• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well, Heavens above it passed the MOT with a very badly painted rear wing.   Had an interesting day today. I needed to spray the  rear wing from the TR4. I did this last week and it wen

Hi Folks, well that was quite prophetic !!!!!!  Lockdown on March 23rd certainly threw a spanner in the works, So after 8 months sleep the Blue Racer has risen and having risdid is now at ho

Hi Roger, I recently had the "opportunity" (not) to do some bodywork on and respray my rear wing. I bought a very cheap (customer return) small garden gazebo on ebay and put it up in my garage. I

Posted Images

I found that a very light dusting of a black guide coat (white obviously if dark top coat) before flatting highlights any imperfections or orange peel between each coat. These can then be flatted out. Then finish with 2500/3000 grit and G15 compound. Worked well for me. Bit labour intensive but what else have you got to do :rolleyes:

Alan.

Roger

I hate to say it.....................but wouldnt your stress levels and your wallet be better off if you paid someone to do this for you by now.

I had a similar epiphany years ago with plastering. Looks easy but aint.

Nick

Nooooo!

This is the best thread on the forum, if Roger gets close to finishing the car I am going to catch a plane to the UK sneek into his garage and remove some nuts, bolts and screws so the wheels fall off and he has to start again and I can have another few years of giggles at Rogers humourous posts

spanner.gif:ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

Nooooo!

This is the best thread on the forum, if Roger gets close to finishing the car I am going to catch a plane to the UK sneek into his garage and remove some nuts, bolts and screws so the wheels fall off and he has to start again and I can have another few years of giggles at Rogers humourous posts

Spare a thought for the poor suffering 'other arf' Kiwi.

:o

Bit labour intensive but what else have you got to do :rolleyes:

Alan.

Some decorating would be good......????

Spare a thought for the poor suffering 'other arf' Kiwi.

:o

I like you Alfred Hitchcock, you wouldn't like to come round and do some decorating would you.....????

Nooooo!

Noooooo, I repeat. Nooooo......!!!!!

Edited by SuzanneH

Hi Peter,

Nearly! :rolleyes:

This last week I have been attacking some irritating rust spots on the 4A.

It started off with cleaning the chassis and re-protecting but I noticed an odd bulge in the sill just rear of the front off-side wing.

Anyway I got rid of the bulge, but then had a big hole to contend with :o

Whilst pondering what to do my gaze was averted by a similar bulge in the area of the fwd off-side body/chassis attachment.

This is quite a complicated item to fabricate and took a couple of days.

Having removed the wing to gain access I found a few areas of interest that were quietly stewing.

I'm hoping to have it back together this evening or tomorrow as we are heading Cornwall direction on Sunday for a short break.

The TR4 will be re-started when I get back. First job is to buff up the paint job I did on the wing and then in October!!!!!!!!!

Roger

Edited by RogerH

Hi Folks,

back to business. I've been rejuvenated by a few days down in Cornwall and an nice Lobster - yum yum.

The wing has been sitting in the garage for about two weeks now in a flatted condition.

So today I decided to finish it off.

I started off by using a woolen bonnet on the leccy drill with some Halfords rubbing compound and then some G3.

After a while I realised I hadn't done the 2000 and 2500 W&D grit.

So out with the W&D and a bit of elbow grease.

The surface was still full of swirls. So back to 1500 grit. This removed the swirls and the 2000 & 2500 gave a good base for the rubbing compounds.

The Halfords compound is much coarser than the G3 and is a good step after the 2500 grit.

I wasn't sure what the leccy drill would do to the surface - as it happens the effect was good and a lot easier than doing it all by hand.

After the Halfords stuff the G3 and G10 gave what appeared to be a very good surface.

I finished off with Autoglym, this really brought the shine out.

The overall effect was a very shiny surface with no orange peel - result. (it only took about a month).

Roger

Bu99er!!! I've become a frustrated fundamentalist in the extreme.

I went to fit my nice shiny wing today. I gave it a quick wipe down to remove some dust and staring back at me was a faint grey streak.

I had rubbed down a small area just a wee bit too much and the primer was beginning to show through.

I have a small area on the bonnet I need to blow in so out with the little spray gun, mix the paint and make a right ol' mess.

I'll rub it down on Monday as tomorrow (sunday) is the STMD at Brooklands.

When the wing is fitted I really must try and get the MOT sorted - so close, yet so far away.

Roger

I am consistently useless. If there was a race or competition for being useless I would noit win it because I'm useless.

Why? i hear you asking am I proclaiming my uselessness unto you all.

Well, as you know the I rubbed the wing a little too much - I didn;t get a genie but a little grey whisp.

OK, so I put another coat on the dodgy area of the wing. I also do a little touch up spray on the bonnet for a similar problem (no end to my uselessness).

I let it go off and set to with the angle grinder 2000 grit and I'll be bu99ered if I don't repeat my error - another grey whisp on the wing and bonnet.

A new strategy is required. So this morning I attack both areas again but concentrate the paint in particular areas.

Success, the wing has come up very nice. I still need to use the cutting compounds on the bonnet but the grit has done its job.

Perhaps I'll soon beable to fit the wing back on the car.

Roger

PS - tomorrow I have to finish of refurbing my 4A front screen frame and then fit the glass - oh what joy beholds me.

Well, there was the first one that the garage put on. And then I put a coat on because I had to do a repair (naughty garage).

This needed rubbing down and in general was very good, however there was an area that needed a touch of paint.

I then rubbed through the upper wing area the other day so that has a small area with an extra coat.

I may have missed a coat or two. But as I have rubbed off just less than what I put on there ain't a lot there - but it does look very good.

Roger

• 1 month later...

Hi Peter,

if I can't rely on you who can I rely on.

The TR4 has taken a back seat at present.

The TR4A decided it had been ignored enough and started to fall to pieces - Front suspension, Overdrive,

I'm putting it all together at present in hope that I'll have it fiished today for MOT tomorrow for Harrogate on Friday.

never fear though after Harrogate (and Scotland) the TR4 is back on the agenda.

Roger