Blockley Tyre

I agree, remoulds were an option in my student days but I prefer my neck and body remaining linked. Even reputable makes. The wire in the construction will fatigue too.

Likewise there is a significant difference between tyres of different designs. This isn't just tread pattern and rubber, the sidewall variation plays a part too. That's why some makes of tyre are more sensitive to, or perhaps prefer different pressures.

glad you got sorted Mike. 

I  race on sticky low profile remoulds for most of my events or some used Avon CR6zz for higher speed events On the road I have vredestien sprint classic. 
all are road legal. 

C861C5DE-3D15-4121-909A-E9BA966C3298.jpeg

Edited by Hamish
10 hours ago, ianc said:

Whitewalls are HORRIBLE - but that's just my opinion, of course.

Ian Cornish

Agreed. My 4A went new to California with whitewall tyres! Thank goodness it came home to be restored that included non whitewalls!

Yes T-trac 2  for me as well, absolutely love them on my 4a, they give me complete confidence. much preferred to the Michelins that were on it before.  In a German {?) test of 'classic' car tyres a couple of years ago, the Blockley tyres came 6th out of eight tested only beating a Budget tyre and the Retro and beaten by Dunlop, Michelin, Vredestein, Pirelli and Avon.  All tested on a Healey 3000.  

The final comments on the Blockley were: "Strengths: excellent aquaplaning safety reserves, well-balanced handling in dry conditions. Weaknesses: choppy handling, too little lateral stability and heavy oversteering in wet, long braking distances in wet and dry." 

The test were for the brand's classic tread pattern tyres and only the top four were recommended.  Their summary was: "Modern vintage-look tyres help keep the classic car and motorsports scene on the road. They improve driving dynamics and boost driving safety, particularly in the wet. But only half the tyres in our list managed to pass our test with a grade of “exemplary”. Best leave the others well alone – in the interests of personal safety"  Personally I prefer the more modern tread pattern, rather than the classic ones.

12 hours ago, Colin Symonds said:

In a German {?) test of 'classic' car tyres a couple of years ago, the Blockley tyres came 6th out of eight tested only beating a Budget tyre and the Retro and beaten by Dunlop, Michelin, Vredestein, Pirelli and Avon.  All tested on a Healey 3000.  

Chalk and cheese handling comparing tests done on a lorry like the Healey and our TRs. Meaningless really as those cars handle so differently.

Stuart.

Having recommended Blockleys I was staggered to read that there maybe a possibility that they were anything but a new high quality tyre as a consequence I mailed Blockley for clarification. ( I state now that I have “no connection to Blockley what-so-ever” I’m just a very happy customer. 

Julan Majzub owner/ director of Blockley wrote a reply which he is very happy for me to post.

Hi Iain,

All Blockley tyres, whether the early beaded edge type, the Vintage cross plys or the radial range are all made on brand new made moulds and tooling to the highest quality that is possible. If we are not making the best, there is no need to be making them. The tyres are all high speed rated to ensure they are round and the radials are all individually inspected and unlike any other Classic type tyre have a mark on them to show you the best position to put on the wheel. And unlike alot of the brand name tyres, you don't need to be using 1 lb. of lead to balance them.

Nothing we make is a remould! Our prices are low, only because we sell direct to the end user and garages/ restoration companies, and not through the Classic tyre wholesalers, and that way we don't need to include their margins. We stopped selling through the tyre agents as they were often doubling or more the list price so they could make teh same margins as what they were used to.

We guarantee (in writing) that if our Blockley tyres are not the best a customer has driven on we will refund - our tyres have won the RAC Rally of the tests (where most people are using CR6Z Avons etc) and the Pirelli Marathon Challenge so there can't be too much wrong with them! I started Blockley because I have some great cars which I use alot and even race as well (our tyres are all genuine road legal tyres with good tread depth and sidewalls) and have won many races on them including Monaco, Goodwood etc. Everything made by the big companies are made for profit, and we make for quality. I suspect if you are reading that Blockley tyres are **** / remoulds it is by someone behind the wholesalers who hate the fact that so many people are on our tyres and need to do something about it - and are advertising like there is no tomorrow, as you will notice picking up any magazine. We don't advertise much and instead spend it on the tyres themselves (and decent tubes far better than anything else available, including Michelin and so on). Anyone trying our tyres recommends them to their friends, which is how we do it - why anyone buys anything else is a mystery to us, but many people think if they spend twice as much they are getting something better - which they are not!

What is your car and what tyres were you after? You can read detailed descriptions of any of our tyres on our website www.blockleytyre.com

Best Wishes,

Julian.

PS Attached the Blockley brochure showing everything we produce at a glance - currently 60 tyre sizes plus tubes and bands.

-- 
Julian Majzub BSc.Eng.
e: info@blockleytyre.com
t: +44 (0) 1386 70 1717
The Blockley Tyre Company Limited
www.blockleytyre.com

Blockley's salesman at the Spares Show told me that the company supplies tubes, and they are listed in the leaflet which I acquired.  Also listed are rim bands for all widths (incl. Borrani) @ £3 + VAT.

Ian Cornish

On 2/20/2023 at 11:56 AM, John Morrison said:

Does anyone have any experience good or bad running these tyres with tubes?

John.

Hi John,

I have a set here waiting for spring. I went for 185/70 on my 5.5 inch, 72-spoke wires so I'll be interested to see how they perform. As you know, I tend to spend a reasonable amount of time on gravel roads so I'm hoping to give them a good test and will definitely report back. 

My previous choice for several years has been Vredestein Snow+ in 165/80 but they've been increasingly hard to find so I started wondering about the eye-watering high-end Michelin or Pirelli but decided to give the Blockleys a go. It will be interesting to see if that was a good choice!!

News in due course, subject to the Canadian climate...

Tim

On 2/15/2023 at 11:40 PM, Colin Symonds said:

In a German {?) test of 'classic' car tyres a couple of years ago, the Blockley tyres came 6th out of eight tested only beating a Budget tyre and the Retro and beaten by Dunlop, Michelin, Vredestein, Pirelli and 

Not long ago they published a new test with small classic cars and Walter Röhrl as a co-tester.

I remember the quotation about Blockley was polite.

Edited by Z320
  • 2 weeks later...

Just an update - after considering all the very helpful recommendations from members, Tony Sheach and I have decided to select Michelin XZX 165/80 R15 to be fitted to our ARE alloy wheels for 4VC and 5VC.

This means that the tyres will be of the size which the Works used in 1962/3, and my speedometer should read correctly, apart from its wobble !   At present it reads high because 195/65 tyres are slightly smaller in overall diameter.

Ian Cornish

2 hours ago, ianc said:

Just an update - after considering all the very helpful recommendations from members, Tony Sheach and I have decided to select Michelin XZX 165/80 R15 to be fitted to our ARE alloy wheels for 4VC and 5VC.

This means that the tyres will be of the size which the Works used in 1962/3, and my speedometer should read correctly, apart from its wobble !   At present it reads high because 195/65 tyres are slightly smaller in overall diameter.

Ian Cornish

I didnt think you used the ARE wheels on yours now Ian?

Stuart.

Correct, Stuart.

In 1970, I replaced the original 60-spoke wire wheels with TR6 steel wheels, fitted with 165/80s - probably Cinturatos.

When the car was rebuilt by Revington in the early 1990s, I had 195/65s fitted and have been running with these ever since (not the same set as fitted in 1993!).

I acquired a set of ARE wheels in 2017 and my son has persuaded me that they are more "in period" as Kastner fitted them to 3/5/6VC for the Shell 4000 in 1964.

Apart from the correction to the gearing, I am expecting a reduction in steering effort at low speed, especially when I have to execute a 180 degree turn in restricted space to get the car into & out of the garage.

The fact that Tony has decided on the same tyres and ARE wheels for 5VC bolsters my confidence.

Ian Cornish

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/15/2023 at 10:40 PM, Colin Symonds said:

Yes T-trac 2  for me as well, absolutely love them on my 4a, they give me complete confidence. much preferred to the Michelins that were on it before.  In a German {?) test of 'classic' car tyres a couple of years ago, the Blockley tyres came 6th out of eight tested only beating a Budget tyre and the Retro and beaten by Dunlop, Michelin, Vredestein, Pirelli and Avon.  All tested on a Healey 3000.  

The final comments on the Blockley were: "Strengths: excellent aquaplaning safety reserves, well-balanced handling in dry conditions. Weaknesses: choppy handling, too little lateral stability and heavy oversteering in wet, long braking distances in wet and dry." 

The test were for the brand's classic tread pattern tyres and only the top four were recommended.  Their summary was: "Modern vintage-look tyres help keep the classic car and motorsports scene on the road. They improve driving dynamics and boost driving safety, particularly in the wet. But only half the tyres in our list managed to pass our test with a grade of “exemplary”. Best leave the others well alone – in the interests of personal safety"  Personally I prefer the more modern tread pattern, rather than the classic ones.

Hi Colin,

I am replacing all 5 tyres (F560) are they are rather elderly and very much like the idea of the T- trac 2.

as a fellow Herefordshire resident, where did you get them fitted as I have drawn a bit of a blank so far. Michelin  inner tubes the best I presume?

thanks!

9 minutes ago, Nick Seber said:

Hi Colin,

I am replacing all 5 tyres (F560) are they are rather elderly and very much like the idea of the T- trac 2.

as a fellow Herefordshire resident, where did you get them fitted as I have drawn a bit of a blank so far. Michelin  inner tubes the best I presume?

thanks!

9 minutes ago, Nick Seber said:

Hi Colin,

thanks!

Nick - I can't help with a local tyre supplier as I'm not local, but Blockley tubes are well rated by many people and many racers so they must be pretty good -just checked their website here https://www.blockleytyre.com/product/155/165x15-tr13

Cheers Rich

• 2 weeks later...

Got my Vredstein T trac via BlackCircle.com delivered to and fitted by local garage, about £65 a corner 

On 3/21/2023 at 4:18 PM, Nick Seber said:

Hi Colin,

thanks!

I too bought mine off Black Circle, but as my car was at TRGB for an engine rebuild I had them shipped to them and they fitted them for me.  Michelin tubes. Not sure what garages locally have the cones for balancing wire wheels, if using solid wheels, then I have had good treatment at John Wood Tyres in Hereford

3 hours ago, Colin Symonds said:

I too bought mine off Black Circle, but as my car was at TRGB for an engine rebuild I had them shipped to them and they fitted them for me.  Michelin tubes. Not sure what garages locally have the cones for balancing wire wheels, if using solid wheels, then I have had good treatment at John Wood Tyres in Hereford

Actually Blockley tyres have the correct cones for balancing wires or centre lock Minilite type wheels. Bought my T Tracs online & took them to Blockley for fitting & balance. Reasonable price charged.