Anyone bought 165x80xR15 tyres recently

I have  searched googled for 165x80xR15 tyres but most suggestions are either very expensive or from Europe with very poor reviews. Have used Hankook Optima in past and was looking for either, Hankook, Vredestein T Trac 2, or Maxiss. 

Thanks Chris

After discussion with Tony Sheach, both of us have purchased a set of Michelin XZX 165 R15, fitted on 5" alloys.

This will restore my gearing (rpm per 1000 rpm) to what it was when I purchased 4VC in 1969.

The 195s which I have been using for 30 years on TR6 5.5" steel rims have meant that I had to use more rpm at a given speed because the overall diameter is smaller - and manoeuvring at low speed has been much harder work.

Cannot yet report on how the car feels as have only just fitted the Michelins and the first run will be to Shepton Mallet on Friday.

Ian Cornish

1 hour ago, Hamish said:

I think blockleys are being used with success

https://www.blockleytyre.com/product/165vr15

I was having my wheels balanced at a well know supplier of tyres for classic and vintage vehicles and they said they do not sell Blockley are they are troublesome, what ever that means.

32 minutes ago, Phil Read said:

they do not sell Blockley are they are troublesome, what ever that means.

Probably means the margin is lower and they don't get a discount from the makers.

48 minutes ago, Phil Read said:

I was having my wheels balanced at a well know supplier of tyres for classic and vintage vehicles and they said they do not sell Blockley are they are troublesome, what ever that means.

i think this thread says it all.

i know one classic tyre retailer that heavily pushes the MITCH XAS at full whack 

horses for courses, I think RobH is close to the reality. 

I would be very happy to try the blockleys

Don't discount the Continental CT22 tyres. Reasonably priced and available.

Fitted quite a few and they are rather good :)

Tom

On 8/7/2023 at 3:46 PM, ChrisR-4A said:

I have  searched googled for 165x80xR15 tyres but most suggestions are either very expensive or from Europe with very poor reviews. Have used Hankook Optima in past and was looking for either, Hankook, Vredestein T Trac 2, or Maxiss. 

Thanks Chris

All sorted now, Ordered T Trac 2s from giga tyres but would not recommend the company.  Good price but, From day one no tracking info was avail and quoted delivery was 5-8 days. After 8 days nothing so contacted giga tyres only to be told there was a delay and they could not provide a new delivery date so contacted PayPal to get refund. Then, 3 days later a text from DPD delivery in 2 hours time. I was out but asked for tyres to be left in garden and they were. 

Terrible lack of communication from giga, tyres, but at least they arrived eventually. 

Edited by ChrisR-4A

Hi Chris,

I had a similar experience with Black Circles recently with t-Trac 2s.  Good price and 4 ordered for fitting locally.  later got an email saying they were now out of stock and the fitting was cancelled.  I found out later from the fitter that the tyres were sent to them as ordered but they returned them when the fitting was cancelled by Black Circles.

I did get support and an apology from Black Circles and after reordering the tyres are now fitted - but I could have done without the problem.

Mark

I'd like to hear from someone who's had the XAS as to how they compare to anything else he's tried.

In 185s nothing has come anywhere near in my experience, which includes Dunlop, Avon, Michelin Redline in 185 and Michelin Pilot Exalto in 195/65 and Michelin XWX in 185/70.

On 8/11/2023 at 2:37 PM, ChrisR-4A said:

All sorted now, Ordered T Trac 2s from giga tyres but would not recommend the company.  Good price but, From day one no tracking info was avail and quoted delivery was 5-8 days. After 8 days nothing so contacted giga tyres only to be told there was a delay and they could not provide a new delivery date so contacted PayPal to get refund. Then, 3 days later a text from DPD delivery in 2 hours time. I was out but asked for tyres to be left in garden and they were. 

Terrible lack of communication from giga, tyres, but at least they arrived eventually. 

I ordered Hankook through giga tyres at a very good price. Fortunately I did my research, read the poor reviews and gave myself plenty of lead time. They took 4 weeks to arrive but I was expecting that. Judging by the date stamp they had come straight from the factory.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/8/2023 at 9:58 AM, mikej said:

Recently fitted Continental CT22s and so far, very happy with them.  I use Black Circle Tyres who deliver to you or your fitter in 24Hrs.  They have 4 popular makes to suit early TRs with or without tubes. https://www.blackcircles.com/tyres/165-80-15

MikeJ

One more for Continetal CT22 :)