anti-glare night driving glasses

Indeed, Rob and Peter.   But those bikers are from the same population as the drivers to whom I am invisible, even in a DayGlo jacket and bike lights in daytime!

1 hour ago, john.r.davies said:

Indeed, Rob and Peter.   But those bikers are from the same population as the drivers to whom I am invisible, even in a DayGlo jacket and bike lights in daytime!

I was taught to treat all other road users as idiots, and that includes pedestrians.

As a cyclist of many years I wholly agree the roads are more populated by those who exist only in their own little bubble, from truck and bus drivers sitting above the melee down to the cyclist on the phone being deafened by their in-ear music.   A very ostrich like approach, if I am not aware of it, it cannot exist.
As a cyclist I wanted to be seen and took as much action as I could to maintain that stance.   At night I would adopt the demented Christmas tree look. 

A lack of Road Sense seems to be abundant In today’s road users.   

Back to the original topic here is an update

Used the yellow specs again this evening in good weather conditions on busy main roads and there was no problem with slightly reduced light transmission because of yellow tint. Also no more problems with glare from the LED headlights in either oncoming traffic or  those behind despite best efforts of one tailgater on full beam. Rural roads on dip beam also ok. So overall quite pleased with the results for the first pair. I think my slight problems last night were because the weather conditions were pretty bad.

Next I will try out the slightly darker tinted pair.

Keith

2 hours ago, keith1948 said:

Back to the original topic here is an update

Used the yellow specs again this evening in good weather conditions on busy main roads and there was no problem with slightly reduced light transmission because of yellow tint. Also no more problems with glare from the LED headlights in either oncoming traffic or  those behind despite best efforts of one tailgater on full beam. Rural roads on dip beam also ok. So overall quite pleased with the results for the first pair. I think my slight problems last night were because the weather conditions were pretty bad.

Next I will try out the slightly darker tinted pair.

Keith

Thanks for the update Keith, as always the prof of the pudding etc. and it is good to hear that you have found them to be helpful.

……… Andy

Keith, it may be useful if you post the item number on e bay for the specs you've tried. I'm looking to buy a pair myslf and even if I choose another set and post their number we can have comparisons between the choices as tom which may work satisfactorily.

Mick Richards

12 hours ago, Motorsport Mickey said:

Keith, it may be useful if you post the item number on e bay for the specs you've tried. I'm looking to buy a pair myslf and even if I choose another set and post their number we can have comparisons between the choices as tom which may work satisfactorily.

Mick Richards

Here is the link to the pair I have tried so far.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/394941669004?hash=item5bf45b9e8c:g:MWsAAOSwFxFkQN4S

and these I think are too yellow and not comfortable to wear

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/315106545148?hash=item495dd04dfc:g:80oAAOSwD9plqjD0&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAA0ETEV7taXwImxBIJI6eJlj3yhLku4rntvZLYd9%2BzJFViqNmzT7JVHhsnp%2B%2Fi7mj1cZfb5zeV0RjEye0YUScHIb%2FSSXDtZOJylwFmPeBdtfCRrzSyarlqkxDyBoGPD%2B6YGYn3ul%2FM4rn1ny6mTxcDQy%2BQFhWyjWCJ16SUdlf362RJrq9m5XwL3pFo0MW9PkyK%2F%2BZoDvZqYajUCCoGaPGB3%2FcCcji%2Fhg1yMprtU8zgc9YpfqPqazdK3ImXdXXJotZ3HzyiWFgUGEMchaw7RQKHONY%3D|tkp%3ABlBMUOTv-oaxYw

Keith

There is currently a petition running to try to get the Government to review the brightness of car headlights for safety. In a survey by the RAC 90% of those questioned said headlight glare was a growing problem and Government data shows around 300 collisions a year where dazzle has been a contributory factor. Here is a link to this online petition if anyone wishes to sign it. 

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/653793

Keith

46 minutes ago, keith1948 said:

Here is the link to the pair I have tried so far.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/394941669004?hash=item5bf45b9e8c:g:MWsAAOSwFxFkQN4S

I have a pair of these as well - actually I have 2 - one pair in the TR and the other in my wife’s car :) 

…….. Andy

All you guys suffering from Blue Illumination Related Disorder (BIRD) should be excited!

For the answer to all your needs is here!

image.png.96bbf76ec7e2583a218d99dcb1cdaa25.png

Ain't it wonderful to live in such a wonderful world?

6 hours ago, keith1948 said:

There is currently a petition running to try to get the Government to review the brightness of car headlights for safety. In a survey by the RAC 90% of those questioned said headlight glare was a growing problem and Government data shows around 300 collisions a year where dazzle has been a contributory factor. Here is a link to this online petition if anyone wishes to sign it. 

Keith

…and will they also review the brightness of the blue flashing beacons on emergency response vehicles?

15 hours ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

…and will they also review the brightness of the blue flashing beacons on emergency response vehicles?

+1.  And the yellow ones too. One flashing light bar is surely enough, but some have them all over the vehicle.

Ralph

Aren't the Blues (let alone the Twos) SUPPOSED to catch your attention?    Why on Earth make them less obvious?

What should be banned is the line of accessory headlamps across the top of many lorry cabs.  Like this:

image.png.4cdf4f2d433031a529caa0a27bbf3e34.png

Truckies use them to greet their mates driving the opposite way, blinding to anyone else and possibly that mate!

Finally today, I saw a news article on this topic mention something I had commented on before, when bemoaning this issue.

Half the issue is the physical height of these lights.

As so many modern 'cars' are SUV/4x4 type, and so many cars have high level rear pillar lights, they are directly in our (TR) eyeline......

On 2/9/2024 at 5:46 PM, John Bracher said:

Finally today, I saw a news article on this topic mention something I had commented on before, when bemoaning this issue.

Half the issue is the physical height of these lights.

As so many modern 'cars' are SUV/4x4 type, and so many cars have high level rear pillar lights, they are directly in our (TR) eyeline......

Vans have headlights much higher than cars, including SUVs, even going back as far as the Mk1 Transit of the `60s.  Pondering this I came to the conclusion that the higher mounted headlamps are angled more steeply down when on dip than cars.  The lower the light is mounted means the lamps need to be more horizontal to the road, so more likely to be inadvertently dazzling.  Still think the problem is with intensity of light output from modern bulbs even on dip.  I have also noticed recently there are a number of cars now that have 4 dipped headlights in addition to daylight running lights, and of course a lot of folk like to have the fog lamps on too just for good measure despite it being illegal (unless foggy). 

Ralph

• 1 month later...

I agree it’s an issue but it’s naive to think that even in the unlikely event that the petition reaches the 100k threshold the Government is going to do anything about it. My solution has been to fit Classic Car LED bulbs so that I have the ability to see past the oncoming vehicles. Not really the right answer I know but one that recognises reality. Let’s face it, my current daily driver is an SUV with modern high intensity lights and I would be very pissed off if someone told me to downgrade them to something less effective.

Rgds Ian

7 minutes ago, keith1948 said:

There has been a Government response to the online petition. 

Don't expect too much (or anything).

Meanwhile still using the yellow anti glare specs. I think they help. It is interesting that they show which cars have LED's and which don't from the colour of the headlights.

Keith

Yes. Using my of clip on anti glare specs and am pleasantly pleased by the softening of the light from oncoming vehicles.    If used by day they give vehicles the look of a mouldy green edge.

The popularity of these 'antiglare' glasses is worrying.  As I mentioned earlier in this debate, 'glare' is a symptom of the eye condition 'glaucoma', which is mainly related to age.

In a population whose average age is increasing, more people will suffer from glaucoma.  But over and above that factor, the incidence of glaucoma is increasing.  (Alan P Rotchford AP, Hughes J,  AgarwalPK and Thatham A,  Prevalence of treatment with glaucoma medication in Scotland, 2010–2017, British Journal of Opthalmology, 104(3), 381-5, 2020 )

Glaucoma is associated with blindness, is easily and painlessly detected and is readily treated.  I urged before and do so again that anyone finding that headlights cause uncomfortable and disorientating glare should consult an optician before buying a set of  fancy yellow glasses!

John

25 minutes ago, john.r.davies said:

The popularity of these 'antiglare' glasses is worrying.  As I mentioned earlier in this debate, 'glare' is a symptom of the eye condition 'glaucoma', which is mainly related to age.

In a population whose average age is increasing, more people will suffer from glaucoma.  But over and above that factor, the incidence of glaucoma is increasing.  (Alan P Rotchford AP, Hughes J,  AgarwalPK and Thatham A,  Prevalence of treatment with glaucoma medication in Scotland, 2010–2017, British Journal of Opthalmology, 104(3), 381-5, 2020 )

Glaucoma is associated with blindness, is easily and painlessly detected and is readily treated.  I urged before and do so again that anyone finding that headlights cause uncomfortable and disorientating glare should consult an optician before buying a set of  fancy yellow glasses!

John

I went to Spec Savers.

They suggested the following after testing my genetically inherited possibility of glaucoma and telling me I had cataracts just starting which were not in need of intervention  

Read their suggestions here of tinted lenses.

https://www.specsavers.co.uk/glasses/driving-glasses

Thank you!  What an excellent review that adds to the conditions that may cause glare, and which a simple eye examination may exclude.

Delighted that despite your family history, glaucoma has been excluded!    The same exmination will.reveal early cataract, which I have been nformed of too!   But too early for any rational treatment.

John

Posted (edited)

Interesting points but my vision is fine without specs for long and short vision, I don't have glaucoma or cataracts. Only the LED headlamps cause me an issue and the yellow tinted specs help reduce the glare of those by reducing the intensity of the spike in the  blue end of the spectrum.

People with glaucoma and/or cataracts would have problems with all headlights, not just LED's. And I agree that these conditions should be dealt with by a decent optometrist.

Since retiring and doing far less computer work my eyesight has improved considerably, particularly my long sight. Driving at night is not an issue except for LED glare. 'Ordinary' headlamps don't cause me a problem.

So I shall continue with the yellow tinted specs since they seem to work. Each to their own.

Keith

Edited by keith1948