• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well, Heavens above it passed the MOT with a very badly painted rear wing.   Had an interesting day today. I needed to spray the  rear wing from the TR4. I did this last week and it wen

Hi Folks, well that was quite prophetic !!!!!!  Lockdown on March 23rd certainly threw a spanner in the works, So after 8 months sleep the Blue Racer has risen and having risdid is now at ho

Hi Roger, I recently had the "opportunity" (not) to do some bodywork on and respray my rear wing. I bought a very cheap (customer return) small garden gazebo on ebay and put it up in my garage. I

Posted Images

Hi Neil,

many thanks for the link.

I've rubbed down and seriously cleaned the area with thinners.

I've got my own back on the fish eyes - I've poked paint in them -he he!! they can;t see now.

Can;t do anything now till Tuesday. If the next coat still comes up fishy (ha ha) then I'll invest in your cleaner.

How many coats of paint can you put on before you can't open the doors. :blink:

Roger

Thinners is aggressive stuff to go slopping around on new paint.

There is a solvent for wiping panels before painting. It dissolves grease etc but not paint.

My tin is called "Panel-Wipe" but there are loads of other names.

You might like to apply this with a plant-sprayer bottle.

If you intend using panel wipe then the correct way is to use two pieces of lint free cloth. One to apply it and the other to take it off again or all you will do is wipe the contaminants around.

If you are having silicon problems on panels then you can ad an anti-silicon agent to the paint a couple of drops will do a whole gun full but you will have to use it for all subsequent coats. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dupont-459s-Anti-Cratoring-Anti-Silicon-Additive-for-ideal-smart-repair-/141152160043?pt=UK_Body_Shop_Supplies_Paint&hash=item20dd53092b

FWIW it works by adding a small amount of silicon binder so it doesnt turn into small craters and instead just flows like normal.

Stuart.

Not a lot happened this week-end as we were away on the Welsh Week-end - it didn't rain in Wales all week-end.

I thought we and 50 odd cars had been transported to some film studio simulating Wales (a bit like the moon landing) but no it was the real thing.

When I say not a lot happened the rad on my 4A sprang a leek leak, which I cured almost instantly with Holts Radweld. Never used it before and I was most impressed.

Also our convoy stopped on a sweeping downhill bend with me near the back - the screech of tyres and lack of crash/splat was quite exciting.

Anyway today I removed the 4A rad and popped it into the repair shop. Before sending it away I had a look at the leak area.

The cause of the leak was due to one of the plastic straps that pass through the rad core to hold the cooling fan on.

The previous rad was there for thirteen years with no problem, this one lasted four years. The reason was a slightly loose plastic strap that allowed it to fret against on of the vertical tubes.

The TR4 also has the same arrangement. Today I removed it and will construct a better design that will not fret anything.

The paint that I poked in the eyes of the fish was nice and dry so I rubbed it down. The offside looked good and flat, sadly the nearside had quite a few dips left after rubbing down. So more dobs of paint was applied. That should be dry by Thursday for a final rubbing.

Whilst rubbing down the paint has anbody ever wondered what would happen if a Genie appeared.

Has anybody ever chanted some meaningful phrase in an attempt to prompt the Genie to appear........... no, neither have I.

Roger

They say practice makes perfect. Well I'm getting a fair bit of practice in with this painting lark.

I found a blemish on the bonnet and bult the dimple up with a dob of paint. When it had set I rubbed it down with 1500/2500/rubbing compound/ G10/autoglym

Surprisingly the blemmish was gone - that put a smile on my face.

Tomorrow I shall be investigating a water trap/filter for the spray gun (to eliminate a possible cause of problems).

Later that day or Friday I shall apply another coat (the final coat) to the area above the plennum in front of the screen. Fingers crossed it looks good.

Roger

Hate to be the bearer of bad news Roger but really speaking you should have had a water trap on the lines right from the start. Water molecules in suspension in the paint film can come back much later on in the form of micro blisters in the paint. Only way to get over it then is to start again from bare metal.

Stuart.

Hi Stuart,

I asked the man in the shop about that and thought I may be OK - bu99er.

It is not a major problem.

The areas that I have done are quite small and should the fish eyes get micro blisters then recovery action will swing into place (I wonder what that will be) - FAB.

Roger

Much will depend on the weather when you did it. Since you were outside it was probably a nice fine warm day.

Most likely you will get away with this.

Of course if you are doing this in January, in a barn somewhere, with an Atlantic gale blowing in, you will need all the water-trapping you can get.

You can try draining the compressor tank and see how much water you caught.

Worth having a downhill run in the compressor pipe to the water trap. Also worth draining the compressor and the trap before painting each time.

The other worry is oil, unless you have a compressor with graphite rings.

For painting I added an 'in line' filter just before the gun to make sure that no water or oil came into the paint gun.

All compressors will make water as they heat the air up in compressing it and then it immediately cools again inside the tank. Thats why there are drains on air tanks.

Stuart.

Hi roger, You might remember my good friend Reg introducing me to you and your better half at the Welsh weekend. I felt like I should have bought a book from you called ' having fun with you TR4 restoration ' and yes the area was lovely. Sorry to hear about the rad, my water pump gave up the ghost on the way home but managed to get home with a few stops,

All the best David

Hi Dave,

another excellent Welsh Week-end. It was nice to meet up with you and the gang.

The rad is now all sorted and back in the car - I will not be using the plastic pull through ties again.

Bits on cars are there to fall off and get your grey cells working.

As for selling books of any kind - I'm no J K Rowling.

Roger

Hi Paul,

that was excellent. It even had the spare bits left over.

Am I inspired - well, it's raining here at present (showers on and off) - so,no.

The TR4 will be finished in its own unnatural way.

Roger

Today the sun is shining (or it could be that the rain is glaring a bit).

The problem that I mentioned the other day - fish eyes - came back into my mind.

Silicon on the paint work or water in the air pipe are the obvious things ot look for.

Not sure about silicon but I bought some silicon removal/degreaser stuff just in case.

Water in the air pipe/hose didn'tt seem likely as there is a sticker on my compressor saying 'drain daily'. When I thought about it there may be a chance that this daily draining may not have happened (ever :o ).

I now know where the fish eyes come from - they come from the fish in the compressor. I got nearly a pint of water out of the drain - clearly it is not a self draining compressor.

So another dialy ritual will take place.

To be fair until now I have only used the compressor for blowing water out of the engine bay after washing or running the odd tool.

I must be more vigilant.

Anyway back to the plot. The area of bodywork in front of the screen had another coat of paint spooned on and after a bit of rubbing (and cursing) it looks pretty fair.

Later today I shall struggle with the bonnet and get it fitted. I hope the repair I did to the inner wing resolves the misalignment problme I had last autumn - we shall see.

Roger

Hi Alan,

the actual operation of draining is simplicity itself - If only I had bothered to do it before now. (I didn;t know there were fish in it)

The bonnet is on - guess what!! - it fits. Parallel on both sides and even up near the screen. Not perfect but good.

Next few days I'll have the wings fitted and all lined up (please :wacko: )

Roger

Never having done this before I swotted up all I could on the subject and ended up with this setup.

compressor.jpg

After the filter/water trap fixed on the compressor, the air goes through a coil of copper pipe in a box filled with water*, then through a downward sloping run of copper pipe to a second water trap/filter, to the gun where there is a final oil/water filter. (For convenience it(final filter) can be put elsewhere in the line to make the gun more manageable.

* this is one of Dave Connit's ideas. He puts ice in the box to condense moisture/oil and to cool the air which is hot from the compressor. With the low humidity in Canberra I ended up just using water as the coolant.

Edited by littlejim

Bl**dy hell Jim, that looks like a nuclear reactor.

My set-up simply consists of Sue operating a leather bellows. (the Lilo footpump wasn;t man enough).

This goes into an old castrol oil can (rinsed out) and then into the gun.

I was thinking of putting the paint straight into the oil can and bypassing the gun!! (not unlike a garden weedkiller sprayer)

Roger

Edited by RogerH