List of spares you carry when touring??

Hi all,

We're doing some minor bits to our 73 TR-6 right now and her indoors asked me about spares. For 20 years we toured all over the world with our Caterham, and kept a small set of spares* in the boot all the time.

Does anyone have a decent list of the "must haves" you carry you would share? We're off to tour Cornwall in June, and perhaps to top of Scotland in Sept so I would like to get these ordered in the next few weeks. It would be especially helpful to know which part numbers as a bonus^_^

*= clutch cable, accelerator cable, tyre filling kit, belts, pair of brake pads, spare headlight bulb, 1 bottle of oil, 1 bottle brake fluid,

Hi Steve, this is the list of stuff that I normally carry when touring. Most of it is in the car all the time. We did 1600 miles down and up through France last year in a max of 47 degrees and all that failed was my overdrive switch(adapted to momentary for logic device) I didn’t have one of them though.

TOURING BOOT SPARES LIST

Boot Upper: Warning Triangle, 1/2 Drive Socket Set, Trolley Jack.

2 Lts 50/50 Water, 2 X H4 Bulbs, Light Bulb Set, Spanner Set, 2 Lt of 20/60w Oil. 

Tool Roll: Brake Adjuster Spanner, Adjustable Spanner, Mole Grips, Magnetic Pick-Up, Feeler Gauges, Stanley Knife, Large Pliers, Wire Cutters, Long-Nose Pliers. 

Boot Lower: Coil, Fan Belt, Bottle Of Rad Weld, 1/2 Lt Brake Fluid, Emergency Tape, Solder Iron, Air Compressor, Tow Rope, Scissor Jack, Assorted Screwdrivers, Electrical Crimping Tool, Pipe Clamp, Meter, Tyre Gloves, Jump Leads.

Under Spare Wheel: Injector Push In, Adaptor Seals, Mu O Rings, Red Drive Gear, Fuel Pressure Gauge, Large Cable Ties, Dizzy Cap, Rotor Arm, Condenser, Points, Lead Set, Spark Plug Set, Brake Bleed Kit, Flasher Relays, Relays, Throttle Cable, Radiator Hoses, Jubilee Clips, Wire & Connectors, Brake Light Switch, Battery Screw, Copper Eaze.

Side of Fuel Tank: Rad Cap, Universal Joint, Wheel Bearing Kit, Sealant, Thermostat & Gasket.

In Car: 2 X High-Vis Jackets, First Aid Kit, Scissors, Fire Extinguisher.

Glove Box: Assorted Fuses, Assorted Cable Ties, Manual, Phone Leads etc. 

1 hour ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

We did this once before.

My suggestion

IMG_0447.jpeg

Peter, thanks for the :D:D, that was a long time ago when I was a much younger man and single  :P

Plugs, ignition leads -king and the longest. Spare coil, ignition module, dizzy cap & rotor arm. Wire & terminals. Fan belt. Spare hoses. Jubilee clips. Nuts/bolts. Rad sealer. Bottle of water, brake fluid. Oil. Metering unit drive dog. Gasket paper. Fuses. Seal kits for master & slave cylinders. U/J. Fuel injector & injector leads (banjo and ordinary)

Longer trips, between us metering unit, water pump and alternator.

Water  and brake fluid?   Every service station in the world sells brake fluid (except, possibly, in Havana) and any liquid is heavy.   An empty bottle by all means, can be used for anything hat is leaking.

And I humbly submit that if you suspect in any way that your brakes might need new seals - DO IT BEFORE YOU SET OFF!

John

Top tip: Along with all the usual stuff (car and experience specific) I carry a length of twin core cable with a set of universal connectors on one end and a 16amp single action toggle switch at the other. Good for jury rigging failed light switches, kenlow thermo switches, wiper switches etc. Forgotten how many times I have donated the kit on tour, most recently a TR6 wiper switch that had literally melted. Got the car home from Sicily through two days of torrential rain  

Wiper.jpg

1 hour ago, john.r.davies said:

Water  and brake fluid?   Every service station in the world sells brake fluid (except, possibly, in Havana) and any liquid is heavy.   An empty bottle by all means, can be used for anything hat is leaking.

And I humbly submit that if you suspect in any way that your brakes might need new seals - DO IT BEFORE YOU SET OFF!

John

If you use silicon brake fluid it's worth taking some with you as it's not always easy to get in service stations

George 

These are some great suggestions. Completely agree with the universal wire and switch. I carry a fully wired up replacement distributor with me and a replacement fuel pump (facet as I run a supercharger). 

I also have a spare slave and master cylinder for the clutch. 

We've done a number of rbrrs 10crs and lemans/spa trips and it does seem that electrical and hydraulic issues are pretty common. I have wondered about carrying an alternator but just seems too bulky. 

I also favour carry stuff that amazon/local motor factors cannot provide, that are mission critical. 

When I ran PI I always kept a couple of injectors in the tool box and these saved me on a number of occasions. Including when one injector fell apart on the way to spa. The red coupling between the mu and dizzy drive is also a no brainer. 

Some long bolts of various sizes used on the car and a hacksaw can also help you if you loose a bolt. Although I got pretty good at transferring bolts from non mission critical items in the car. 

Also don't forget a head torch or 2. Very helpful when working under the car or in the dark. 

Tim

8 minutes ago, Gordon Bayley said:

A membership with the RAC is a good idea

DSCF6052.JPG

+1. The service technicians  would be of limited use repairing  a TR but I'd hate to leave the car unattended on the road overnight.

Most years a crowd of us take our cars on a week or twe long trip somewhere, and naturally we  take a few parts with use, we tend to only take bits that we can fit at the side of the road and will stop the trip. For example we carry a water pump but not an alternator as you can keep going by swapping batteries from one car to another. About the only exception to this are a couple of UJs as almost any garage will change a UJ so long as they have one.

I suppose that we have had most of the usual things fail but so far have not resorted to a breakdown service. (I say this firmly gripping wood):huh:

The most important thing is to get the car good before setting out on a long trip.

George 

O yes, one to add to your list. An accelerator cable. Had one go 20 miles from the end of the round Britain. Was pleased to have a spare to fit. 

Tim

Thanks guys, you’ve given me great insights. I’m going to finalise a list & will post. I should have mentioned we also have Green Flag card/app plus.

Don't forget to download the award winning European Breakdown app: https://www.tr-register.co.uk/resources/app

It gives you access to 452 classic car friendly garages, recommended by TR owners, across 15 countries. We now have over 1200 contributors. 

We have had an enormous amount of positive feedback where a trip or tour has been saved by using the app.

I carry all the usual spares, particularly anything originally made by Lucas. For the simple stuff like points, coil, rotor arm etc. it is a good idea to buy a good quality item and fit it to the car long before you leave home to make sure it works, then take your original, working one with you as a spare you can trust.

Mick

4 hours ago, Mick Forey said:

Don't forget to download the award winning European Breakdown app: https://www.tr-register.co.uk/resources/app

It gives you access to 452 classic car friendly garages, recommended by TR owners, across 15 countries. We now have over 1200 contributors. 

We have had an enormous amount of positive feedback where a trip or tour has been saved by using the app.

I carry all the usual spares, particularly anything originally made by Lucas. For the simple stuff like points, coil, rotor arm etc. it is a good idea to buy a good quality item and fit it to the car long before you leave home to make sure it works, then take your original, working one with you as a spare you can trust.

Mick

Thanks Mick, I downloaded the app when I joined the club!

Jumper leads, or a battery pack to just start if you leave your lights on!  and a multimeter so you can identify the problem.

My 5500mile trip to Helsinky 2 years ago, all I needed was a battery in Moscow!  It will be the one part you didn't think to take, however much stuff you take, it will be the problem, it always is.

My worst fear in Russia, was a mechanical failure, as my Visa was for a set time period only, and didnt want to try explain overstaying, so a rope was added, so I could at least get a tow to the border in necessary!

I have also noticed lately its very difficult to get an inner tube repaired believe it or not,  so I would take a inner tube. 

John

Is the spade for burying the car when you have had enough?