ULEZ and congestion charges

The strategy is easy to follow.   First tactic is to create a self funding ULEZ area. When that income drops below the cost of all proposed money wasting schemes, add or turn it into a ‘congestion charge zone’.  That will perpetuate the income stream and tax all residents as they go about their business.    
If I were a big supermarket owner I’d be looking at building in the counties, just outside the London boroughs and closing all those existing shops inside that are close to its borders with the counties. 
If this were Paris expect mass disobedience on the horizon.

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT
32 minutes ago, Ian Vincent said:

It’s absurd that taxpayers money might be wasted on paying lawyers to argue the rights and wrongs of establishing ULEZ in some boroughs. A complete and utter waste of money. 

Rgds Ian

Just remind me, who is invoking m'learned friends?

1 hour ago, john.r.davies said:

Just remind me, who is invoking m'learned friends?

Apparently, according to the article Sue posted a link to, the bosses of Harrow Council are claiming to have a £400k fund available to fight a legal battle over the expansion of the ULEZ.

Rgds Ian

9 hours ago, john.r.davies said:

Ah!  Harrow Council has £400K they want to spaff up the wall that is m'learned friends' pockets?  Would that be the Tory-led Harrow Council?

And I thought politics was banned on this site John. :rolleyes:  But you right, it would be ridiculous bearing in mind that if he chooses to engage, labour‘s Lord Mayor would presumably be wasting an equivalent amount of money. 

Rgds Ian

Yes Ian under rule 5.11

That is why I started a reply with this 

One for the moderators.    This may not comply, if so please delete

Petition to Mayor of London regarding the ULEZ expansion.

2 hours ago, Ian Vincent said:

And I thought politics was banned on this site John. :rolleyes:  But you right, it would be ridiculous bearing in mind that if he chooses to engage, labour‘s Lord Mayor would presumably be wasting an equivalent amount of money. 

Rgds Ian

Gengis Khan is NOT the Lord Mayor of London, he is just the London Mayor. Two different people altogether ……..!!!!!!

8D599D75-FA6D-44E5-9151-CCF7209449E7.png

Edited by SuzanneH
3 hours ago, Ian Vincent said:

Rgds Ian

Ian,

I refer my honourable friend to the answers previously posted by; Peter W "The strategy is easy to follow.   .....  If this were Paris expect mass disobedience on the horizon.";   Yourself, "It’s absurd that taxpayers money might be wasted on paying lawyers .... A complete and utter waste of money." ;  and by our fragrant colleague SuzanneH, who started this hare.   And of course to Peter W's own post that preceded them all, in which - irony of ironies - he invoked the Moderators on himself for political thought!

If you don't want politics you shouldn't  mention them.

John

Edited by john.r.davies
7 minutes ago, john.r.davies said:

Ian,

I refer my honourable friend to the answers previously posted by; Peter W "The strategy is easy to follow.   .....  If this were Paris expect mass disobedience on the horizon.";   Yourself, "It’s absurd that taxpayers money might be wasted on paying lawyers .... A complete and utter waste of money." ;  and by our fragrant colleague SuzanneH, who started this hare.   And of course to Peter W's own post that preceded them all, in which - irony of ironies - he invoked the Moderators on himself for political thought!

John

The London Borough of Hillingdon has/had its own legal department and I would assume Harrow and the other two have also. 

6 minutes ago, SuzanneH said:

The London Borough of Hillingdon has/had its own legal department and I would assume Harrow and the other two have also. 

I'm sure they do, Suzeanne, a Borough would be negligent if it did not have a few  lawyers on its staff, and Local Government Officers are expected to have qualifications in the Law, or other relevant disciplines.   How is that relevant to this argument?

John

14 minutes ago, john.r.davies said:

I'm sure they do, Suzeanne, a Borough would be negligent if it did not have a few  lawyers on its staff, and Local Government Officers are expected to have qualifications in the Law, or other relevant disciplines.   How is that relevant to this argument?

John

It’s not an argument it’s a thread on emission zones. That’s how it’s related to ULEZ.

1 hour ago, john.r.davies said:

Ian,

John

John,

I assume your comment is tongue in cheek, as was my original response. (Maybe there needs to be an emoji for that?)

Rgds Ian

Hello all

Interesting as the politics might be, the original posting I made was because of a discrepancy between different websites relating to whether a TR was or wasn't exempt from ULEZ in London. There are many ULEZ zones springing up in different cities and so far classic cars are exempt. I believe that in the EU classic cars are also exempt but not that easy to follow the 'rules' on the continent because, for example, France seems to have its own sticker system. We also have cities like Oxford and Canterbury introducing so called 15 minute zones where you can't travel from one zone to another unless you go via a ring road. I assume this applies to classics but not sure if they are exempt or not. Maybe someone who lives in these cities can enlighten us all.

Because these emission zones are being set up piecemeal by different authorities there is a risk that some urban zones might not allow classic cars. I believe so far classics continue to be exempt. We need to stay aware of the way these restrictions are moving and read the small print. Unfortunately the media like to print headline 'warnings' about ULEZ and cars being banned but usually fail to add that classic cars and others are exempt. This only adds to the confusion.

Debate centred around the London Mayor and his politics is perhaps a separate topic for Alec's Inn.

Keith

Edited by keith1948
typo

It would be interesting to see what president khan plans to do about the air quality… pollution on the underground. No mention of the nano particles released by the steel on steel and steel on iron produced by the train wheels… not forgetting of course the barium released from the brake system, these nano particles breathed in easily pass to the brain via the blood system. There might even be an Ozone issue from the 700VDC electrical system.

ah but hang on that’s underground, out of sight out of mind!

Have you heard that the UnderGround employs "fluffers"?  The passage of the trains draws air, with dust and rubbish, into the tunnels, so they are needed to deal with it.  They have for many years

image.png.f4915f3e07e7006b4ae104f0215ed981.png

and still do.  Notably, the fluffers are still all-women!

image.png.5381f54d68ba84604bee9d6f848af4f5.png

Sad to say, it was a failure of management that did not direct the fluffers to the rubbish under the main escalator that led to the disastrous Kings Cross fire in 1987.  

I suspect that this aspect of pollution on the Underground is more important than traces of ozone!

John

2 hours ago, DaveN said:

It would be interesting to see what president khan plans to do about the air quality… pollution on the underground. No mention of the nano particles released by the steel on steel and steel on iron produced by the train wheels… not forgetting of course the barium released from the brake system, these nano particles breathed in easily pass to the brain via the blood system. There might even be an Ozone issue from the 700VDC electrical system.

Same people run that gaff as the road network above.   Namely TfL.  Transport for London….overseen by?  

2 hours ago, DaveN said:

Yep and what about all the Airports within the ULEZ Zone and also those that are just outside the Zone but are still London Airports like Stanstead, Gatwick and Luton.

As you know Dave, the pollution and particles from Heathrow, Northolt etc although better than it used to be is not going to go away and nor is all the traffic and cargo lorries associated with these airports. 

Edited by SuzanneH
46 minutes ago, SuzanneH said:

Yep and what about all the Airports within the ULEZ Zone

Good point that -  if your car is non-compliant and you park at Heathrow for a week while off on holiday, do you have to pay for each day you are inside the zone?   The cameras will register you entering but they won't see you exit again until you go home. 

Also you have to pay the charge within 3 days so how will that work?

Edited by RobH