Try searching eBay for 'drill bit stand' plenty of options around...... or you can find an old block of wood and drill suitably-sized holes and make your own.

........ Andy

Try searching eBay for 'drill bit stand' plenty of options around...... or you can find an old block of wood and drill suitably-sized holes and make your own.

........ Andy

Finding the right drill bit to drill the correct size hole in the wood can be a challenge????

And whilst yer at it,f

find 2 drill size plates,

one metric,one Imperialas for

some strange reason, drill makers will not put size ont end oft drill

so size gets took off

fair enough, some indent the sizes, most dontbu

tt,its still ard wurk finding a size mark on an olde drill

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1311.R1.TR1.TRC0.A0.H2.Xdrill+size+gauge.TRS0&_nkw=drill+size+gauge&_sacat=0

M

Hi Pete,

when drilling holes for 1/8th rivets try a #30 drill. This is 0.003" bigger and allows the rivet to fit in without any fuss.

Roger

What, and not use my box of 1/8"? I just wiggle it about a bit in the hole, if you'll excuse the expression.

Pete

Hi Pete,

indeed a small wiggle usually works very well.

Roger

It's all getting far to technical for me now !

Of course you would need a drill stand for....

Metric

Imperial

Letter

And of course number drills.

Just to add a bit of confusion!

The problem with blocks of wood or metal is that for many sizes, we often have several bits of some sizes. Also, keeping separate indexes for fractional, metric, and number/letter sets is a pain.

What I settled on is an ordinary two-drawer tool box with two trays in each drawer. Each tray is divided into compartments. Small compartments for the smaller drills, larger for the larger ones. Except for the very largest ones, each compartment can hold multiple drills.

Also, the fractional, metric, and number/letter drills are all in there in order of their size. So if the plan calls for a 5.5 mm and I don't happen to have one in the 5.5 mm compartment, the adjacent compartments may have drills very close in size.

The four trays have well over 100 compartments covering 1/2" down to less than 1 mm. Not all of them necessarily have drills in them.

Ed

EdIMG_3640a.JPG

Edited by ed_h

Ed,

I have now bought some pen storage trays that will fit into an engineers tool chest drawer, four trays per drawer and I will end up with the same thing as you. I have so many of some sizes, and none of some sizes that I need flexibility and not the pre-drilled stand.

Alan

s-l1600.jpg

Here's mine, it is Bakelite.post-5419-0-75898600-1493280025_thumb.jpgpost-5419-0-43439200-1493280007_thumb.jpg

post-5419-0-37313700-1493280043_thumb.jpg

Edited by SuzanneH

....and under what listing would you store a drill that -

starts off left hand

has a parallel mid section

and is right hand at the end

Roger

attachicon.gifP1020633a.jpg

That would be the "Cheap Chinese putty drill" listing.

Bob.

All you need is a set of Presto brand drills in a proper case. These will have proper end markings and will still be cutting after 40 years.

Forget all about letter and number sizes. Metric in 0.1 mm steps if doing accurate stuff, 0.5mm will do if just bodging.

Don't store in wood. Will go rusty. Nylon would be OK.

Over here, the best drill index systems are made by Huot. I have several -- decades old and probably centuries of life ahead of them. They've got a variety of different styles.

EDP10550-m.jpgEDP13040-m.jpg

Edited by Don H.