Don't listen to them Roger. Do your own paint. Nothing like it when someone says great finish, who did it? B)

Alan

I'm still waiting for that experience. I usually get asked what colour I'm going to paint it, even though I have painted it.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well, Heavens above it passed the MOT with a very badly painted rear wing.   Had an interesting day today. I needed to spray the  rear wing from the TR4. I did this last week and it wen

Hi Folks, well that was quite prophetic !!!!!!  Lockdown on March 23rd certainly threw a spanner in the works, So after 8 months sleep the Blue Racer has risen and having risdid is now at ho

Hi Roger, I recently had the "opportunity" (not) to do some bodywork on and respray my rear wing. I bought a very cheap (customer return) small garden gazebo on ebay and put it up in my garage. I

Posted Images

Hi LJ,

the primer I put on the other day, from an aerosol, brought great accolades from a neighbour. He didn't much like the colour but thought the finish was great.

Sadly I haven't quite got the knack on the top coat - yet!!

Roger

Sounds good!

I used acrylic. I think a lot of the viewers don't know it didn't glisten like the two packs.

If you are mixing your own make sure 'the man' gives you the right thinner for the topcoat. (sigh)

Edited by littlejim

Well, the rain stopped (sort of) so I thought I would have a go at putting a top coat on this wing.

I built a little greenhouse in my garage in an attempt to keep the dust and bugs off the wet paint - dream on!!

Very simple construction - plastic sheet/wooden frame/vacuum cleaner to suck air and muck out.

I used a huge Terry toweling bath towel at one end to act as a door and an air filter. Not sure if it filtered much as the plastic sheet had a few gaps.

The wing was nicely rubbed down having removed the runs that I created in the first attempt.

The paint went on quite well but within minutes I could see where the previous runs had been (and still were) - bugger.

I haven't quite got the hang of this painting lark yet.

After the paint had set and dried I rubbed down these barely visible pre-runs -

a pre-run is a run that happens before you put the paint on!!

It is a bit like a pre-echo on a vinyl record - if you have an answer to this and a example please post it and I'll see if you are right.

So third attempt. Again the paint went on well (amazing what you can do with a spatula) and the pre-runs were now a thing of the past (that would be a post pre-run).

The indoor greenhouse sort of worked. There were no significant flying things (dragonflies, dandelion heads or the bats as on previous occassions) affecting the orange peel. However there were dust particles that will need rubbing down and polishing (note to self - must not rub too hard otherwise the orange peel may disappear)

I keep telling Su'e about how dusty it is in the garage but will she get out there with her Nanette - no she won't.

I shall let the paint set good and proper and then set to with the armoury that I am acruing - apart from some nice W&D I have G3 for serious cutting back, G10 for the polishing and G4S to keep an eye on things.

Will the Sun ever shine again.

Roger

My Nanette is an original from the US of A, in a phsychodelic plastic sleeve, from the 1960s. There is no way it is for use in that dirty old cluttered garage.

Don't forget to ask Roger what happened to his Tash yesterday, not had such a good laugh in ages, especially as he came to pick me up from Sainsburys totally unaware he looked like a tribal warrior ( in midnight blue).

Don't forget to ask Roger what happened to his Tash yesterday, not had such a good laugh in ages, especially as he came to pick me up from Sainsburys totally unaware he looked like a tribal warrior ( in midnight blue).

Thought he said he was going to wear a super duper mask to protect his respiratory system from all the toxins.

LJ, he did honest. His Tash must have been below the mask and the tribal warrior effect must have been caused by the mask just under his eyes.

I wish I had taken a photo before I got the giggles.

Hi LJ,

yes I did say that and in all fairness I achieved quite a good result.

Sadly I got carried away with all excitement and after a few moments of slurping the paint on I realised I was not sealed in properly.

I had a small gap between my cheek bone and my nose. This allowed paint mist to enter and cover my mouse in Royal Blue. It looked like a blue rinse.

I have now come up with a better idea to have a forced air feed - should I ever do this again. A painter I am not.

Roger

I love reading these updates about your car's rebuild Roger and often (perhaps not intentionally) I'm reduced to giggling much to the wonderment of my family and one or more Labradors

But I do wish you could also post some pictures every now and then!

You may be surprised to know that I like the third photo very much (you are developing into a man after my own heart ;) )

I'm also a little concerned that you haven't mentioned your tomatoes this year - are you not growing any?

Hi Peter,

I try very hard to keep this thread on a serious track regarding TR4 rebuilding.

Had a bit of a disaster with the Tom's. I popped a few seeds of Ailsa Craig and MoneyMaker in some trays.

The Ailsa's popped up albeit very slowly, however it took another two weeks for the Money Maker to pop their heads above the soil.

They are still in seed trays as they are quite small. But the Sun and warmth should get them going.

I also have three Cu's. Three seeds = three plants, quite a success. They are in their big growing pots but have a long way to go yet.

Had a disaster the other; We have a very large rose bush at the end of the garden held against a fence with very stout string - sadly not stout enough - the whole thing collapsed forward. I ended up doing some serious pruning and stake planting.

The garden looked really pretty a couple of weeks ago with the Apple and Plum trees in bloom plus all the other colourful garden things.

Eat your heart out Chelsea

Roger

Hi Folks,

Well it’s been a funny week or so. You may remember that I was trying to paint the front off-side wing.

Painting is dead easy – fill up the sprayer cup, point in the right direction and pull the trigger. What can go wrong. Actually quite a lot, possibly more!!

I have found that if you add thinners to the mix then the finish is very shiny. But vertical surfaces are prone to runs (unlike the England cricket team ho ho ho).

I tried putting less and less paint on but the runs always appeared.

If you do not add the thinners then the runs are less likely to appear but you then have ‘orange peel’ to contend with and the shine is a fraction less.

However in the list of things that can wrong the above were at the bottom.

Because I am spraying 2K paint I was trying various methods to keep the fumes at bey

Also airborne debris was a little irritating – dust particles, aphids, seeds and as I said before bats. I’m sure they were bats, difficult to see as they are very small ones.

My penultimate attempt to keep the fumes and dust away was something of a spectacle to observe.

I erected a plastic booth in the garage that should have eliminated all dust and bats – dream on!!

The actual structure was quite good but the filtering and airflow was hard to make work effectively.

So we have a structure that is iffy, what about the breathing system for the nut behind the gun. Now this was a moment of shear inspiration.

Holding the gun at arms length doesn;t help. Simple face masks are ineffective.

So a full face mask with air supply was needed.

When you were a child did your mum ever say not to put plastic bags over your head, well these were wise words as suffocation isn;t far away.

However If you pump air into your plastic bag then things improve dramatically.

So, out with the garden hose and the lilo turbo pump, tape the hose into the plastic bag and bobs your uncle. I know this sounds daft and I wouldn't recommend anybody copying this but it worked a treat.

The air in the bag was spot on and there was no trace of fumes at all.

Having got my structure, breathable air supply and paint (with thinners) in the gun I let rip.

The end result was a wing with paint, dust, moles, bats and bl**dy runs (again). but I could breath.

I couldn’t see - due to the condensation but I could breath.

This morning, having let the thing dry for a couple of days, I rubbed down all the runs and debris.

For all you bat lovers out there no bats were harmed in this escapade. A few were painted but I’m sure they are OK.

In a moment of madness I decided to have one last go at painting this thing and I decided to paint it in the middle of the back lawn – my logic was that no matter how clean I was trying to get things I was having no success. So paint it where all the flying kamikaze bugs are and see what happens.

The paint had no thinners. The wind was blowing the over spray away into next doors garden.

I’ll tell you what, their cat has a nasty cough. Well he has now.

Anyway the finished result was not as bad as it could have been. Most endangered species stayed away. Dust was minimal but present. The aphid count was up though.

No runs and no orange peel!! I now had a nice subtle lemon peel (so much nicer)

Doing it outside in the sunshine probably didn’t help the peel effect as it dried much quicker than it was doing it in the garage.

This afternoon I rubber it down and the final flatted finish is very good. Tomorrow, or the day after, I will rub it further with 2000 & 2500 grit and then buff with G3/10.

Stuart posted recently not to use anything courser than 1500 on 2K paint. Well on one of my previous attempts I used 1200 and he was right. No matter how much rubbing with 1500/2000 afterwards the 1200 marks remained.

When Stuart speaks – listen.

Fingers crossed that the final outcome is reasonable.

Roger

Hi Nick,

it is sad to say but you are spot on. I thought I would give it a go - what could possibly go wrong.

Yesterday I was all set to take the wing to the local sprayers but instead of turning left out of the garage to the sprayers I turned right and ended up in the back garden.

It was fate.

If it polishes up nicely then all is well. If it doesn't then a trip to the sprayers is still on.

Roger

Please God let this come to an end soon.............!!

I want the box with the hood and interior Trim of the car out of my hall, it must have been there about four years now.

Will it ever be gone....??

Edited by SuzanneH