Well, that went well.

Bonnet sorted for the time being.

Tunnel on.

Everything looked good so I took the plugs out, spun the engine over to get oil in the pipes.

Then blast off. The Blue Racer breathed life once again.

The engine sounds nice and smooth. There didn't appear to be as much smoke coning out the back as there was last year.

Washed the dust off the body work.

Pumped the tyres up.

I phoned the garage to book her in at 8am tomorrow.

Should be fun driving her there.

Will it pass? It stands a chance.

Roger

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well, Heavens above it passed the MOT with a very badly painted rear wing.   Had an interesting day today. I needed to spray the  rear wing from the TR4. I did this last week and it wen

Hi Folks, well that was quite prophetic !!!!!!  Lockdown on March 23rd certainly threw a spanner in the works, So after 8 months sleep the Blue Racer has risen and having risdid is now at ho

Hi Roger, I recently had the "opportunity" (not) to do some bodywork on and respray my rear wing. I bought a very cheap (customer return) small garden gazebo on ebay and put it up in my garage. I

Posted Images

Has it got a seat in it yet and have you put the grill on?

Edited by SuzanneH

Hi Stuart,

just got back from the MOT garage.

It did not pass - but!!

One split pin in a wishbone castle nut

The two lock nuts for the track rod ends

The killer was a leaking rear offside brake cylinder - this must have happened on the way there as there were no signs over the last four years.

However the journey there revealed that the original seats are awful (I must get some TR4A seats).

And the throttle return spring is way too light - the throttle was as touchy as hell.

I should get this sorted today.tomorrow then back on Tuesday.

All in all something of a result.

Roger

Hi Stuart,

fortunately I don;t smoke and your MX5 seats may be the cheaper option.

Roger

I do have a pair of 4a seats if you are desperate to go down that route, 1 is good, the other needs a section of vinyl replacing.

Stuart.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=181501605334&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:GB:3160

Lots of good parts here Roger if it ends up cheap enough.

Seats and a Surrey top are worth the current bids.

You'd have the VIN and plates (prob worth a grand as a private plate!) for another project because you know you want to..........

Now here is one for the memory cells.

Does anybody remember my posts bemoaning the clouds of smoke coming out the back end.

Well, I've been investigating bedding the rings in and things like that.

Clearly the smoke if a problem from a highly technical fault. A fault so technical that I don;t understand it.

It couldn't be anything as simple as toooooo much oil in the sump. That would really be stupid

Mind you, I've done some howlers recently (I went to Harrogate)

Out of curiosity I decided to look at the dip stick. As it happens the oil was actually over the max line, in fact well over.

I'm wondering if the line on the dip stick has moved down (that would be highly technical - line drift due to plate tutonics in the metal structure).

Driving to the MOT station tomorrow should be quite a revelation - smoke of no smoke.

Roger

Good news :)

The Blue Racer is now road legal (bl**dy hell - look out).

The new spring on the throttle had the effect of making the engine stall at the traffic lights - slight adjustment carried out.

The gearbox sounds rather whirry, although it has no carpet keeping the noise down. I may take it out over the winter and get that sorted.

The engine was missing (not that it was not there, simply missing the odd spark). Could be the dizzy (Look out MartinJ, another coming your way).

The smoke from the exhaust has reduced so I think whoever put too much oil in it needs a damn good kicking.

So I think the winter/spring check list will be -

Sort the engine - sparks/oil/carbs

Front offside wing***

Door windows/weather strips.

Sort the gearbox.

Install carpets and side paneling.

In the warmer weather fit the convertible roof.

Whilst standing by the car yesterday in the MOT queue I noticed a ripple in the paint on the front offside wing (top rear corner). This will need sorting.

Roger

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Folks,

I've been very busy on the 4A lately so the Blue Racer has had to stand in the shade.

It is now all tax'd and MOT'd. I theory I could drive it down the road - bloody madness.

Anyway, on the way to the MOT garage I found that the original seats were not to my liking so I considered getting some of the later 4A seat which I like.

I bought a pair that looked reasonable but on closer inspection at home found they need some serious work on them.

So I have shopping list. Where are the best places to get the following and how were unobtanium parts sourced -

The two long springs at the back

The rubber buffers at the rear bottom

Sponge kits

Vinyl/leather covers

Both frames are extensively rusty. The drivers frame had numerous cracks in it.

All fixable and time to do it in.

Roger

You should have bought the pair that I offered you Roger. Much better condition and complete just needing a bit of one cover and a bit of foam replacing.

Stuart.

having got my head round the stripping process and taken the first steps to (as they say) having a go at the project in hand ...i have taken apart the tr4..mothballed the body and sent the first set of parts to blasted and etch primed..all ok up to now.... put into the van another set of parts...i.e rear diff...front springs and associated shocker parts...leaf springs ..hubs discs etc.........to drop off when i picked up the chassis.........unfortunatley some bastard stole my van along with said parts, a portion of my tools and work test equpment......reason i,m posting this is hoping someone is offered these parts and to be aware but also to ask if the TR4 rear diff is the same as any other model...i.e herald ..vitesse as i am going to have to try and find an alternative rear end....anyone know of a solution to my little quandry........any help or thoughts appreciated........frank

Oh Frank, I'm speechless. That really is very bad news.

If you put a post in the wanted section or start a new thread on theTR forum asking for any help in replacing parts you may get some help.

Make out a list of all the items you need and post that.

Does the van insurance cover any of the TR items?

Roger