TR6 standard wheels verses Wire wheels

33 minutes ago, RogerH said:

Wires need a good deal of looking after.

They are also not quite round.  Transferring from wires to Alloys makes you realise what a round wheel is.

They do look good tho'

Roger

Completley agree on the roundness thing:)

But can't agree on the looks thing.

But of course its 100% a case of personal preference and individual choice.

I like chrome (well stainless) trim rings despite the fact that they are not correct for my 72 Pi.

But each to their own.

Cheers    Keith

Wire wheels and adaptors very heavy. Spokes loosen over time. Can be difficult to balance. Cleaning might take a while. But they do look nice.

Alloys generally lighter than steel & much lighter than wires (unless you insist on the centre lock option). Can be balanced anywhere. Not too much choice of style these days as most modern cars have a totally different offset (or ET) to our old bangers.

Seems to me that standard steels are actually more of a rarity than minilite copies.

Well, you did ask.

Jerry

I like the minilites and the good quality copies

I followed a French Blue CR through the Wallasey tunnel yesterday (was it you ?!) M reg with wheelbarrow exhaust and blue led dash lights on wire wheels.

Looked amazing and reminded me what a handsome car the TR6 is.

I did however think it would look a lot more “butch” on the steels.

The 5 suits wires with it’s styling, but to my mind the 6 is at it’s peak on steels.

Edited by Jonny TR6

Hi Jonny,

Not me! Yet to venture through either tunnel. Mine’s a K reg. in Pimento red and is currently on its steels. Got a wheelbarrow exhaust though. 

As ever, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but whether it’s wires or steels I guess we all agree TRs are absolute stunners!

10 hours ago, Jonny TR6 said:

I followed a French Blue CR through the Wallasey tunnel yesterday (was it you ?!) M reg with wheelbarrow exhaust and blue led dash lights on wire wheels.

The 5 suits wires with it’s styling, but to my mind the 6 is at it’s peak on steels.

Hi, No it wasn't me driving around Wallasey, many thanks for feedback thou :-)

10 hours ago, Jonny TR6 said:

+1 Beauty is as ever in the eye of the beholder, but for me wires on the 4/5 look perfect, while the ‘washing machine drums’ on the 6 are brilliantly consistent with the rest of Karmann’s work. Arguably the best refresh ever done in a car, particularly given the non existent budget.

For me, the 70's shape of a TR6, is best suited to the original pressed steel wheel, over wire wheels.  Finding companies these days that can balance wire wheels, can also be a challenge.  They are also not as strong, and with the condition of UK roads, I am not sure I would consider them. However, if you insist on wire wheels, specifically on a TR6, then I think the centre laced wires actually look the best on a TR6, because of the extra rim, makes them look more aggressive.

I run a 15x7 Minilite looking wheel (Racelites).

YBT6.jpg

I prefer wires on the earlier more rounded cars, not sure it suits the '6 so well. It was an option though and the early Press car had them, so perfectly acceptable for a factory correct look on an early TR6. If I were to have them though, personally I'd avoid chrome and centre laced, as I don't think they look good. Lots of people do though, just not for me. 

Gareth

I'm biased but the minimal plain steel wheels I think suit the 6's muscular looks but get the draw of the wires for the TR4/5 which have the 1960's gentleman's sports car appeal complete with tweed jacket and pipe.

Andy

I bought a Panasport Z-light the other day - I was amazed just picking up the box the weight difference - its 6.5kg for a 15x6.

The Minilite 15x6 is 9.3kg.

Of course, you can race/rally/crash a Minilite and it won't break (they also use a 'Grp4 steel insert' in the lug hole to reinforce that area). 

12 hours ago, Malbaby said:

They cannot possibly be as strong as a solid rim...If a wire wheel collapses, then you may be severely injured.

Possibly stronger than a steel rim.

Possibly stronger than a cheap alloy rim.

Possibly less prone to catastrophic failure. 

…but heavier. 

I have wire wheels on both my TR6 and TR3A,

The set on the TR6 have been on the car, which is my daily driver, of the last twenty years and so far no issues at all. The TR3A had a broken spoke when I bought the car,  I changed out the spoke in a couple of hours for just the cost of the spoke.

For cleaning I use a cleaner and protector that the TR Shop supplies I do this once a year and then when the car is cleaned I just hose the muck of the wire wheels.

Next time you come to Wistow for club night you can have a good look at my 6

George