ULEZ and congestion charges

My brother lives about 100 yards outside the London low emissions zone but to get anywhere even Tesco he has to enter it. This has resulted in him having to get rid of a perfectly serviceable car and get a new one mainly to drive the two miles along country roads to get his shopping  and avoid lots of hassle.

It's a good subject to avoid when he and his neighbours are about as it prompts a rant about the mayor and the carbon footprint of producing new cars

George 

4 hours ago, harlequin said:

My brother lives about 100 yards outside the London low emissions zone but to get anywhere even Tesco he has to enter it. This has resulted in him having to get rid of a perfectly serviceable car and get a new one mainly to drive the two miles along country roads to get his shopping  and avoid lots of hassle.

It's a good subject to avoid when he and his neighbours are about as it prompts a rant about the mayor and the carbon footprint of producing new cars

George 

And that is precisely the argument used and written in the consultation period to TfL and the London mayor about this inflationary money grab.  The Mayor of London has of course discounted these responses and ignored the overwhelming voice of discontent from the outer London boroughs.   The statistics say only 15% of private cars are not compliant.  Helpfully ignoring all the self employed tradespeople in light commercials that do not comply.   You thought a plumber was expensive...they will be even more so come August with £250.00 added per month to their overheads just to own and run a serviceable and affordable van.  Think of all those service workers who live outside the capital's boroughs but travel in to work at hospitals etc.  You think the NHS and teaching is losing or cannot keep staff in London?    Kahn, The Mayor of London is signing their P45s with this scheme, because they will be reluctant to pay the extra £250. per month when buying a compliant vehicle is beyond their savings.  You know what, they'll all get a job outside London.  Welcome to the sink estate.

6 hours ago, Rob Salisbury said:

.... what happened to government for the people by the people?.

Cheers Rob

Good one Rob

We  need a Joke thread

4A1D8D10-D2E0-4688-B4EA-E252071BCB0B.jpeg

27 minutes ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

Kahn, The Mayor of London is signing their P45s with this scheme, because they will be reluctant to pay the extra £250. per month

'Ghengis' Kahn is only interested in increasing his cash-flow to fund pet projects.  Facts are just inconvenient details.  

3 hours ago, RobH said:

'Ghengis' Kahn is only interested in increasing his cash-flow to fund pet projects.  Facts are just inconvenient details.  

Is that like physically disadvantaged, ethnically challenged, gender neutral & dietary intolerant ?  

11 hours ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

Is that like physically disadvantaged, ethnically challenged, gender neutral & dietary intolerant ?  

No, it’s Elephants, cats, dogs, RATS, mice and all pets.:ph34r:

I had a 2004 range Rover V8 petrol I wanted to sell and put it on Ebay, it was mechanically sound but had done 139,000 miles. I was inudated with bids from London. In the end a Fireman from London bought it. Why? well it was LPG converted and he could use it for going in to work without paying the charges as LPG vehicles were exempt at the time.

Edited by Phil Read
1 hour ago, RobH said:

What, no urban foxes? 

Dam I forgot them, badgers and deeer.

Can't wait to retire and drive where I like with my new found right of freedom of movement and rack up the fines then with a bit of luck they can arrest me as much as they like for none payment and keep me in cushy open prison or a nice hotel with the migrants where I will be nice and warm and fed.

The councils or who ever can go B***S I've paid enough to see them waste it. As said they can't even fill the holes in!

Mass none compliance will bury it but it needs to be soon before the Woke brigade control the agenda completely won't be long before classic cars are targeted as well. I bet our French friends wouldn't wear it or the rest of the third world.

Andy

On 1/29/2023 at 11:37 AM, SuzanneH said:

No, it’s Elephants, cats, dogs, RATS, mice and all pets.:ph34r:

I would quite like a pet elephant but not sure where I would keep it maybe in the kitchen with the goldfish 

28 minutes ago, Kiwifrog said:

I would quite like a pet elephant but not sure where I would keep it maybe in the kitchen with the goldfish 

The kitchen is good so long as it don't get into the fridge as it will leave footprints on the butter:rolleyes:

George 

Edited by harlequin
4 hours ago, harlequin said:

The kitchen is good so long as it don't get into the fridge as it will leave footprints on the butter:rolleyes:

George 

06EE04DD-96F7-4E8B-9D45-0AD1309C2B4B.jpeg

Curiosity got the better of me so I looked up "quantum physics of an elephant" and found this.

Quote:

We explore the impact of long-range memory on the properties of a family of quantum walks in a one-dimensional lattice and discrete time, which can be understood as the quantum version of the classical "Elephant Random Walk" non-Markovian process. This Elephant Quantum Walk is robustly superballistic with the standard deviation showing a constant exponent, σ∝t3/2 , whatever the quantum coin operator, on which the diffusion coefficient is dependent. On the one hand, this result indicates that contrarily to the classical case, the degree of superdiffusivity in quantum non- Markovian processes of this kind is mainly ruled by the extension of memory rather than other microscopic parameters that explicitly define the process. On the other hand, these parameters reflect on the diffusion coefficient.

It seems to be some form of English but not in any normal sense of the word...:blink:

A robustly superballistic elephant sounds particularly dangerous. Hope I never meet one in my fridge. 

"A robustly superballistic elephant sounds particularly dangerous. Hope I never meet one in my fridge." :lol:

Mick Richards

1 hour ago, Motorsport Mickey said:

"A robustly superballistic elephant sounds particularly dangerous. Hope I never meet one in my fridge." :lol:

Mick Richards

Check for footprints in the butter Mick!

Up there with Bistromathics then.

Bistromathics

Bistromathics is the most powerful computational force known to parascience. A major step up from the Infinite Improbability Drive, Bistromathics is a way of understanding the behavior of numbers. Just as Einstein observed that time was not an absolute, but depended on the observer's movement through space, so it was realised that numbers are not absolute, but depend on the observer's movement in restaurants.

Nonabsoluteness

The first nonabsolute number is the number of people for whom the table is reserved. This will vary during the course of the first three telephone calls to the restaurant, and then bear no apparent relation to the number of people who actually turn up, or to the number of people who subsequently join them after the show/match/party/gig, or to the number of people who leave when they see who else has turned up.

The second nonabsolute number is the given time of arrival, which is now known to be one of those most bizarre of mathematical concepts, a recipriversexclusion, a number whose existence can only be defined as being anything other than itself. In other words, the given time of arrival is the one moment of time at which it is impossible that any member of the party will arrive. Recipriversexclusions now play a vital part in many branches of maths, including statistics and accountancy and also form the basic equations used to engineer the Somebody Else's Problem field.

The third and most mysterious piece of nonabsoluteness of all lies in the relationship between the number of items on the bill, the cost of each item, the number of people at the table and what they are each prepared to pay for. (The number of people who have actually brought any money is only a subphenomenon in this field.)

Numbers written on restaurant checks within the confines of restaurants do not follow the same mathematical laws as numbers written on any other pieces of paper in any other parts of the universe.

Appearances

Bistromathics is found in Chapter 7 (depending on the printing) of the Douglas Adams novel Life, the Universe and Everything.

Usage on Earth

”Bistromathic Recipriversexclusion Estimation”, or BRE is a purposefully impressive bit of jargon designed and used by engineers to bedazzle management and marketing executives. A rough translation into something that would be said at the pub one engineer to another is ”2 pints of napkin math, near enough”.

10 hours ago, RobH said:

Curiosity got the better of me so I looked up "quantum physics of an elephant" and found this.

Quote:

We explore the impact of long-range memory on the properties of a family of quantum walks in a one-dimensional lattice and discrete time, which can be understood as the quantum version of the classical "Elephant Random Walk" non-Markovian process. This Elephant Quantum Walk is robustly superballistic with the standard deviation showing a constant exponent, σ∝t3/2 , whatever the quantum coin operator, on which the diffusion coefficient is dependent. On the one hand, this result indicates that contrarily to the classical case, the degree of superdiffusivity in quantum non- Markovian processes of this kind is mainly ruled by the extension of memory rather than other microscopic parameters that explicitly define the process. On the other hand, these parameters reflect on the diffusion coefficient.

It seems to be some form of English but not in any normal sense of the word...:blink:

A robustly superballistic elephant sounds particularly dangerous. Hope I never meet one in my fridge. 

A random walk used to be a cheap “ Sampling Method” for an ad-hoc Survey. Presumably the Standard Deviation constant exponent a-t3/2 was the grossing up factor to bring the Sample up to the level of the real population.:o Of fridge elephants.

Edited by SuzanneH

One for the moderators.    This may not comply, if so please delete

Petition to Mayor of London regarding the ULEZ expansion.

https://action.conservatives.com/stop-drivers-tax/

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT
5 hours ago, SuzanneH said:

It’s absurd that taxpayers money might be wasted on paying lawyers to argue the rights and wrongs of establishing ULEZ in some boroughs. A complete and utter waste of money. 

Rgds Ian