• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 iani

iani
  • TR Register Members
  • 138 posts
  • Cars Owned::'69 TR6

Posted 07 July 2018 - 05:13 PM

I have posted the litany of issues I have had with this car since I bought it in March, today the water pump decided to fail, I only fitted it in April, 3 months, thats terrible. I have emailed the supplier to see what they will do but this is ridiculous. I have owned 14 Triumphs, this the first TR however, it will certainly be my last, I have never had as much trouble with a car in all my years of driving and 38 different vehicles!

Edited by iani, 07 July 2018 - 05:15 PM.

#2 barkerwilliams

barkerwilliams
  • TR Register Members
  • 1,221 posts
  • Cars Owned::TR6 PI, Stag, Thoroughbred Race Horse, John Deere

Posted 07 July 2018 - 05:16 PM

The only waterpump that died on my TR6 prematurely was when I fitted a higher pressure radiator cap and the pump seals did not approve.

Alan

People of character do the right thing even if no one else does, not because they think it will change the world but because they refuse to be changed by the world.

#3 iani

iani
  • TR Register Members
  • 138 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 05:26 PM

I’m running a 7lbs cap, should be right for a ‘69 car I believe.

#4 RogerH

RogerH
  • TR Register Members
  • 21,831 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 05:35 PM

Hi Iani,

the previous owner has done you no favours. You are now uncovering all the things that should have been sorted.

Do not give up.  Once you have corrected the various dodgy bits then the fun starts.

Roger

Time is a drug - Too much will kill you
Forgive your enemy, but remember the ass-hole's name.
never surrender, never give up and always balance your butterflies

Veni Vidi Flati
TR4A - July 1967 daily driver         2010 RBRR No.22  2014 RBRR No.69
TR4 - March 1962 transforming like the proverbial caterpillar - it's now Royal Blue and now with the chromy bits.

#5 Waldi

Waldi
  • TR Register Members
  • 784 posts
  • Cars Owned::AR Spider Duetto, TR6, Moris Minor Traveller, MGB GT, XK140FHC, Healey MK2, TR6-PI (CP, 1970)

Posted 07 July 2018 - 07:26 PM

There is a company in the uk who reconditions original pumps. I have not odered from them but others on this forum have.
I bought a new pump, but will first try the original pump once my resauration is completed, simply because of experiences like yours. Ridiculous, isnt it?
Would be good to fill in the PQI form.
Regards,
Waldi

#6 iani

iani
  • TR Register Members
  • 138 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 07:37 PM

There is a company in the uk who reconditions original pumps. I have not odered from them but others on this forum have.
I bought a new pump, but will first try the original pump once my resauration is completed, simply because of experiences like yours. Ridiculous, isnt it?
Regards,
Waldi

If mine had come with the original pump I would have had it restored, the replacements are so cheap that it's unlikely they will work for long, I have another on order now, fingers crossed that it's better.

#7 rcreweread

rcreweread
  • TR Register Members
  • 465 posts
  • Cars Owned::TR4 (1962), various TR4As, Austin Healey Sprite

Posted 07 July 2018 - 09:00 PM

Contact EP Services as they may be able to refurb a repro unit - the basic issue with rubbish repros is the quality of the bearings and seals used and tolerances, all of which can be addressed on rebuilding.

EP Services

Unit 1 Central Trading Estate,
Cable Street, Wolverhampton,
West Midlands, England, WV2 2RJ

Tel: +44 (0)1902 452 914
Fax: +44 (0)1902 871 547
Out Of Hours: +44 (0)7770 747724

Cheers

Rich

#8 iani

iani
  • TR Register Members
  • 138 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 09:11 PM

Thanks Rich, I've already emailed the original supplier and will see how they propose to handle this. In any case, I have ordered a new pump from TRGB, hopefully they supply reliable units. Whilst it's an easy job to swap the water pump out, I'm annoyed at having to do it so soon after fitting a new one.

#9 Mike C

Mike C
  • 472 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 10:37 PM

The problem with many, if not most, reproduction parts is that they are part of a race to the bottom on price, and quality is a secondary consideration.

Like most people who have been  working  on  their old cars for a while I try to by NOS where possible and if that's not available I try to get the best quality repro parts. I'd have a look at an original Stanpart pump rebuilt with new bearings and seals.

I supposed that you made sure the belt was aligned and not overtightened when you fitted the new pump?

#10 Waldi

Waldi
  • TR Register Members
  • 784 posts
  • Cars Owned::AR Spider Duetto, TR6, Moris Minor Traveller, MGB GT, XK140FHC, Healey MK2, TR6-PI (CP, 1970)

Posted 08 July 2018 - 07:03 AM

Contact EP Services as they may be able to refurb a repro unit - the basic issue with rubbish repros is the quality of the bearings and seals used and tolerances, all of which can be addressed on rebuilding.

EP Services

Unit 1 Central Trading Estate,
Cable Street, Wolverhampton,
West Midlands, England, WV2 2RJ

Tel: +44 (0)1902 452 914
Fax: +44 (0)1902 871 547
Out Of Hours: +44 (0)7770 747724

Cheers

Rich

Does anyone know rough costs for a revision of a pump at this company?
I may organize a combined repair to reduce shipping costs from/to Holland for people that are interested.
Thanks,
Waldi

Edited by Waldi, 08 July 2018 - 07:06 AM.

#11 DaveN

DaveN
  • TR Register Members
  • 732 posts
  • Cars Owned::TR6 cr chassis....one of the last ones!!

Posted 08 July 2018 - 07:13 AM

I see Mr Moss does two flavours of water pump for the 6 at 40 quid and 52 quid. I’d be intrigued to know what the differences are!

#12 TR NIALL

TR NIALL

Niall Callery

• TR Register Members
  • 4,429 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 07:45 AM

Bought one off TRGB at the International at £34 that included the Gasket,Made by County.

#13 iani

iani
  • TR Register Members
  • 138 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 10:41 AM

Bought one off TRGB at the International at £34 that included the Gasket,Made by County.

That will be the one I ordered last night then, I’ll keep my eye out for an original and get it reconditioned when I can.

#14 TR NIALL

TR NIALL

Niall Callery

• TR Register Members
  • 4,429 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 11:36 AM

That will be the one I ordered last night then, I’ll keep my eye out for an original and get it reconditioned when I can.

I fitted one of the County Water Pumps about 3yr ago to a TR6 and it hasnt given any problems.

#15 astontr6

astontr6
  • TR Register Members
  • 921 posts
  • Cars Owned::1973 TR6 from new.

Posted 08 July 2018 - 01:19 PM

Regards,
Waldi

Hi Waldi,

The current supply of third part water pumps is crap, which seems to affect many other marques as well! Do not throw away your original BL pump! The best solution is to send your own pump off to one of the well known water pump re-conditioners' here in the UK. Mine was in a real state but it came back looking like new, but not cheap? Also it had been pressure tested. I doubt that the third party ones are? In my view its not a PQI part but a spares development task. We will have to see if Roger H. responds?

Bruce.

#16 michaeldavis39

michaeldavis39
  • 21 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 01:20 PM

For anyone interested I had my original waterpump refurbished by SPwaterpumps.com Re-Manufacture your unit @ 75.00Plus Carriage & Vat. More expensive than the cheap County ones that people are taking pot luck at it. My father always told me buy cheap buy twice pay for quality get something nice- it's worked all my life- e.g i paid £800 for a Bosch washing machine now 20 years old only ever had one repair- brushes on the motor wore out- never even had a new belt! - machine is used heavily by family of five!How many washing machines would most families have gone through in 20 years - my friend has had half a dozen- makes my Bosch look cheap in comparison!

I keep reading on these forums of cheap parts breaking or not fit for purpose yet the parts still get sold and nothing happens to sort this out- why? Does not make sense- if all classic car owners stopped buying cheap parts and just had originals refurbed then perhaps we could stop the sale of poor components- who is taking charge of the quality of parts or is it a case of going to trading standards with every poor quality part and letting them investigate? If no one complains to the right authorities this cycle will never stop.

Edited by michaeldavis39, 08 July 2018 - 01:47 PM.

#17 PodOne

PodOne
  • 62 posts
  • Cars Owned::MK1 MX5's 1.6 standard
    Mk1 MX5 1.6 Turbo
    1969 TR6 PI undergoing a complete restro

Posted 08 July 2018 - 06:51 PM

Even if you pay top money for parts the quality is still worse than 5,10 and 15 years ago its no gaurantee I've even bought blue printed parts and had them fail due to skimping with seals etc, everyone is out to save money and I think the actual quality of materials used is now poor eg rubber. NOS is as good as it gets if you can get them and repaired.

While talking Bosch I bought a £900 fridge freezer 4 years ago thinking it would last us 15 years plus; result it died yesterday!

#18 RobinTR6

RobinTR6
  • TR Register Members
  • 3,196 posts
  • Cars Owned::Classic cars including italians. Dont mind getting my hands dirty. Finished restoring my a couple of TR6's and a BOC on TR5.Fell for an Alfa 2000 GTV 1972, barn find, great drive. Decided to go back to TR's. Recently acquired a part restored TR6....and.........see the posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 07:16 PM

Mine is from TRGB now done 15k Ian without issue, they are pretty good at what they sell and stand by their spares. So shouldn't be any problems.
Regards

Robin

#19 iani

iani
  • TR Register Members
  • 138 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 07:42 PM

Mine is from TRGB now done 15k Ian without issue, they are pretty good at what they sell and stand by their spares. So shouldn't be any problems.

Thanks Robin, the new Brake M/cyl they supplied me a few months ago lasted 8 miles, my faith in their quality control is rather diminished I'm afraid.

Ian

#20 RogerH

RogerH
  • TR Register Members
  • 21,831 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 07:50 PM

Thanks Robin, the new Brake M/cyl they supplied me a few months ago lasted 8 miles, my faith in their quality control is rather diminished I'm afraid.

Ian

Hi Ian,

none of the suppliers have any quality control; they are suppliers.

What was wrong with the Brake M/cy..

There have been failures in the past but that should have been sorted.

Roger

Time is a drug - Too much will kill you
Forgive your enemy, but remember the ass-hole's name.
never surrender, never give up and always balance your butterflies

Veni Vidi Flati
TR4A - July 1967 daily driver         2010 RBRR No.22  2014 RBRR No.69
TR4 - March 1962 transforming like the proverbial caterpillar - it's now Royal Blue and now with the chromy bits.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: tr6

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users