Roger,

New cars are great, can have character, and are extremely cheap if you have them on a full contract hire package.

I just sacked my £60,000 p/a Quantity Surveyor after 1 month because he couldn't do any part of the job he said he could do.

I took a brand new car on 2 year contract hire:

Ford Focus Diesel Hatchback

1.6TDCi Edge Econetic 5dr.

Race Red, Charcoal Black interior with park assist for the missus :)

Up to 20,000 miles per year for the next 2 years all in with guaranteed maintenance including tyres etc. and breakdown assistance from Arval.

The car is £17,590 at a good discount on the forecourt if you can find one.

I dropped my hapless man off at the station and drove it home. When the turbo kicks in it goes like the proverbial. Probably does 70 to the gallon.

Took me a minute to get used to it turning itself off at a standstill and then driving away when I put my foot on the accelerator.

Price does not include the fuel or insurance. I can buy the car at the end of the contract or just chuck it back with nothing to pay.

I now have to pay just £250 + VAT per month to keep it but I can get the VAT back.

If you or anybody else with a proper home address want it for £250 a month just let me know.

Cheers,

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well, Heavens above it passed the MOT with a very badly painted rear wing.   Had an interesting day today. I needed to spray the  rear wing from the TR4. I did this last week and it wen

Hi Folks, well that was quite prophetic !!!!!!  Lockdown on March 23rd certainly threw a spanner in the works, So after 8 months sleep the Blue Racer has risen and having risdid is now at ho

Hi Roger, I recently had the "opportunity" (not) to do some bodywork on and respray my rear wing. I bought a very cheap (customer return) small garden gazebo on ebay and put it up in my garage. I

Posted Images

Back to business. Today the plan is/was to fit the bonnet with its catch.

I placed some masking tape over the hole in the bonnet catch in order to see the springy thing alignment.

The first attempt was nowhere near. With the springy thing on the bonnet biased over as far as possibly the alignment was very poor.

The only way I could see to make it fit was to pack out the latch on the bulk to push the hole forwards and outboard.

This require 1/4" of packing but looked good.

After sorting out the release cable to work smoothly and fitting the secondary release the other day the time came to press the bonnet down for its first closing in nearly 4 years.

It didn't close.

Upon close inspection - in fact inspection from any distance - it was obvious that the springy thing was assembled incorrectly and causing the spring to bind on itself.

After a quick rebuild the springy thing was now springing better than ever..

Now for the first closing of the bonnet.

It didn;t close.

The bonnet was not aligned with the gap between the wings so as it shuffled sideways to get between the wings the springy thing went out of alignment with the bulkhead catch.

In fact the bulkhead catch needed to move inboard - roughly where it came from before the packers were put in.

So out with the packers, re-align the springy thing and go for it.

I had a problem with the release cable in that when the bonnet was pressed shut the action of the lever pushed the cable and forced its outer cable out of its retaining block and then didn't latch shut. To over come this I inserted 1" of tube into the retaining block to allow the cable to shuffle back and forth but not get stuck - IKB, eat your heart out.

Will it close this time!!!! :wacko:

It closed. By jove it closed well. It closed like something that enjoyed closing. ;)

Did it open - thankfully yes. :rolleyes:

The secondary release also works nicely.

I now have a working latch. Did the bonnet fit - no :o

The front looks good.

The back looks good.

But the sides are definately angled. At the back there is a large gap on the near side and no gap on the off side.

The off side wing upper profile matches the bonnet quite well but the near side of the bonnet sat higher than the wing.

I tried teasing the bonnet; I rustled a Malteaser bag then hid it. This really teased the so and so.

After teasing I tried hand pressure to reform the bonnet. Whilst using hand pressure I spotted a big hammer hanging on the wall. This is not hammer time (just yet)

As the back of the bonnet is quite well aligned with the bulkhead I'm thinking that I may need to slacken off the body/chassis bolts and try and move the off side front inboard a little - possibly 1/4". Has anybody done anuthing like this before.

Tomorrow I shall ponder the alignment problem. I like to have a ponder now and then.

Roger

Have you got the side rubber buffers fitted? Its always easier to get a bonnet to fit without the wings on in case like Neil has stated you need to give the inner wing a bit of "Adjustment".

Stuart.

Hi Alan,

adjustment of the hinges helps with the bonnet lining up with the wings but doesn;t really help with the skewed bonnet affect.

However I'm sure there will be plenty of hinge twiddling to come.

Hi Neil/Stuart,

the wings are fitted at the moment but will come off if necessary.

Not sure if the inner wings are responsible for the problem though.

The bonnet gap on the nearside opens as you go rearwards.

The gap on the offside gets narrower as it goes backwards.

It needs to move across by about 1/4" but keeping the bonnet to bulkhead gap that is there at present.

If I could move the front of the car 1/4 towards the kerb it would be sorted - this could be more difficult than first considered.

I shall take quite a few measurements tomorrow before doing anything.

Roger

Hi Paul,

my lad came round today and asked to look at the Astra spec'. After a few moments he gasped. "It hasn't got climate control, how will you get through the summer"

Big softie.

He rather likes my Saab 9.5. For a 2002 car it has a rather good spec regarding comfort. But it is now too old and the bills are racking up.

I probably do need a Ford but I'm still coming to terms with my 100E Anglia with the 'Flintstone' mod in the front floor.

Roger

Roger,

Excellent. I propose a deal.

Your 'lad' takes the Saab because he is young enough to be optimistic about the running costs.

You keep the Flintstone variations because you are old enough to know better.

I will keep the Ford until your lad realises it is better to be too hot than too poor, we live in England - please give him my number.

PS Neil - I am the bloody QS now and I can't drive all these cars. I would rather enjoy the one I do drive :)

Roger that was the point of taking the wings off, you will struggle to get the whole front to go over that far (unless its wrong to start with) but with the wings off you can easily alter the upper sections of the inner wings with a little judicious bending to suit the bonnet. Dont forget although the rubber wedges will hold it in place if needed they can be ground down on the rear faces to help with alignment. (FWIW you used to be able to get two thickness's of them.)

Stuart.

Stuart,

Save this pic with all the blocks and hydraulic rams and when anybody moans about the cost of having and expert rebuild their car show it to them...any argument will desist forthwith, lol.

I'd be interested in how you grew 3 extra arms to hold this..this...incredible edifice together whilst you jacked the rams out. ! The Pharoahs would have been proud of you.

Mick Richards

I've been out this morning taking measurements and general observations.

The NS wing is apprx 10mm rearward of the OS wing so frontal alignment is not possible without skewing.

The OS wing and rearbulkhead look quite good and square.

Looking at the front of the car the wing beading on the OS appears vertical at the front however the NS slants inwards towards the valance by quite a bit.

Having had a closer look at the NS the inner wing where the hinge attaches looks as though it has been smacked about - not good. I missed this somewhere in the rebuild.

So off with the wings, analyze the inner wing problem. Hopefully not a new inner wing as it is all painted :o

Roger

Stuart,

Save this pic with all the blocks and hydraulic rams and when anybody moans about the cost of having and expert rebuild their car show it to them...any argument will desist forthwith, lol.

I'd be interested in how you grew 3 extra arms to hold this..this...incredible edifice together whilst you jacked the rams out. ! The Pharoahs would have been proud of you.

Mick Richards

I have to admit to having a bit of help with that one, Mark who does work for me occasionally is nearly as inventive as me for techniques to get something to go where you want it to. ;)

Stuart.

Nice newly painted bodies and paint stripper don;t usually go together well.

The area of inner wing that the bonnet hinge support plate is welded to looked a bit iffy so on with the paint stripper.

It is interesting what paint/filler/stuff can hide.

Under the Royal Blue paint was a bucket load of filler some araldite (or fibreglass resin), braze and a rivet!!.

It could be seen with all the paint removed that this area below the hinge was biased inwards and didn't look pretty.

Off with the hinge support plate (that was fun trying to find the spot welds).

Tomorrow, weather permitting, I shall cut out this triangular section of inner wing skin tidy it all up and let in some new metal.

Make a new hinge support plate and bobs your uncle all will be well.

Having seen Stuarts picture above I shall invest in some angle iron to allow the inner wings to be persuaded into straightness.

Hopefully by the week-end the bonnet should be back on and fitting a little better.

Roger

Edited by RogerH

I've been out this morning taking measurements and general observations.

The NS wing is apprx 10mm rearward of the OS wing so frontal alignment is not possible without skewing.

The OS wing and rearbulkhead look quite good and square.

Looking at the front of the car the wing beading on the OS appears vertical at the front however the NS slants inwards towards the valance by quite a bit.

Having had a closer look at the NS the inner wing where the hinge attaches looks as though it has been smacked about - not good. I missed this somewhere in the rebuild.

So off with the wings, analyze the inner wing problem. Hopefully not a new inner wing as it is all painted :o

Roger

You would be surprised how much the inner wings can be moved about Roger once the wings are off.

Stuart.