Quote Ross et al (Eds), "Dietary Reference Intakes for Calcium and Vitamin D", 2011, National Academies Press, Washington, " Increasing intake of vitamin D results in higher blood levels of 25OHD, although perhaps not in a linear manner." (my underline)    Peter will no doubt explain the metabolism and excretion of VitD, but it is a complex system, that normally responds to plasma calcium levels.     Such metabolic systems typically increase activity in response to an increased substrate in an negative exponential manner, that increase diminishing as enzymes are overloaded.

image.png.1f202d51e5f61680880f9f6dcacd25df.png

It may not be wise to push your liver too far!  A 5K dose is a significant fraction of the toxic dose (60K) (Mayo clinic).

Edited by john.r.davies
  • Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

HELP THE NHS ~ I've let my adjoining empty house (fully furnished) to four NHS nurses free of charge during this National Emergency. We have a very large General Hospital at the top of the r

Very very Harsh Geko. I see a man, in an unenviable position, doing his utmost to balance the impossible tasks of trying to control the spread of a new novel virus - for which there is no treatme

By the book...

Posted Images

Mark,

Welcome to the worried well club! :D

At least we are both in the ok band. So many things, such as a recent infection, that can drop our levels, but good to consider what the levels might have been without supplementation and how much more prepared our immune systems are for whatever lies ahead for us all. I just hope you wife is "OK" too.

Alan

After a year on 4000IU pd i got to 140 nmol/L. I take 2 2000IU gelcaps with the main meal as fat helps gut uptake. As John says the dose-response is non-linear , and we vary ,for  reasons I have not explored in depth. After going to  a higher does it can take three moonths for the serum25(OH)D to re-stabilise. Body mass index has an efffect : obesity results in lower 25(OH) for a given dosage. Older age also reduces response. Not sure about calcium in diet.  I take magnesium as a supplement and in a multivit-mineral pill. There is some evidence for Mg deficieny in soft tapwater population.

Overall I think it a good idea to get 25(OH)D measured. Best to do that now so incidemtal summer UVB does not iinfluence the desiired winter supplementation.

That said, some caucasiana, ca one in three, are extra-responsive to 25(OH)D, but that has not been tied into dose-response to supplements.

Dont forget the "D3 hammer"  takken at the first sign of a cold or cough. 50,000 IU one-off. Cut open capsules and soak the oil into toast, then  butter to deliver the  fat.

Peter

Earlier, I posted a link to the Royal Society symposium where several global experts spoke about Covid  and the vaccine.  They only had an hour and the speakers could answer a few questions from their viewers, so one of them, Prof.Charles Bangham, who holds the Chair on Immunology at Imperial, has written an article to address many of the others that people have.

See: https://royalsociety.org/blog/2021/01/why-we-know-vaccines-work/?fbclid=IwAR09ZLn7ddp7MCJY4JjDq95pQAPanGcDQVS1oltJAsvQxTGQj5ZI-ymJLcg

Here's an interesting idea!      I've tried to offer evidence that runs counter to the avalanche of support for VitD, in particular on light levels.     BUt the contrast between nations in the imapct of Covid may be due to their attitudes to social convention.    A paper in Lancet Planetary Health  by Gelgand, Jackson, Pan et al (The relationship between cultural tightness–looseness and COVID-19 cases and deaths: a global analysis, https://www.thelancet.com/pdfs/journals/lanplh/PIIS2542-5196(20)30301-6.pdf) suggest this with a strong correlation.

They categorised according to previous research rather than stereotyping, nations into those with a strictly abide by social norms and called them "tight", while those where people were more  relaxed as "Loose".    They then compared this score with their death rates associated with Covid

image.thumb.png.73bbe5d4acb91dc5e1de44b11835c565.png

The result is this strong correlation which has a highly significant 'p' value of 0.0001

While there is a tendency for nations who have kept the death rate right down to be  near the equator, others, such as Trinidad and Tobagoand Greece are in the death zone.      

The conclusion was that "Nations with high levels of cultural tightness were better able to limit cases and deaths than nations that were looser."     As we know with sadness, the UK is among the world leaders in deaths per million, with Italy, Spain, the USA, most of South America and Sweden, while China, Vietnam, Thailand and Sri Lanka almost drop off the graph.     

John

Edited by john.r.davies

John, many  of the lowC19 nations have age structure that is very young compared with the highC19 nations. Japan would eb the exception, but they do eat a lot of fish !  Along with age the lowC19 nations are very poor, and the poor cannot avoid the plentiful sun, thay must work to eat. Singapore is an exception, but it is undoubtedly not "loose", akin to a police state. My interpretation is that D3 explains much of that plot. Question is: did the authors exclude D3 or are they D3-blind ?

Peter

If a young engineer presented that chart with such a straight line and claimed a correlation, the old lags would describe it as a "stars at night" chart and send him on his way. Computer regression analysis has a lot to answer for. Does it look right?

Mick

Well ''cultural tightness" is hardly a well-defined or evaluated parameter so there must be a lot of doubt and variability in that measure, which has to have been decided somewhat arbitrarily John.  There are so many other factors which have just been ignored that this can really only rate as junk science. 

After all and as we all know 'correlation does not imply causation' and in this case even the correlation must be deemed doubtful.

Edited by RobH

RobH, if you had read the paper, you would have found that the loose/tight quotient is established by previously published research, as I said above carried out by  questionnaires and not by national stereotyping.

Mick, the regression had an R of -0.54, which must range between 0 (no correlation) and 1 (perfect, all obsevations on  the line).    And with a P of 0.0001, it was a long way more significant than the threshold on 0.05

Peter,  Brazil is another country that is young and poor, and in Manaus on the Amazon they probably eat a lot of fish, but look where it is on that chart!

John

3 hours ago, John Morrison said:

See Davis Davis, used PMQ's today to continue to bang the Vit. D drum.

John.

Many thanks John, Beeb edited it out, but it is on DD website,. I have alerted the D3CG

https://www.daviddavismp.com/david-davis-mp-questions-the-prime-minister-about-the-latest-vitamin-d-research-from-andalucia/

I gather PMQs is not a free for all, his question will have been pre-selected. Maybe hopeful....

Peter

Sue and myself had our C19 jabs today. 

Whilst being logged in and double checked and then jabbed I managed to chat to a couple of the workers there and they agreed with me that come late April we will all be getting better - not necessarily to the jab but it will be sunnier.

So the medics DO agree with the D3 idea.

I appreciate that these folk were not full blown doctors but they know what the are doing.

Roger

Prediction of new variants with much higher affinity of spike for  receptor, waiting to evolve

https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.01.06.425392v3.full

Only a matter of time?

Peter

2 hours ago, RogerH said:

Whilst being logged in and double checked and then jabbed I managed to chat to a couple of the workers there and they agreed with me that come late April we will all be getting better - not necessarily to the jab but it will be sunnier.

Roger, that could also be because we're turning the heating down (less arid indoors), opening the windows occasionally, and spending more time outside. This is one of vitamin D's problems - these other seasonal factors have health benefits too.

Cheers, Richard

1 hour ago, john.r.davies said:

1000 vaccinated today in  Lancaster!

First clinic this week - no vaccine available.

I asked at Stoneleigh how busy they'd been - at about 3 o'clock they'd vaccinated about 800 people. They'd also had 10 no-shows. The no-shows might be down to poor communication between the GP-led vaccination site and the Warwickshire site at Stoneleigh.

Pete

6 minutes ago, Spit_2.5PI said:

Roger, that could also be because we're turning the heating down (less arid indoors), opening the windows occasionally, and spending more time outside. This is one of vitamin D's problems - these other seasonal factors have health benefits too.

Cheers, Richard

I saw data that indicate only 1 to2 extra hours are spent outside in summer, per day. Not enough out of the 24 to explain the plumetting infection rate. SInce infections are rare outside anyway - hence we  are allowed out in lockdon to excercise- uv light killing the bugs is unlikely to contrbute much to the  fall. Indoor temperatures dont vary that much either. UV light does not pass glass. To me the numbers dont add up to explain the summer plummet. We do knwo serum 25(OH)D rises in UK population from 40-50 end-winter to ca 70 nmol/L in summer, and that may tip the balance against infections.

However,impossible to isolate causes and effects, so the public health wallahs can continue to ignore D3....but not for long.

Peter