richards

Text from surgery came,  1st and 2nd booked , easy.

Did also get a letter from NHS which was nice to know that we are being looked after from two directiions.

Well done NHS

ROY

40 minutes ago, barkerwilliams said:

I read reports of Colchicine, Ivermectin, Vitamin D, whatever,  but what is the actual chance for any of us laid on our death beds with Covid, that the NHS would actually give us something? The reports I have seen is that the NHS are not "treating" Covid at the moment, just assisting with oxygen and in the worst cases ventilation.

Alan

Colchicine, ivermection being drugs would need NICE to recommend for C-19. But D3 can be adminsitered without NICE approval, so if you are hospitaliised under the care of D3-aware consultants you might get it. AFIK the RVI in Newcastle/Tyne uses it, and maybe Leicester, Noorwich. Dexamethasoen appears to be widely used but NICE cannot have evidence that it works for C-19, its a reasonable assumption it will.

Peter

Have been reading around colchicine, its used for gout to weaken the immune system (and, guessing, the C-19 cytokine storm)

Too much urate in blood reduces the activation of D3 to 25(OH)D:https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4586492/

So if prone ot gout best not assume D3 supplements are working to bring up 25(OH)D to a safe level.

Peter

4 hours ago, ntc said:

Sue

The wife got her jab and was given a plastic card with date and time for the the next one in 12 weeks same place 

Thanks Neil

I asked whilst I was having my jab and they said we will be notified of second jab by our GP.

25 minutes ago, SuzanneH said:

Thanks Neil

I asked whilst I was having my jab and they said we will be notified of second jab by our GP.

I had a letter inviting me to book both appointments at a mass vaccination centre. My wife was invited to make an appointment at a centre run by a group of GP practices, and she was told she'll be sent another text when her second dose is due.

Pete

Edited by stillp

During my vaccination I was simply advised that I would be contacted to arrange the second injection in the same manner as I had been for the first - that is good enough for me :) 

....... Andy 

My daughter (vulnerable) had her ist injection yesterday and had a confirmation of second injection appointment in April at same time as the first. I am receiving my 1st jab next week and have confirmation date in April at same time as the first. We'll see.

Mick Richards 

2 hours ago, john.r.davies said:

There will be no second jabs until a political decision is made that the number of firsts justifies it.

There have already been over half a million second doses administered (at t8me of writing) the wheels are already turning.

1 hour ago, john.r.davies said:

Those were given before the decision to delay seconds.    None are  being given currently.

Had our 1st jab this morning (The Oxford AZ) at a surgury 6 miles away.
Lots of stories of queues, delays, bad tempers and general disorganisation 

SWMBO had a 09.00 appointment, mine was 09.24.
I had the jab at 08.56, SWMBO had hers at 08.58.

2nd jab confirmed 12 weeks hence
In and out in less than 10 minutes 

Well organised throughout