Main Dealer charges - Sorry can you repeat that!

HI All

We use a Mercedes Vito van at work, and it needed the parking brake looking at and a couple of other things for MOT. So, we ran it down to our local Mercedes Commercial dealer in Eastbourne for a check over and estimate.

They emailed the estimate for diagnostic work, but on the estimate was a charge I have NEVER seen before. My reaction was %^&*))___^%"!!!!! and some!

I disputed the charge, refused to pay it and took the van out. Extortionists!

IMG_3595.JPG

Edited by boxofbits

No Hamish  -  it should be cheaper coming down as it's gravity assisted. B)

Would anyone be daft enough to pay that?   Presumably they just don't want the work. 

31 minutes ago, RobH said:

Would anyone be daft enough to pay that?   Presumably they just don't want the work. 

I was basing it on the garage attitude to billing.  £14 to go up and quote. 

quote refused ....

“oh so you want it off the ramp sir. That’s £20 then ......”

Commonly called T w a t  tax in the trade.

Mick Richards

37 minutes ago, RobH said:

HI Rob

I told them that they have lost out on the repairs and we wouldn't be buying another van from them. His response; ' Well I'm sure Mercedes will survive' !

Just now, boxofbits said:

HI Rob

I told them that they have lost out on the repairs and we wouldn't be buying another van from them. His response; ' Well I'm sure Mercedes will survive' !

You should pass that information and remarks on to Merc head office as they own the dealers now, oh and a national newspaper too.

Stuart.

Just thought you had best pay them or they won’t be able to retain their drivers like Lewis 

Edited by Hamish
1 hour ago, harrytr5 said:

I had a problem with Mercedes a few years ago and sold the merc straight after that episode. Will never buy another.

Regards Harry

+1

We bought a new E class and had silly little issues from day one, Mercedes dealer was truly awful! Never again

George 

My short two year experience with an SLK200 was a little different. I bought it with only 11 000kms and 4 years old, from a MB dealer. Fortunately with 3 years warranty. 
First incident was the engine motherboard blew up on a mountainside in Slovenia, excellent assistance if slow from Mercedes europe and in particular their dealer in Llubjana who was really good.

Second incident was also electronic, one of the sensors for the ABS gave up and thus I had no abs, no cruise and a few other things besides. Good service if a grouchy welcome from the dealer in Obernai, Alsace

No cost to me for these incidents fortunately, only inconvenience.

Sold it last autumn after 2 years and 23 000kms. Great car, less room in it than my 3A, but no thanks no more. I’ll stick with Beamers which I’ve had for some 29 years

james

I had similar issue to George, with a C class which I owned for about 10 years. To be fair you know how much you are being ripped off when the purchase price includes you flying to Bremen, plus hotel bill, to pick it up from the factory.  Main-dealer extortionate prices are a given. - after all someone has to pay for all that swish ambience.  

Once it was out of warranty I went to an independent place instead -  who managed to leave a rad hose loose after a service.  Second indie was OK though..... 

3 minutes ago, RobH said:

I had similar issue to George, with a C class which I owned for about 10 years. To be fair you know how much you are being ripped off when the purchase price includes you flying to Bremen, plus hotel bill, to pick it up from the factory.  Main-dealer extortionate prices are a given. - after all someone has to pay for all that swish ambience.  

Once it was out of warranty I went to an independent place instead -  who managed to leave a rad hose loose after a service.  Second indie was OK though..... 

Agree Rob and as someone alluded to earlier you don’t get onto a Formula 1 grid with a handful of shirt buttons.

But MD prices are being elevated to extortion rather than just dearer than Joe’s garage, and all the time we keep calling in they’ll continue to rip us off ! Of course we are also funding their opulent image and ever more expensive PR machine. I have similar issues with my Zafira Tourer Main Dealer and I’m thinking it’s about time my 4a became my daily! 

Kevin

20 hours ago, harrytr5 said:

I had a problem with Mercedes a few years ago and sold the merc straight after that episode. Will never buy another.

Regards Harry

I had to take Mercedes to the small claims court to persuade them to replace a faulty steering rack on my e class estate. I still have the car because it’s a nice car to drive and does everything I need but I don’t use them for servicing and am unlikely to buy another.

Rgds Ian

16 hours ago, james christie said:

My short two year experience with an SLK200 was a little different. I bought it with only 11 000kms and 4 years old, from a MB dealer. Fortunately with 3 years warranty. 
First incident was the engine motherboard blew up on a mountainside in Slovenia, excellent assistance if slow from Mercedes europe and in particular their dealer in Llubjana who was really good.

Second incident was also electronic, one of the sensors for the ABS gave up and thus I had no abs, no cruise and a few other things besides. Good service if a grouchy welcome from the dealer in Obernai, Alsace

No cost to me for these incidents fortunately, only inconvenience.

Sold it last autumn after 2 years and 23 000kms. Great car, less room in it than my 3A, but no thanks no more. I’ll stick with Beamers which I’ve had for some 29 years

james

But BMW ELECTRICS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4 visits during my ownership and each £1000 plus

On the subject of main dealers, I have friend with a Beamer and they aren’t much better. He used to get cross every time he went near the place, “Too many popsies” (his words) sitting around in reception just increasing the overhead.

The car is out of warranty now so he uses a local Indy.

Rgds Ian

1 hour ago, roy53 said:

But BMW ELECTRICS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4 visits during my ownership and each £1000 plus

Strangely enough I’ve not had a problem there yet.
However I was subject to the well known 4 cyl diesel timing chain and case problem on an X3 series 1 some 10 years ago and later a gearbox electrovalve(no drive), made by ZF,  problem on a series 11. Both cars had well over 100 000km and were put right at no expense to me. Like all manufacturers, BMW are not without their problems but manage to keep a lid on most of them.
In my case I know that as a customer of nearly 30 years, I was looked after very well.

james

Edited by james christie
22 hours ago, stuart said:

You should pass that information and remarks on to Merc head office as they own the dealers now, oh and a national newspaper too.

Stuart.

I agree with this, perhaps write two letter to Honest John or any well known business review media site and to the motor ombudsman, Making sure the name of the garage is prominent, enclose estimate, together with any other correspondence received and refer to the employees comments to you.  

State why you feel the service offered was poor and why you feel the cost of raising and lowering a car on a lift to complete a simple task is excessive. Question if this is a common practice to make such a charge throughout the industry or Mercedes main dealer outlets in particular. Ask it they condone such charges. 

Then send a copies of your letters to the Garage senior management and Mercedes head office, and ask if they have any comments before you submit your letters. Provide contact details and await response,

I bought a new Citroen Relay a couple of weeks ago and was pleased to hear that I could get it serviced at any garage that was vat registered without compromising the warranty.

I don't know if this is typical for commercial  vehicles but certainly a step in the right direction 

George 

Not warranty, but, a good example of OEM costs

I have a 2004 SL500

I love driving the thing and to hell with the cost of fuel

Insurance is cheap at £280/yr

Road tax . . . . . .grrrr

I needed a new seal around the "high level" brake light on the boot lid.  The existing one was torn and flapping.

Took the car to my regular local garage.

The lady owner of the business rang me to say the seal is not available . . . I have to buy a complete light assembly for a MB list price that she said she "couldn't believe, even for MB"; £85 +VAT.

She sold it to me for £64 +VAT