The Ignominy of it all

Hi Folks

guess where I was this afternoon???

On the hard shoulder of the M40 just South of Gaydon. (Bu99er)

On the way there this morning there was an almighty racket from the engine bay.

Pulled over and turned off the engine. The racket died.

I very quickly found that the water pump pulley would not rotate (double bu99er).

I managed to free it and limped to the Museum.

My good chum. Tim Hunt. gave me another pump but sadly I couldn;t separate either pulley to get at the lower bolt (TRiple bu99er).

So I decided to TRavel home very slowly. I did 30 miles of the 90 required.

The M40 hard shoulder is quite nice, even in the drizzle.

After about 45 minutes (pretty good) the AA appeared in a little TRansit van (quadruplediddlydoo bu99er).

He quickly assessed that I wasn't pulling his pudding when I told him the pump was stuck.

From the depths of his little TRansit he produced an A frame type thing that the TR4A sat on.

This thing came out the back of his van like a blade from a Swiss army penknife.

Annoyingly his range ran out 10 miles from home.

Being a little avant garde, and not giving a sh*t for the rules he said 'we'll ignore that'

So home we went.

Tomorrow I shall investigate a new pump.........and a new wiper motor as mine kept sticking.

Roger

Bad luck Roger.

I had my original overhauled by EP pumps who provided a proper service and a new seal which must last longer than the new ones from our suppliers. Mine has been on the car for at last five years.

P,S, You are supposed to undo the long bolt through the housing while the pulley is in place. When you get the new pump fit the bolt and then the pulley before offering it up to the housing.

AA did very well, shame about the weather.

Richard

Hi Richard,

my pump has the bolt fitted. The replacement used a stud. But as neither pulley would budge swapping them over was out of the question.

Hi Rob,

tomorrow my pump will have three studs.

Roger

Sorry to hear that Roger, it least it should be a straight forward fix (he says touching wood, knowing that something unexpected usually pops up!)

....... Andy

Hi Andy,

the only problem that I can see is if the new/repro pump is dimensionally compromised. Some are better than other.

Last week I fitted a new alternator. I knew at the time that it had been on there a long time.

It didn't occur to me that the pump had been on as long 100,000 +++++ miles.

Roger

I can vouch for the fact that my standard replacement pump from the TRS fitted fine last year and hasn’t developed any incontinence yet.

...... Andy

Sorry to hear of your plight Roger. It had a noble innings nonetheless! Impressed that Tim was carrying a spare! I replaced mine last year before the 10CR just in the nick of time as the bearing is very rough but its available if you want to get it refurbished.

Tough luck Roger, I wonder how many owners will be in their garage tomorrow checking bolts and studs on water pumps?

I carry a spare pump in boot but never thought I could have trouble fitting it.

I've never understood why Triumph used a bolt in that awkward position. Like others, I changed to a stud many years ago (having owned TRs since 1963, I have a collection of useful nuts, bolts, studs and washers).

Ian Cornish

I experienced that moment as the towing frame unfolds from the back of, in this case, an RAC unit Less Swiss Army Knife, more Transformers, I thought! But an extraordinary bit of kit, the the technician told me had been in more than one recovery truck as they are built better than the vans!

John

I experienced that moment as the towing frame unfolds from the back of, in this case, an RAC unit Less Swiss Army Knife, more Transformers, I thought! But an extraordinary bit of kit, the the technician told me had been in more than one recovery truck as they are built better than the vans!

John

Many moons ago a a Christmas church service the parish Priest asked one of the younger kids there what he got for Christmas.

The little lad said ' a TRansformer'

The Priest cautioned him and said 'mind you don't get an electric shock'

The innocence of it.

Roger

Sorry about the failure to make progress home yesterday Roger. I would refer the honourable member to my Model Consultant's article in the May edition of Club Torque!

Tim

Hi Folks

guess where I was this afternoon???

On the hard shoulder of the M40 just South of Gaydon. (Bu99er)

On the way there this morning there was an almighty racket from the engine bay.

Pulled over and turned off the engine. The racket died.

I very quickly found that the water pump pulley would not rotate (double bu99er).

I managed to free it and limped to the Museum.

My good chum. Tim Hunt. gave me another pump but sadly I couldn;t separate either pulley to get at the lower bolt (TRiple bu99er).

So I decided to TRavel home very slowly. I did 30 miles of the 90 required.

The M40 hard shoulder is quite nice, even in the drizzle.

After about 45 minutes (pretty good) the AA appeared in a little TRansit van (quadruplediddlydoo bu99er).

He quickly assessed that I wasn't pulling his pudding when I told him the pump was stuck.

From the depths of his little TRansit he produced an A frame type thing that the TR4A sat on.

This thing came out the back of his van like a blade from a Swiss army penknife.

Annoyingly his range ran out 10 miles from home.

Being a little avant garde, and not giving a sh*t for the rules he said 'we'll ignore that'

So home we went.

Tomorrow I shall investigate a new pump.........and a new wiper motor as mine kept sticking.

Roger

Hi Roger

You’ve certainly been having your fair share of these little niggle’s. You should have a marking for each on your doors, just like the Red Baron.

Hope it’s all sorted soon.

Hi Roger, just got my voluntary MOT done today, all ok, and done 3059 miles in last year of which 1300 was in last month,11 days holidaying in France.

You probably did 10x that 30,000 miles or more in last year but your faults per 1000 miles was probably lower than mine.

Hope this thought cheers you up

It did well, just checked mine and guess what 2 studs and one bolt (os lower).

I have an alloy 1/2 ins pulley fitted, don't know how easy that will come off, hope my pump lasts as long as yours, I think it's done about 25000 so far. I carry a spare in boot but not much use if I can't fit it but if away I guess I'd find a garage with a vice.

Hi Chris,

after a struggle tapping the water pump to get the pulley off and assembling the hub puller I actually screwed the puller screw in by hand and off popped the pulley.

I am going to make a small/compact puller to use by the road side should things get interesting.

Roger

Hi Chris,

after a struggle tapping the water pump to get the pulley off and assembling the hub puller I actually screwed the puller screw in by hand and off popped the pulley.

I am going to make a small/compact puller to use by the road side should things get interesting.

Roger

Why would you need it if you have fitted the TE506241 stud in place of the bolt? Carry a spare pump with correct pulley.

Peter W

Why would you need it if you have fitted the TE506241 stud in place of the bolt? Carry a spare pump with correct pulley.

Peter W

Not that easy, will a second pulley fit in same position on another pump, 2 new tapers, modern repro parts ?

Also pump+ pulley takes up nearly twice the space and most of my spares are in spare wheel well which is getting crowded.

It currently holds,

Spare motor & fan blade assembly for electric fan.

Mechanical fuel pump.

Water Pump- less pulley.

Overdrive Soleonoid

Propshaft UJ

Steering rubber UJ

Also in a separate corner of boot is a spare Dynamo complete with pulley as one on car.

Running out of space as still get large wheelly case and small spares box and toolbox in boot.

Her indoors would fill the whole boot with clothes

If I let her!????????????