TR5 CP1 for sale

Just had a copy of the Silverstone Auction catalogue drop through my door and it seems that the Twin Sparks collection is selling off a number of cars including  the ex works TR5 demo car LHP 288F  or CP1  as its being advertised.  It doesn't have the original engine number, (CP3)  as it was replaced with another early unit, CP28E. Its estimated to go under the hammer for around £55,000-£65,000.  The book says Dave Bishop was the former owner and those of you who have heard  of Dave will know that he worked for BL Heritage and helped to set up the TR6 body shell project. 

hoges. 

Sorry but thats a real shame that any originality has been lost, no engine bay fuel pump, no early alternator, later air bleed valve and black painted air box. Panel fit is awful too as is the hood and frame.

Stuart.

It doesn't state when the engine was changed, but presumably early on in it's life with the replacement engine being so low a number, so surely this is still part of it's history?

The Royal Blue Paint/Tan interior look good in the photographs and with the exception of the Boot lid panel fit looks reasonable to me (A lot of TR's have probably been restored to a better standard than when they where made originally anyway?).

I keep hearing and reading that values are stalling on upper level classics, presumably due to us being on the edge of a recession, so it will be interesting to see if it reaches the lower reserve value and sells

CP2 is still listed for sale at a Classic Car Dealer fairly local to me and as been for sale for several months, although the price listed for this one is high in my opinion  

https://sherwoodrestorations.co.uk/vehicle/1967-triumph-tr5/

Gary  

Edited by Gary F
38 minutes ago, Gary F said:

It doesn't state when the engine was changed, but presumably early on in it's life with the replacement engine being so low a number, so surely this is still part of it's history?

The Royal Blue Paint/Tan interior look good in the photographs and with the exception of the Boot lid panel fit looks reasonable to me (A lot of TR's have probably been restored to a better standard than when they where made originally anyway?).

I keep hearing and reading that values are stalling on upper level classics, presumably due to us being on the edge of a recession, so it will be interesting to see if it reaches the lower reserve value and sells

CP2 is still listed for sale at a Classic Car Dealer fairly local to me and as been for sale for several months, although the price listed for this one is high in my opinion  

https://sherwoodrestorations.co.uk/vehicle/1967-triumph-tr5/

Gary  

There is also quite a gap between the offside front wing and door as far as I can see. 

CP2 looks a better car than CP1 though in my opinion. Engine number for this one is CP1E, so I assume that's original.

15 hours ago, tr graham said:

And many many more things could be added to Stuart’s list , cp2  a better buy 

Yes a much nicer car, still a shame it doesnt have the pump up front for originality though.;)

Stuart.

On 2/15/2023 at 12:58 PM, PGB BME said:

Surely the car isn’t CP1 anymore?

Surely anyone buying it would just be buying a TR5, the provenance has gone along with the original engine and the mods.

I don't see an engine change by the factory, at the factory (as this surely was) affecting any cars value. This cars replacement engine CP28E was in a batch of engines that seem to have been used by the factory as replacement units, and in other projects. We have CP26E, and CP29E here, one in a prototype 2.5PI Estate, and the other in one of Triumphs most successful rally cars.

Edited by multipletriumphsinner

Cp2 his that the one that tr bitzs sold years ago  hit was rebuilt engine gearbox and all running gear useing all original parts the technician was John  when it was cleaned and polished it looked good  job done done for the team at tr bitzs 

Edited by DOG_MORGAN
7 hours ago, Kenrow said:

How did it look up close and in person?

To me.

Too tall at the rear as if it had jacked up rear suspension and the doors were not squared between the A and B posts.   Jacking the rear body up off the chassis might bring the doors into square.   A paving slab in the boot would lower the rear end.   Trial and error I guess.

Hopefully the car was purchased by an enthusiastic owner who is going to use the car and we will have the pleasure of seeing it out and about at various events around the country rather than been tucked away as an investment. I've only ever seen LHP 288F once and it just happened tobe on the forecourt of my local garage with the mechanic scratching his head trying to sort the fuel injection out because it wouldn't run properly. At the time it was owned by David Bishop, this would have been some 10 years ago I guess and I took the opportunity to take a photo of it with LHP 294F. Look forward to learning who the new owner is.

16 hours ago, Dave McDonald said:

Sold for £39,333 I believe. 
Seems very cheap. 
Dave McD

i agree

with work it could be an exceptional car if put back to original spec .

Yes shame it lost it's original engine but a factory replacement is part of the cars history.

Roy

6 hours ago, roy53 said:

i agree

with work it could be an exceptional car if put back to original spec .

Yes shame it lost it's original engine but a factory replacement is part of the cars history.

Roy

So really it’s just a TR5 now then?