I admit that I can't tell the history of the FIA's F1 REgulations, but I'm familiar (as I should be) with Motorposrt UK's Yearbook, the 'Bluebook' of motorsport regulations.   And I know how much that has evolved in the years I've been racing.    I suppose that the Rules of Golf, Ballroom Dancing and Shuffleboard have evolved in the same way, as events unfold and reveal the inadequacies of previous wording.    The Bluebook has certainly got thicker, and presumably more expensive to produce, so that MUK doesn't send you a copy when you get your licence  any more. 

I don't think that when it was written, a last lap Pace car was foreseen, BN, so there will probably be a revision ro 39.12 next year!  

PS, RE the above debate (Oh, yes it is!)  it was the Touring Cars  (BTCC) that attracted enormous crowds and TV contracts,by alowing conduct on track that would never have bene tolerated in anyother championship.   This was intentional, and unbeliveabaly allowed by the RAC which at one time included a paragraph in the Bluebook that allowed BTCC to police its own discipline!     "No one ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the human race"

Edited by john.r.davies

Deggers and Nigel are completely and irrefutably correct……

Even before all the shenanigans of Sundays last lap, F1 was gaining a huge increase in new followers and the demographics are much wider than one (better nameless for the momB)ent ) or two miserable and bitter old gits…… I heard a little while ago that an entirely new generation of teenagers and young folk in their twenties, including substantial number of girls previously uninterested, have been drawn in by watching the ‘Drive to Survive’ series on Netflix….. I’ve not seen it nor know nothing about it but it has led to an entirely new paradigm shift in F1 viewers.

On a final note to Waldi, Well done to your truculent, surly young tear away……… ‘Normal’ service will be resumed next year with Lewis and the talented young Lando fighting over the podium top spot?! :P

25 minutes ago, Mick Forey said:

I want to see how George Russell performs next to Lewis - team player or serious competitor?

Mick

I agree, when he drove Lewis's car he looked seriouse, but when the pit crew  messed up (to put it politely) he didn't complain much. Time will tell no doubt.

23 minutes ago, Tony_C said:

. . . it has led to an entirely new paradigm shift in F1 viewers.

And their demands are first and foremost, to be entertained.

Whether they agreed with the ruling of events on Sunday or not, they certainly got themselves a spectacle: and one which they'd reach into their pockets to pay for every day of the week. 

From the same 2021 survey :

"Penetration of pay-TV is high, with half of the fans now watching races on pay TV.  68% of fans say that in the future they want to watch the live races on TV, while 13.8% say they want to watch online."

Deggers

2 hours ago, ntc said:

In the same spirit how many on here have said they will not be watching again 

Indeed, but what people say and what they actually do in the future are often very different things.

....... Andy 

1 hour ago, Tony_C said:

On a final note to Waldi, Well done to your truculent, surly young tear away……… ‘Normal’ service will be resumed next year with Lewis and the talented young Lando fighting over the podium top spot?! :P

Next year will see a whole raft of changes to F1 cars from bits of the engine to wholesale changes to the aerodynamics.  It will be the team that gets those changes right who will lead the pack.  In view of the strong focus on aerodynamics RB will be up there with a good chance as they have Adrian Newey as their Director of Engineering.  On the other hand how good will their new engine be?

Rgds Ian

I don’t believe that the youngsters will be watching live  F 1, on TV, in the future. In my experience they only watch what they want to see at a time that suits their lifestyle.

I would like to see Nielsen’s  Market Research Co’ do a follow up survey, in the same vein, as their previous one but of a sample of people who watched the fiasco on Sunday. It would be interesting to compare the results of before and after.

Edited by SuzanneH
10 minutes ago, stillp said:

The "title" is meaningless this year, it doesn't matter who has it.

Pete

Tend to agree, it will always be tainted, and thats a shame, not that I'm a fan, for Verstappen.

Really good you tube video with David Croft, (Won't let me bring here) but well worth a watch, but I cannot, just cannot see, how Masi, can ever be kept in this role.

John.

Hamilton has a contract with Mercedes until 2023.    It's worth $40 million a year.    He must have more money that he could ever want, and contracts are just there to be broken, but I read his character to be as competitive as anyone.  I think he will return.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgLfOrVJJMg&ab_channel=moviequotesoneliners

JOhn

7 minutes ago, ntc said:

He is a man of principle and I think he will walk away 

Hhhmmmm

not sure that he will. Not that I think he is unprincipled- far from it, I think he really has a point to prove now.

and 2 years with full merc backing to get a world record (possibly unbeatable) 8th world championship  ?! Russell as wing man. His reward can be no.1 Driver after Lewis ( and toto) has gone.

I think Lewis and toto are a package and it will be both moving forward or neither.

Edited by Hamish