11 minutes ago, JohnG said:

Not sure that the length of the warranty is relevant Bob, it's their willingness to honour the warranty that's the issue

A very fair point John, I have chosen Costco and Halfords in the past for exactly that reason.

…… Andy

p.s. Always worth taking a photograph of your receipt - the print always seem to fade after a few years

On 1/26/2024 at 12:25 PM, JohnG said:

Not sure that the length of the warranty is relevant Bob, it's their willingness to honour the warranty that's the issue

If you're not sure John, keep buying them, that should confirm things !

2 hours ago, OldBob said:

If you're not sure John, keep buying them, that should confirm things !

No thanks Bob, I prefer to deal with honest folk

They agreed that the battery had failed and offered me 1/12 of the cost back to cover the unused warranty period of one month

It's to avoid free batteries under warranty for decades!

I had a 5 year battery from Halfords that died at 5 years so they gave me a new one but it's warranty was only for a year as they applied the original purchase date which I think is fair. Unfortunately the replacement died again after 4 years but I did get 8 years of battery for when I paid for 5.

I didn't think anyone supplied batteries with only 1 year warranty anymore. I would have expected the supplier in your case to replace the battery like for like and give you a 1 month warranty on it so that you got what you paid for.

Regards

Bill 

Many years ago I think it was Unipart guaranteed there batteries for a year IIRC but they were rubbish batteries and so they used to go back regularly and youd get another years guarantee out of them. It was a good deal while it lasted!

Stuart.

Here in the States most battery companies provide a limited warranty. The warranty period usually consists of two periods: a free replacement period and a discounted replacement period.

The free replacement period, which is often shorter, provides a no-cost replacement if the battery fails within that time frame.

After the free replacement period, the pro-rata period begins. During the pro-rata period, if the battery fails, the replacement comes at a discounted rate, rather than for free. The discount is typically calculated based on the remaining warranty period.

On 1/28/2024 at 7:12 PM, Bill944T said:

They agreed that the battery had failed and offered me 1/12 of the cost back to cover the unused warranty period of one month

It's to avoid free batteries under warranty for decades!

I had a 5 year battery from Halfords that died at 5 years so they gave me a new one but it's warranty was only for a year as they applied the original purchase date which I think is fair. Unfortunately the replacement died again after 4 years but I did get 8 years of battery for when I paid for 5.

I didn't think anyone supplied batteries with only 1 year warranty anymore. I would have expected the supplier in your case to replace the battery like for like and give you a 1 month warranty on it so that you got what you paid for.

Regards

Bill 

This tenancy to offer 'the remaining' warranty on a replacement item is very common and without foundation

Any item sold must be fit for purpose.

The warranty is irrelevant 

A very stripped down version of one of my warranty woes;

We had a boiling water tap fitted, when we redid our kitchen

2 year warranty applied

The boiler dies after 22 months.

I had a replacement fitted and was told; '2 month warranty'

We'll see I replied

Boiler died after 7 months

Out of warranty they said.

Fit for purpose I replied

They sent a new boiler for me to fit

Boiler failed after 6 weeks

They sent a 4th boiler, when this failed, we agreed that they would pay me to go away . . . Enough money to buy a competitors boiling water rap system

NEVER accept any warranty on face value

If an item fails before you feel it reasonably should have done . . . .fight, don't just accept

On 1/28/2024 at 7:12 PM, Bill944T said:

Regards

Bill 

Probably 10 years ago Bill

It was for my '6'

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/15/2024 at 8:15 PM, Richard71 said:

The biggest battery that the tray on a TR6 will accommodate is a 334. The three digit number is common to all the popular manufacturers with the correct +ive & -ive orientation.

I recently bought a Yuasa 334 battery from Halfords with the trade card discount, I can't remember the cost right now. 

Richard.

Got this battery & looks as tho could be a tite fit! …… but very substantial compared with the item coming out

Just fitted a Yuasa battery from Tayna, came next day. Hopefully won't need to test their after sales support.

I did note that the car could accommodate a quite substantially bigger battery than the type 69, but the car spins over vigorously so no regrets.

Sean

3 minutes ago, Macleesh said:

I did note that the car could accommodate a quite substantially bigger battery than the type 69

That is plenty big enough. There is really nothing to be gained by having a larger one. See my post on page 1. 

According to the Lucas battery catalogue I have the standard battery fitted to the TR6 up to 1971 was a type 071 and from 1971 to 1975 was a type 015.

Derek

Lucas battery 3 .jpg

On 1/15/2024 at 8:15 PM, Richard71 said:

The biggest battery that the tray on a TR6 will accommodate is a 334. The three digit number is common to all the popular manufacturers with the correct +ive & -ive orientation.

I recently bought a Yuasa 334 battery from Halfords with the trade card discount, I can't remember the cost right now. 

Richard.

Richard, I'm sanity checking before purchase... you mean this one, right: https://www.halfords.com/motoring/batteries/car-batteries/yuasa-hsb334-silver-12v-car-battery-5-year-guarantee-174049.html

There is absolutely no point in having a 100Ah battery in a TR.  Nor do you need 800+ CCA

• 2 weeks later...

No, not particularly Steve. It's the same size of battery I've used for over 10yrs. There's maybe around 1cm of space left at each side.

It was recommended by another forum user, though I can't remember who. I haven't got the Yuasa battery fitted yet as I'm getting on with other stuff on the car, but it'll be exactly the same size as the Bosch 334 batteries I've been using up until now. I think the only reason I didn't go for Bosch this time was Halfords didn't offer the 5yr warranty version, previously I bought from Euro Car Parts.

I've seen the "nae sayers" on this topic about fitting a larger than standard battery, you won't be disappointed, my car is fairly high compression of around 10:1 and cranks over at speed effortlessly and never gives me any bother.

Richard.

On 2/27/2024 at 6:22 PM, Steve-B said:

Hi Steve,

I run with the HB072 in both the 4 & 4A. They always work well.

However I've just seen the RRP  £146 - wow.  I do use the Halford  TRade card that makes it more sensible.

The prices have rocketed lately.

Roger

Posted (edited)
47 minutes ago, RogerH said:

Hi Steve,

I run with the HB072 in both the 4 & 4A. They always work well.

However I've just seen the RRP  £146 - wow.  I do use the Halford  TRade card that makes it more sensible.

The prices have rocketed lately.

Roger

I agree Roger! I bought a battery for our 64 reg Forrester a year back and it was only £97 so I  am either in sticker shock h*ll or going to have to face the reality as I need to pick one up this week. It’s taken me far too long this winter to get to the next to final job to be road ready for spring!

Edited by Steve-B
1 hour ago, Richard71 said:

I've seen the "nae sayers" on this topic about fitting a larger than standard battery, you won't be disappointed, my car is fairly high compression of around 10:1 and cranks over at speed effortlessly and never gives me any bother.

OK - 'naysayers' turn :D.  I don't doubt that your big battery works well for you, but have you actually tried a standard size? 

I know I'm (figuratively) wasting breath but let's do some simple arithmetic for the benefit of others.

First a fact -  The current drawn from a battery when starting is determined by the starter motor, not by the battery. If you have two car batteries - one larger and one smaller - both in the same state of charge, the the starter will pull exactly the same current from either. 

For the sake of argument let's say you have a pretty inefficient starter motor and your engine is super-high compression so it needs 300 Amps to crank it over. Let's also assume your engine is in pretty poor tune so it takes a whole 2 minutes of continuous cranking before it will start.

That is  300 x 2  ampere-minutes which equates to 600/60  =  10 ampere-hours .     As a rule of thumb cranking should take only a quarter of the full battery capacity so a 40Ah battery will do everything you need even for that extreme case.  

( In reality with a decent engine, draw may be 250A for 20 seconds equivalent to 0.14Ah  -  why would you 'need' a 100Ah battery? )

If the starter draws 300A when starting under cold conditions because the oil is thick, the battery needs to be able to supply 300CCA.  The starter just cannot draw any more, so higher CCA capacity will never be used.

By fitting a larger battery than necessary you are wasting money on capacity you will never need, and lugging around excess weight which is essentially useless to you.  The only time extra capacity may be of use is at the end-of-battery-life, when the larger one may continue to work for a few more weeks until the excess also fails.  

Edited by RobH

As ever Phil I like your logic.

But surely bigger is always better!