• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well, Heavens above it passed the MOT with a very badly painted rear wing.   Had an interesting day today. I needed to spray the  rear wing from the TR4. I did this last week and it wen

Hi Folks, well that was quite prophetic !!!!!!  Lockdown on March 23rd certainly threw a spanner in the works, So after 8 months sleep the Blue Racer has risen and having risdid is now at ho

Hi Roger, I recently had the "opportunity" (not) to do some bodywork on and respray my rear wing. I bought a very cheap (customer return) small garden gazebo on ebay and put it up in my garage. I

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Folks,

guess what I did this morning (no I didn;t do that :wub: ) I put the battery on charge on the 'Blue Racer' - yippee.

Having read a post on the TR5 forum about tax discs finishing at the end of October, I have decided to make an all out effort to get the car MOT'd and taxed whilst in my name.

What needs doing!! well not a lot really.

Top up gearbox with oil and make oil tight.

Fit tunnel

Fit steering wheel

Tighten wheels

Give everything a once over just in case.

Pass MOT and get tax

easy peasy (dream on)

Will it happen - I really hope so.

Off to fit the steering wheel.

Roger

Hi Tony,

I've just spent over three hours looking for the nut behind the wheel - that is nut that holds the steering wheel in place.

I've been so busy getting the 4A back on the road it took a complete month out of the working week !!!

And, no I didn't do it - honest.

Roger

HI Roger, Have faith, one week after MoT and tax, first since 1986...hoorah, and all is nearly well, just problem with my horn, sound familiar.

Fitted steering wheel, drove round fine, MoT only one of the two horns worked and that went off every right hander and the centre motif was not lined up, off it all came and rebuilt/insulated the pencil assembly. Such a joy to have relatively minor things to worry about after suspension, brakes etc. etc.

150 miles since MoT, All nuts re-tightened, oil leaks sort of sorted ( removed one of the two O rings on the oil filter casing...should have gone to specsavers..) and looking forward to the rest of the Summer.

I have a 400 mile round trip in 3 weeks, sons wedding and driving TRinnie to Warwickshire, so any advice on number of stops, spares to carry etc...first big run for both of us.

First picture of her is on my Avatar

Andy

The Blue Racer now has a steering wheel and a hooter.

I nearly fitted the front bumper but ended up painting the back of it for protection. That'll get fitted tomorrow.

The bonnet catch, tighten wheels, check GB oil & start engine for tomorrow.

It's getting exciting.

Roger

Roger is now about to enter the post restoration phase - study navel, pick nose etc.

Short period where the shakedown runs will keep him occupied.

Currently I'm trying microscopy. probably start with belly button fluff and nasal hair/excretions etc.

Hi Paul,

I have fitted my version of the usual emergency bonnet release.

Hi Peter,

I've got many pics of it coming together but it is not finished. When I get the upholstery in I'll post some pics.

Hi Jim,

I've been collecting belly button fluff and picking my nose since childhood. I has to be done.

Roger

Progress may be being made or possibly not.

Today I fitted the front bumper.

Lubricated the door locks and the doors now close nicely.

I closed the bonnet.

I fitted a stick on rear view mirror as a temporary measure.

This all appears good. Except for the bonnet - you've guessed it haven't you - it now doesn't open (fiddlesticks)

Before I get the angle grinder out has anyone got any simple tips. I don't really want to cut great holes in the bulkhead.

The cable is pulling correctly. It must be out of alignment.

Before you ask I did use a piece of card to see how well they line up. The marks looked good but apparently not good enough.

Tomorrow should be fun.

Roger

PS - grey cell engaged. I shall remove the bolts to the hinge side arms and then I can wiggle and centralise the latch.

Roger

Edited by RogerH

Roger

It happened to me exactly as you say.

The releases were both working but the prong bit (male) was stuck in the receiving bit (female) and would not let go.

I managed to undo all the bolts holding the bonnet hinges and the bonnet front lifted up enough to peer inside.

Even when I managed to whack the prong with a long metal bar it refused to let go.

Eventually I fashioned a long pole with the right socket on the end and managed to undo the 4 bolts holding the receiving bit to the bulkhead.

As the last bolt undid there was a loud 'ping' and the bonnet bounced up into the air, free at last.

I drove around for 2 weeks without a bonnet before I was brave enough to fit and close it again.

The Webers sounded fantastic without a bonnet and I was tempted to stay like that until someone told me it was illegal.

When this happened to my dog once a bucket of water was all that was required.

Sadly, reliving this experience reminds me that TR's are not as easy as dogs to live with.

I replaced both the prong and the receiving bit with new parts. They are **** but they are not worn and they shouldn't get stuck (the originals get a sharp edge over time which gets stuck.)

Apparently you should not remove the extra fork which comes on the prong (TR6) as it is designed to hold the bonnet down in a crash so it doesn't cut you in half when the front end stoves in.

Every single time I have closed the bonnet since I have listened extra carefully for the satisfying click which indicates correct adjustment.

If it happens to me again I shall drive off a cliff and duck under the dashboard so the bonnet doesn't get me. Hah!

Edited by Paul Harvey

Roger -

Just had the same happen to me.

Car has had the bonnet open for the last year -

in storage with battery charger leads attached.

Closed the bonnet - took it for MOT - and the

bonnet would not open.

In my case, the bonnet pull seems to have the

resistance I would expect through the cable

operating the spring on the catch, and the cable

returns on release, so I suspect the pin is jammed

in the catch, rather than the cable being broken.

My plan is to hold the bonnet pull out (with a coin)

and drive up and down a bumpy road for a while.

Oh Yes, and fingers crossed as well !

If that doesn't work, then it's the headlights/hinges

routine.

If that doesn't work, it's the long pole routine.

Never happened to me before.

I always, always, bang the bonnet a bit as I pull the

release - just out of habit.

AlanR

Edited by TR 2100

"Before I get the angle grinder out has anyone got any simple tips. I don't really want to cut great holes in the bulkhead. "

Roger

I just get under the dash, pop out the plastic plug (that's in the great hole), shine the torch on the bonnet lock bits and push the stuck bit with a screw driver, replace plug.

Actually, sadly, since plugging the great hole, the bonnet has never jammed.

It was just during the fitting/adjustment period I needed it. (About every 5-10 minutes.)

latch.jpg

Edited by littlejim

If you jam the bonnet pull out (pair of mole grips/whatever) then standing in front of the car get hold of the front of the bonnet and give it a lifting shove rearwards that often releases it, failing that the removal of r/hand head lamp will give you enough access to use a broom handle with a notch in the end to spring the catch.

Used to be a perennial problem with early XJ6 bonnets.

Stuart.

Here is my custom made tool. Insert the tool through the choke cable hole (push the grommet), fiddle a bit to catch the bonnet latch from underneath and pull the handle of the tool: Pop! It operates the same way as an emergency bonnet release and works wonder.

post-11469-0-68981900-1408527399_thumb.jpg

Many thanks for all your ideas to release the catch (even LittleJims mega hole).

I removed the hinges from the front (no grille fitted at present) and the catch simply popped off.

I now need to get it all aligned before I do anything serious.

Roger

Hi Paul,

it's called a tow rope :P:lol::lol::lol:

The bonnet is now in place (and can open) and the catch working very well.

Just need to check GB oil level and put the tunnel on then I can power her up for the very first time (today)

Roger