Hello John,

I need to contact you thru the forum.

I received an email from your account! You asked me if I have some minutes to exchange an email with you. I responded and an anwer came back from another email account requesting to purchase a gift card. I cannot contact you via PM here, since I assume your personal emailaccount is hacked. I hope you read this.

If this is indeed you, (which I assume it is not) please clarify.

see below:

Edited by JochemsTR

Since the original email was sent from Johns personal and correct account, my junk filter ignored it. 
John needs to check his account and change password. 

All.  BE AFRAID, BE VERY AFRAID!

I am the victim of a hacking exploit.  The scammers got into my account at BT, changed the email address as Jochem found, and the recorded  mobile phone number, so that I couldn't get in to reset my password.    Clever.  Then  they se the account to send out the messages as others have received and to forward all received messages to them.  SCary!

The BT Email Team (NOT the webpage support team who know nothing) sorted it, and I'm back online.  But it has buggered up Facebook for me (no bad thing) and other message boards, and I still have the task of changing ALL  my passwords!

If you do get one of these, from 'John' or anyone else, DO NOT RESPOND!  DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINK!    If you want , contact the apparent sender by another route.  Jochem and anyone else who did respond, check your PC, run the fiercest cleaner your can, and CHANGE ALL YOUR PASSWORDS!

John

Same here..... Thankfully I deleted it and reported

Tom

I have no idea Roger!  Nothing personal, certainly.

Andy,

I felt like that about BT, I was cursing them up and down, but a computerwise friend tells me that almost certainly the scammers got my details from me!   Then  they could go to BT and 'be' me to change the records.   

John

1 hour ago, RogerH said:

I feel left out as I did not get a message...............why???..:P

Roger,

Has John ever sent you a message via his BT eMail (ie not through a PM) ?

It may be that only people in his BT address book are getting the mails.

It used to be standard stuff to steal addresses so that malware could be spread to other computers.

Charlie.

Edited by Charlie D

It’s not just BT email.  The same thing happened to my Hotmail account.Taken over by someone who changed the settings, PW and PW recovery  links, so there was no way for me to  re-enter.  He (?) then sent out an email supposedly from me asking recipients (everybody in my contacts list !) to send money or apple gift cards to assist with being stuck travelling somewhere - I used to travel a lot in the EU and USA (work and personal) before I retired, so a vaguely plausible request.

It’s only after an event like this that you are forced to recognise just how many contacts/passwords and contacts (personal, professional, business, domestic, foreign, etc) you have - takes for ever to sanitise the lot. 

Since then, I have been with BT and not had any problems, except for frequent calls on my mobile from a large number of apparently UK mobile phones ( I did answer one and heard a voice speaking what sounded like a Far Eastern language).  My mobile was part of the Hotmail account recovery process, so was compromised during the original email hack.

Stay alert everybody - there are some really annoying people out there.

Apologies for the ramble. . . .

Maybe this the reason why I had a message this morning advising me to change a whole heap of passwords because they had been compromised through a data hack. 

Rgds Ian

just found a message from john in my spam so i assume safe ?

Have deleted it from there anyway

Roy

NO!   Those messages were sent from my account  by the scammers, who also arranged for any replies to be sent to them, so that they would have a new crop of valid emails to prey on.  They are NOT safe!
In a scamming email, the style described by alfrom is spot on, plus "Please contact me - I need to chat" or similar in a pathetic tone, are standard scamming scripts.   DELETE THEM!    Do NOT reply!
I'm so sorry that so many friends have been disturbed by this episode.   The happy aspect of this whole sorry affair is the number of friends who have contacted me, to ask if I'm OK, even neighbours popping round to knock on my door.       In a world where low lives do this sort of thing ,  it's good know that there are so many caring humans about!

Thank you all!

John

Edited by john.r.davies

I got this as well. It went to junk, but I thought it might be plausible so transferred it to my inbox. Haven't opened it Because I was suspicious I will now delete it . Thanks for the 'heads - up'.

Dave.  

Another common one I get lots of is "Have you seen these pictures"  or similar wording, & the sender appears to be someone you know, but isn't.

Bob

Yes, Bob, I fell for that the first time, and it took a session with Cr*pCleaner to get the worm out!

This time, Norton, MalwareBytes and Cr*pcleaner  have found nothing untoward in my desktop. So the data breach must have been online, the gods know where.

Jhn

I must be the only soul on here who still avoids on-line banking. Its because I simply dont understand how on-line safety can be guaranteed. And in view of the Post Office and smart meter fiascos I do not trust the bank to be on my side either. Years ago I had a credit card replaced as its details had been in a hack in USA.  The only purchase it had been used for in USA was for an anti-virus package !!

Peter

I remember an exchange with BT when my email address was “hacked”

They just wouldn’t accept that it must have been at their end in spite of the address it bounced back from one only being on my but webmail account and not one that was in my Outlook address book on my PC.