TR25 concept car, thoughts?

Hi all, I just received the enthusiastic mail that says the TR25 concept car will be on display at the NEC on the TR Register stand, and I saw the long article about it on the Register magazine. I’m a long time TR fan, I always owned one from when I was very young (now I’m 62 and I do still have a TR3B and a TR5) but really I can’t understand all this excitement about this project. To me the TR basic concept  is elegance and sportiness, and in my eyes this new design exercise is just a cartoon of what a future TR could be. I’m just curious to hear the impression from other members.

All the best

mbracing

I think all things evolve and part of the excitement is that BMW are starting to re- acknowledge the Triumph and especially the TR  Marque. 

it is acknowledged that the TR25 is an electric concept car.  Not a cartoon. It has a modern elegance in my mind.
i for one think it’s also a real coup for the club to have both cars on the stand and that the designers will be on hand all weekend. That’s a real biggy for any classic car club. 

Anyone who knows me knows I’m a petrol head from birth. I haven’t even driven an electric car but I recognise that, that is one of the significant futures of transport. So a car manufacturer/ designer is going to do elec concepts rather than a V8. 

so long as the club lobbies for a continuation of petrol production and dispensations for classic car users it’s money well spent in membership. 

1 hour ago, mbracing said:

Hi all, I just received the enthusiastic mail that says the TR25 concept car will be on display at the NEC on the TR Register stand, and I saw the long article about it on the Register magazine. I’m a long time TR fan, I always owned one from when I was very young (now I’m 62 and I do still have a TR3B and a TR5) but really I can’t understand all this excitement about this project. To me the TR basic concept  is elegance and sportiness, and in my eyes this new design exercise is just a cartoon of what a future TR could be. I’m just curious to hear the impression from other members.

All the best

mbracing

+1

I agree. It has nothing in common with Triumph engineering or the TR's

Roger

2 minutes ago, RogerH said:

I agree. It has nothing in common with Triumph engineering or the TR's

I acknowledge the sentiment but on the other hand what did the post-war Triumphs have in common with the pre-wars (or at risk of re-opening a big bucket of of worms, Wedges to 2-6s)? To my mind the concept does give a nod to the minimalism of the TR2s, and certainly some stylistic echos of the Jabbeke car. But to expect any real commonality of engineering 70 years on is a bit of an ask, no?

It's not a BMW project, they've just given permission to an external design house to have a bit of fun and generate some press. If more comes of that down the line, bring it on I say.

Nigel

The 'styling' of it is not to my taste, too much of a box-with-rounded-corners.  I can't see much of the Jabbeke TR2 in it - other than the lack of a windscreen.  It isn't a TR and never can be, any more than a modern Mini can be a real Issigonis mini.  They might have the name but don't have the ethos. 

As a concept of what TRs might have become if still in production - not a bad effort I suppose.  At least it bucks the current trend for cars, which resembles the result of someone dipping their hands in a bucket of lego and sticking the bits together at random.  

2 hours ago, Hamish said:

I think all things evolve and part of the excitement is that BMW are starting to re- acknowledge the Triumph and especially the TR  Marque.

I agree Hamish, that is the big picture here. I just hope that the response from the public, press and sportscar enthusiasts can convince BMW to launch an electric sportscar using the Triumph and TR brands to rival the Tesla Roadster (2nd gen) and the MG Cyberster. It would look very different to this concept. Then the marque will have a future and bring with it all the potential benefits to the club, if we embrace it.

Mick

Because there has been a (considerable) gap between the last real TR and this concept which is a TR only in name really,  i don't consider anything to do with Triumph or TR's. I think it's more paying homage, which i guess is a good thing.

I actually like the fact that my car was made by a now defunct brand, it makes it more unique and special to have and use something that no longer exists and never evolved into a modern car. 

Gareth

It depends on how you do it, look at the new Fiat 500, it does actually look quite close to the original with the gap of at least 48 yrs between, its been very popular and definitely revived the Fiat brand, now in electric form.

Stuart.

Probably I’m a little bit too old to understand the hidden elegance of this design, and the benefits a project like this can bring to a Club devoted to preserve the story and heritage of the old ones (it’s called Register), but on the other hand I can also see some new cars that recently went into production with far more nice and exciting (to my taste, at least) lines, just think about Lotus and Alfa. I know this is just a design exercise and not a future production car but again if this is the “family feeling” we should expect for a new TR, well….Apart being an enthusiast I worked all my life in the automotive industry, and my last 15 years long job was with the BMW Group and more specifically at Rolls-Royce, therefore I’m well aware about how the new needs from a completely different kind of customer and worldwide situation could impact with the design of a new product. Just think on what happened with such a conservative brand as R-R, you can either like the new models, or hate them. (I’m not going to say my personal opinion on this!). But the one with R-R  is the typical situation where a non-British car maker (BMW) do try to change and evolve a brand they bought, and apart from the commercial success the reactions on what they did are quite mixed. But here the story it is a bit different, this TR25 to my eyes is simply not right and it does not transmit any of the values and heritages of the brand it is supposed to represent. But, I do repeat, this is just my impression, and I can see I’m not the only one in thinking like this.

mbracing

Edited by mbracing
2 hours ago, stuart said:

It depends on how you do it, look at the new Fiat 500, it does actually look quite close to the original with the gap of at least 48 yrs between, its been very popular and definitely revived the Fiat brand, now in electric form.

Stuart.

Yes they've taken a cool car from their past and revived much of the look into a modern (larger) package and its been popular. 

The TR25 is more of a completely new concept that doesn't take anything much from the TR2 apart from the first part of the model number, maybe a new car could actually be based on the looks of a TR... but which one? 

Gareth

17 hours ago, Mick Forey said:

I agree Hamish, that is the big picture here. I just hope that the response from the public, press and sportscar enthusiasts can convince BMW to launch an electric sportscar using the Triumph and TR brands to rival the Tesla Roadster (2nd gen) and the MG Cyberster. It would look very different to this concept. Then the marque will have a future and bring with it all the potential benefits to the club, if we embrace it.

Mick

+1.

I think it s a real feather in our cap to have this along side MVC 575. it can surely do our club nothing but good.

On a personal note we buy year old cars and keep them a while, I find that every 'latest' cars technology leaves me a lillte bit more 

uneasy for a time, and takes longer to accept/learn.

Wish I had kept some of the cars from the past, so I guess TR25 or any of its development vehicles will never sit on my drive!

John.

Hi,

BMW made and makes sports cars with success.

M1, Z1, Z3, Z4, Z8, I8, all the cabriolets + the Alpinas.

They have their own history and I do not expect they dig out a not much known badge,

only because an extern design studio shows their idea.

With the Mini all was different: they never had such a model, which was very popular and built long time in big numbers.

But - I can be wrong.

Ciao, Marco 

Edited by Z320

I really don't see the point in having this EV concept on the TRR stand at all, it has nothing to do with our marque, it's only been produced under licence. I own an electric "driving appliance" it's ok for what it does but it has little in common with my ICE vehicles, I much prefer driving the latter, the quirkiness, the sounds, the smells, none of which I get from my EV. Keep them out I say, our interests are in motor cars of a bygone era, not wheeled fridges.

Ian

2 hours ago, iani said:

I really don't see the point in having this EV concept on the TRR stand at all, it has nothing to do with our marque, it's only been produced under licence. I own an electric "driving appliance" it's ok for what it does but it has little in common with my ICE vehicles, I much prefer driving the latter, the quirkiness, the sounds, the smells, none of which I get from my EV. Keep them out I say, our interests are in motor cars of a bygone era, not wheeled fridges.

Ian

Spot on.

mbracing

2 hours ago, iani said:

Ian

+1

Roger

Went to the NEC Classic Car Show today, , personally as the owner of 4 ICE modern and classic cars as well as an electric car, I was impressed with the TR Register stand and especially the TR25 and the way it was presented….well done everyone concerned . My view is there is room for everyone when it comes to cars and things have to move with the times, some of the comments on here would have us still riding horses or at best a man with a red flag walking in front of your car !

IMG_5472.jpeg

I am not going to enter the argument of is it or is it not a TR, but I will say it looks much nicer in reality than in a photo. We saw it this summer on a visit to the Uk which included the British motor museum in Gaydon.

cheers

Alan

1 hour ago, TR Rob said:

....some of the comments on here would have us still riding horses or at best a man with a red flag walking in front of your car !

That's just ridiculous.

Gareth

11 hours ago, TR Rob said:

Went to the NEC Classic Car Show today, , personally as the owner of 4 ICE modern and classic cars as well as an electric car, I was impressed with the TR Register stand and especially the TR25 and the way it was presented….well done everyone concerned . My view is there is room for everyone when it comes to cars and things have to move with the times, some of the comments on here would have us still riding horses or at best a man with a red flag walking in front of your car !

IMG_5472.jpeg

I loved it in the 'Flesh' so to speak, 

I thought the two cars side by side complimented each other extremely well, and I thought our club 

did a great job staging them the way they did.

Congrats to all concerned - great effort.

John.

On 11/9/2023 at 8:39 AM, Hamish said:

it is acknowledged that the TR25 is an electric concept car.  Not a cartoon. It has a modern elegance in my mind.
i for one think it’s also a real coup for the club to have both cars on the stand and that the designers will be on hand all weekend. That’s a real biggy for any classic car club. 

Anyone who knows me knows I’m a petrol head from birth. I haven’t even driven an electric car but I recognise that, that is one of the significant futures of transport. So a car manufacturer/ designer is going to do elec concepts rather than a V8. 

so long as the club lobbies for a continuation of petrol production and dispensations for classic car users it’s money well spent in membership. 

Like all of that, if in the unlikely event that BMW are happy to do so. Especially with TR owner Club/TR Registers long term agreement. This could be a real coup, like MG and Jaguar, Mercedes, to have a current model in production, I believe would help our club immensely.

Had a good look at it today, & listened to the interview with one of the designers.  It's not the prettyest car, & I was most disapointed to learn that there was no drive train or motor or batteries fitted to it (yet).  Will any more be made - probably not. but at least it has brought the Triumph name back into the public eye, & the comparison with the TR2 maybe will make some people think about maybe owning an original TR.

Bob