Very interesting. Not the prettiest of cars but unique and with a Welsake Cross Flow head...how many of those exist I wonder?

Did it have Vanguard engine given that the TR2 came later?

That has to be one of the most poorly-conceived cars I've ever seen. Kudos to someone for saving it, and kudos again to someone who takes on its restoration. I'm not sure I'd walk across the street to see it. The TRX seems to run counter to everything I've always liked about Triumph. It's never made any sense to me.

Strangled at birth - and rightly so. What an abortion. I saw this at the first Triumph meeting I went to at Woburn after buying my first TR3A in 1972. Couldn't believe how awful it was and it almost put me off Triumphs for life. Room 101 fodder!

Hmm yes it is interesting but not nice looking, I wonder if anyone ever managed to get all the electrics and hydraulics to work right. Good luck trying to get a bonnet made for it.

Stuart.

Not a pretty car IMO but follows the styling of the time

- think Austin Atlantic.

Still part of Triumph history, if not an important part.

You could say the same of the Fury', although that

is a much prettier car.

AlanR

I seem to recall that there was a fellow who owned two (yes!) of these and that one appeared at a Triumph gathering in the grounds of a stately home in the Midlands in the early days of the TR Register. I think the venue was Weston Park, just off the A5, between Telford and Cannock, and it was about 1974 or 1975. I think I saw the two together somewhere, but I could be mistaken - it was a while ago!

As has been noted, not dissimilar to the Austin A90 Atlantic, and neither was a sports car.

The technology at that time meant that the clever hydraulic things on the TRX were doomed to failure, and just added to weight.

The Fury, on the other hand, would have made a nice production sports car.

Ian Cornish

Please don't believe everything you see claimed about the TRX having a Weslake cylinder head: maybe it's a good selling point, but it may not be an authentic claim. When I conducted an in-depth interview of Triumph's David Eley (who was an unimpeachable source regarding the Standard-Triumph engines of the day) - and that interview appeared in TRIUMPH WORLD at the end of the 1990s - he insisted that it was an in-house exercise.

Hon. Pres.

hats off to John Ward for the foresight to save both these cars (along with quite a few others) in the 60's. I remember sitting in both of these when I was a kid and subsequently over the years talking to John

about his fine collection of cars. He will be spinning in his grave knowing the bonnet has been lost (no doubt it was not strapped down well enough when trailered away)

You must look at the styling with 65 year old rose tinned spectacles, remember "export or die"

The TRX and the Atlantic alike, in common with many other models of the late 1940s and early 50s, do not seem to photograph well . . . . especially when viewed through a wide angle lens. In the metal they can look a good deal more attractive than on the printed page. As the late John Ward was kind enough to demonstrate at quite a few Standard and Triumph gatherings decades ago.

The Triumph and the Austin were designed as open touring cars, roadsters in an old fashioned sense, not sports cars - and it's hardly reasonable to criticise them for not being more sporting.

They were also, let us not forget, both designed for the North American market, not the European , , , , , and compared to some American cars of the time, looked positively restrained . . . . .

As for the electro-hydraulic fitments, I can't see why they couldn't have been made to work adequately given then current technology - the TRX cars were a trio of innovative prototypes, which did not elicit a sufficiently enthusiastic response to have the bugs ironed out in the normal course of development.

Cheers

Alec

...They were also, let us not forget, both designed for the North American market, not the European , , , , , and compared to some American cars of the time, looked positively restrained . . . . .

Probably true on both accounts. The underlying logic has never made any sense to me, though. We made millions of perfectly good American cars in America during that period. Why the British manufacturers thought they could succeed with an English-built version of an American car makes is beyond me. They had a LOT more success when they brought British designs to the US market. They're smart enough to this day not to lose the British roots of the marques sold here. (Even if they're German or Indian cars!)

The Nash Metropolitan was another British attempt to produce a small car for the American market. Horrible-looking machine and didn't sell well - too pricey for the American market.

Ian Cornish

The Nash Metropolitan was another British attempt to produce a small car for the American market. Horrible-looking machine and didn't sell well - too pricey for the American market.

Ian Cornish

And now very sought after over there.

Stuart.

• 4 weeks later...

I was introduced to the late John Ward many years ago by Pete Cox (of C&B fame)and being taken to his workshop cum garage where he not only had the two TRX cars but the TR Fury as well. I can't recall how he obtained either of them but he did say there was a third TRX built. If my memory serves me correctly, he owned a silver car which was in very good condition and a much rougher white one. I think John said the third car was a horrific shade of purple!

I believe the engine was a bog standard Vanguard unit. There was no mention of a Weslake head or any other special tuning gizmos

fitted to it. The same goes for the Fury. John also had a very smart Red TR3A. I wonder where that is now?

Hogie

• 1 year later...

sorry to dig up this old thread but I thought I would give an update about the car.

Thanks to Graham Robson and others we now know the head was NOT created by Weslake but was a Triumph in-house job. It would be interesting to know if any other cars were fitted with this head or if it is unique to KHV 20?

The bonnet was not lost by a careless owner but by a UK transport company while bringing back to Germany. We have been able to find a company who will be able to make a replacement at a reasonable cost but would like to contact the owner of KHP 712 to get some correct measurements and photos especially of the fittings.

We also have another experimental engine X538E which we believe belongs to KHP 712 and again it would be interesting to speak with the present owner to find more details. If anyone (in America) knows the present owner perhaps you would be so kind as pass on my email address. It is the above registration without a gap "KHV20" prefixed by "TRX." (don't forget the dot) the domain is @virginmedia.com.

In a recent Triumph World article about the TRX, the TR register Press Officer, Wayne Scott is quoted as saying that he believes this is the car owned and shown by John Ward at several club meets during the 70s. I can confirm that this is not that car. John was seen in KHP 712, distinctive by the rear tow bar. It was KHP 712 that was sold to a dealer who sold it on to someone in America in 2000 or 2001. It is this person we would very much like to contact. The condition of KHV 20 has not deteriorated in the least since it was bought in 1999 however, in 1999 it did have a bonnet :).

The car is in very good condition and almost complete with nothing major missing. Some of the fitting may have to be remade as well as finding or remaking switch buttons/covers and unfortunately badges.

Presently there are no plans to restore the car in the near future as other projects have to be completed but if someone wishes to take on a challenge they could always contact me at the above email address and make an offer we cannot refuse :D . I do not look on this forum often so please send an email.

Best Regards

Andy

• 11 months later...

TRX has popped up on a US web site - with suitable hype. Is this the ad that is being discussed?

https://barnfinds.com/the-very-first-tr-triumph-trx-prototype-find/

Peter W

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

sorry to dig up this old thread but I thought I would give an update about the car.

Thanks to Graham Robson and others we now know the head was NOT created by Weslake but was a Triumph in-house job. It would be interesting to know if any other cars were fitted with this head or if it is unique to KHV 20?

The bonnet was not lost by a careless owner but by a UK transport company while bringing back to Germany. We have been able to find a company who will be able to make a replacement at a reasonable cost but would like to contact the owner of KHP 712 to get some correct measurements and photos especially of the fittings.

We also have another experimental engine X538E which we believe belongs to KHP 712 and again it would be interesting to speak with the present owner to find more details. If anyone (in America) knows the present owner perhaps you would be so kind as pass on my email address. It is the above registration without a gap "KHV20" prefixed by "TRX." (don't forget the dot) the domain is @virginmedia.com.

In a recent Triumph World article about the TRX, the TR register Press Officer, Wayne Scott is quoted as saying that he believes this is the car owned and shown by John Ward at several club meets during the 70s. I can confirm that this is not that car. John was seen in KHP 712, distinctive by the rear tow bar. It was KHP 712 that was sold to a dealer who sold it on to someone in America in 2000 or 2001. It is this person we would very much like to contact. The condition of KHV 20 has not deteriorated in the least since it was bought in 1999 however, in 1999 it did have a bonnet :).

The car is in very good condition and almost complete with nothing major missing. Some of the fitting may have to be remade as well as finding or remaking switch buttons/covers and unfortunately badges.

Presently there are no plans to restore the car in the near future as other projects have to be completed but if someone wishes to take on a challenge they could always contact me at the above email address and make an offer we cannot refuse :D . I do not look on this forum often so please send an email.

Best Regards

Andy

There appears to be some confusion here as I am certain that the car I was presented with when asked to find out more was indeed KHP712. When I consulted with those in the know amongst club members many backed the story up of it being the ex-John Ward car. However, it seems they/ we were right but just not looking at the right car in the first place! I have put an appeal out for more information on the TRX spotted on a trailer at a show this summer in TR Action. I presume that is HKV 20? Those pics sent in to me by a member. But again, no number plate so hopefully you or someone else will be able to spread some more light on this so that we may accurately tell the story.