Useless So Called Upgrade Parts ?

Those cheap wood gear knobs that come off during quick shifting

Outdated Carburettors replacing the perfectly good PI system

( into the trenches)

Outdated Italian Carburettors replacing the perfectly good british PI system

( into the trenches)

Cannot agree on Logic Overdrive - it makes the overdrive operate the way it always ought to have done (but we didn't have the micro-electronics available in the 1950s).

And Silicon Brake Fluid: in use for 20 years in my car without any problems. Those competing in racing and rallying might not use it, but for road cars it is fine IMHO.

Ian Cornish

Pirelli 175x80HR15 Cinturato CF67 tyres fitted to TR6 5.1/2" rims on a TR3A in the wet......in 1976. Sold them the following month to a TR4 owner who said they were wonderful - he had never driven on SP Sports I guess.

Cheap stainless steel exhaust systems that do not fit without hitting the chassis and/or blow their silencing stuffing out the tailpipe inside of a month.

Chrome air-cleaners that are nice and shiny but reduce the air intake area by over 30% when compared to standard items.

Rubber door buffers that had to be gripped on the door edge with a pointed screw (Triumph Part No 574888 from the Accessory section TR6 parts book)

Peter W

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

Cheap stainless steel exhaust systems that do not fit without hitting the chassis and/or blow their silencing stuffing out the tailpipe inside of a month.

Yep and rattle like a can of beans :lol:

Must be getting close to buying a decent second hand MX5 by now ;)

I would like to point out that while i ageee with most of the items suggested I have many of them installed on my TR6 :) plus a few that havent been mentioned yet like rear anti roll bar and roller rockers. I ageee with IanC, the od logic controller is one of the few mods that I value and would not remove.

Stan

I've got the outdated carbs and the rocker oil feed and will swear by them, having no issues in over 100K miles with either ( rocker shaft has zero wear in that time, btw ). Never had a P.I. setup but the tales on this forum have effectively wilted my hankerings for one. Got the oil cooler too ( with thermostat ) but acknowledge it's superfluous - unless you get a kick out of 65 psi @ 2000 rpm minimum, with 100K+ on the block.

Oil catch tank eschewed in favour of a recycled factory-issue SMITHS PCV valve; again, over 100K happy miles therewith.

Can't stand with Peter on the solid rack mounts; these aggravate wear on the rack teeth which is precisely why TRIUMPH employed the rubber shock-resistant bushings that everyone loves to hate ( until they glom onto the solution pictured below for compressing same ). Still got my 45 year old originals in my cars; steering is nice and tight.

RACKBUSHINGCOMPRESSOR.jpg