The Midget pub in Abingdon

In case you have not seen this….

Oxfordshire 500 sign petition to change pub name The Midget | Oxford Mail

The woke do-gooders strike again!

Hopefully enough sane people will push back….

Otherwise there’s only one response to the do-gooders….

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fx7cbMe2qx0

https://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/24098031.oxfordshire-mg-fans-reject-calls-rename-midget-pub/

image.jpeg.b3527cd607cf8643b7020b7bb7f91cd4.jpeg

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

Serves them right if it's renamed the Porg Arms.

Mick Richards

An RWA Midget, had a new one of them back in the day.

Stuart.

46 minutes ago, brenda said:

What did you do take the drivers seat out and sit in the back?

Mike Redrose Group 

Surprisingly I could fit in it, in fact we travelled across London one night four up with my missus squeezed in behind the seats and one sat on the passengers lap.

Stuart.

5 hours ago, stuart said:

Surprisingly I could fit in it, in fact we travelled across London one night four up with my missus squeezed in behind the seats and one sat on the passengers lap.

Stuart.

That brings back memories Stuart. In 1964 my wife, my friend who was 6’4”,  his petite wife and myself travelled from Penzance to Camberley in my TR2 to attend the first ever International Dragfest. My friend had a BN1 so that was out of the question. My wife drove up as far as Exeter with my friend and I sitting on the boot, feet in the cockpit behind the seats hanging on for dear life to the hood sticks. We couldn’t pick the bugs out of our teeth until we stopped. The rest of the way we all squeezed in the car without the roof up. Coming back however, the heavens opened so we all squeezed in with the roof up until the coil packed up at 3am in the middle of Bodmin moor. Happy days, I think!   You wouldn’t get away with it now!

Rodders.

IMG_5001.jpeg

Edited by modelbuilder

I only hope that if the prats get their way and demand the name change, then it is renamed SPRIDGET as that's what I called all the midgets and sprites I have had!

Together with that rather cute photo, there's good coverage in today's Oxford Times.

One wonders when the Woke Army will run out of names which they consider must be changed.

Ian Cornish

I’m afraid this will probably be another capitulation by Greene King to the woke brigade, having  already given in to changing established pub names like “Black Boy” and similar.

Having opened that door, they have opened the flood gates and sure enough they are now being targeted for reparations from Caribbean countries where the founding family established sugar cane plantations - I’m glad they are no longer a public company as I can’t see how they can afford the claims if they ever get substantiated and in the meantime legal costs will be high!

Someone needs to start a petition to save the name for what it is - I’m sure there will be many many more people  wanting to keep the name than the woke brigade who are making a fuss about nothing as usual

cheers Rich 

To quote the website “Understanding dwarfism” :

“The origin of the word midget formed from the word midge "small fly" + -et, so that a midget is etymologically a "very small fly".

It goes on to say that the word has become a derogatory term for dwarfs.

However, that came about because certain people started to use the word in association with dwarfs. It was not the original meaning of the word.

If dwarfs find the word offensive, I can quit understand it, but provided that the word is not used in relation to dwarfs then why is it a problem?

As far as I know the pub has no association with dwarfs, but it does have an association with a motorcar called a Midget. Which it's self has no association with dwarfs, it was just a very small car.

8 hours ago, Charlie D said:

To quote the website “Understanding dwarfism” :

“The origin of the word midget formed from the word midge "small fly" + -et, so that a midget is etymologically a "very small fly".

It goes on to say that the word has become a derogatory term for dwarfs.

However, that came about because certain people started to use the word in association with dwarfs. It was not the original meaning of the word.

If dwarfs find the word offensive, I can quit understand it, but provided that the word is not used in relation to dwarfs then why is it a problem?

As far as I know the pub has no association with dwarfs, but it does have an association with a motorcar called a Midget. Which it's self has no association with dwarfs, it was just a very small car.

Worth noting that the bonnet mascot on the early midgets was indeed a midge!

On 2/8/2024 at 11:18 AM, rcreweread said:

I’m afraid this will probably be another capitulation by Greene King to the woke brigade, having  already given in to changing established pub names like “Black Boy” and similar.

Having opened that door, they have opened the flood gates and sure enough they are now being targeted for reparations from Caribbean countries where the founding family established sugar cane plantations - I’m glad they are no longer a public company as I can’t see how they can afford the claims if they ever get substantiated and in the meantime legal costs will be high!

Someone needs to start a petition to save the name for what it is - I’m sure there will be many many more people  wanting to keep the name than the woke brigade who are making a fuss about nothing as usual

cheers Rich 

Went to my sister outside Henley on Thames in the summer . . .I used the A4130 through Remenham, noticed that the Black Boy pub had cease to exist . . . . . . Madness

Just down the road from us, Roger. But the roundabout on the north side of the motorway is still called "Black Boy Roundabout" according to the omniscient Google.

Cheers, Richard

• 2 weeks later...

Years ago Wetherspoons opened another pub in Portsmouth in what used to be the Southergas offices. also on the site was my old depot where I started my gasfitting apprenticeship back in 1969, they were going to call it "The Apprentice " but had to change incase  some people thought it had anything to do with an Irish connection, it was named The Isambard Kingdom Brunel instead..

When I started working in the recently privatised RN Dockyard at Devonport in 1989 we had things called DWRFS (dwarfs) which was an abbreviation / acronym for “Dockyard weapon repair facility statements/schedules”. I’ll bet they have been renamed now as well.

Rgds Ian