Jump to content
JJohn

ETHANOL FREE FUEL

Recommended Posts

In Holland, the pumps have a label like e5. No label means no ethanol. Is this not the case in the UK?

Waldi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Spit_2.5PI said:

Chris, but does the "app" tell you if the Synergie Supreme+ in each filling station is ethanol free, as per Jim's list?

Cheers, Richard

Hi Richard,

According to Esso’s website they say there is no ethanol in Synergie Supreme+ except in parts of Devon, Cornwall, Teeside and Scotland as per the extract below:

 

“The majority of unleaded 95 Octane petrol sold in the UK contains up to 5% ethanol as required under the Government’s Renewable Transport Fuels Obligation (RTFO).

There is currently no requirement for renewable fuel (such as ethanol) to be present in super unleaded (97 grade petrol).

Esso super unleaded petrol (Synergy Supreme+ Unleaded 97) is ethanol free (except in Devon, Cornwall, the Teesside area and Scotland). We would therefore advise anyone who has concerns about the presence of ethanol in petrol to use Synergy Supreme+ – providing they do not fill up in Devon or Cornwall, the Teesside area or Scotland.”

So, apart from the areas mentioned you should be able to get ethanol free petrol on the sites listed on the app - provided they are telling the truth of course !

Chris

 

 

 


 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Chris. Jim seems to have been sent a precise list, rather than "anywhere except Cornwall, bits of Devon, Teeside and Scotland" and I wondered if your app did the same ...

Cheers, Richard

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3 August 2019 at 5:28 PM, cjstoodley said:

Hi Richard,

According to Esso’s website they say there is no ethanol in Synergie Supreme+ except in parts of Devon, Cornwall, Teeside and Scotland as per the extract below:

 

“The majority of unleaded 95 Octane petrol sold in the UK contains up to 5% ethanol as required under the Government’s Renewable Transport Fuels Obligation (RTFO).

There is currently no requirement for renewable fuel (such as ethanol) to be present in super unleaded (97 grade petrol).

Esso super unleaded petrol (Synergy Supreme+ Unleaded 97) is ethanol free (except in Devon, Cornwall, the Teesside area and Scotland). We would therefore advise anyone who has concerns about the presence of ethanol in petrol to use Synergy Supreme+ – providing they do not fill up in Devon or Cornwall, the Teesside area or Scotland.”

So, apart from the areas mentioned you should be able to get ethanol free petrol on the sites listed on the app - provided they are telling the truth of course !

Chris

 

 

 


 

Stopped at an Esso garage near Cirencester yesterday & all the petrol pumps including the Synergy 97 were marked E5! First time I have noticed this marking in UK & I can assure you that Cirencester is nowhere near Devon, Cornwall, Teeside or Scotland! I think Esso's attitude regarding not putting out a list online smacks of misleading information! Wouldn't believe a word they say! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, iain said:

It would appear that all pumps will be marked as of Sept this year. E5 or E10 or for Diesel b7. 

Iain

We have that for some time here.

Waldi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, iain said:

It would appear that all pumps will be marked as of Sept this year. E5 or E10 or for Diesel b7. 

Prepare for an end of summer rush on demijohns at Wilko's! :D

Cheers, Deggers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/22/2019 at 3:54 PM, JJohn said:

Once again, I am asking for your assistance.  A posting I saw recently on this section informed us that Esso Synergie Supreme+ is free of the dreaded ethanol.  It also reported that this did not apply in Devon, Cornwall, Teesside & Scotland.  Having suffered damage to the seals in a metering unit and internal collapse of flexible fuel lines, I contacted ESSO filling stations in North Yorkshire. All are supplied from Teesside.  ESSO head office was the next call.  I have now phoned twice but no help has been forthcoming.  How difficult can it be to send a text, email or make a 2 min phone call to tell me where the nearest station with ethanol-free fuel is located?  Web searches have proved negative.  Can the TR Forum guys offer any guidance?

I am in North Yorks, 17 miles north of York and am prepared to travel into West or East Yorks to collect.  

I see that 10% of this chemical will soon be finding its way into our fuel.  The politician (I prefer the description "hypocrite") announcing this change said that vehicles built before the year 2000 should not be affected.  All the damage to my TR6's resulted from using fuel with only 5% ethanol.  I have always used an additive claiming to protect against this problem, along with seals and flexible fuel lines, all of which claimed to be ethanol tolerant.

Jim

Hi Jim

Have a chat to your local Esso garage (if you have one and see where the fuel comes from) If it has come from one of their  own terminals( Hythe  Avonmouth , Birmingham, West London Purfleet) then it will be ethanol free in their synergy supreme ) ie their super unleaded 97 all there UL95 has 5% ethanol in. If the fuel has come from anon Esso terminal then It may have Ethanol in.

Once we go to 10% in UK95 I believe the UL97 will contain 5% This is little way off but it is comming 

Feel free to drop me a PM  and I can discuss more :0)

 

 

Edited by Clarkey
spelling correction

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

deleted 

 

Edited by Clarkey
duplicate post

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/3/2019 at 5:28 PM, cjstoodley said:

Hi Richard,

According to Esso’s website they say there is no ethanol in Synergie Supreme+ except in parts of Devon, Cornwall, Teeside and Scotland as per the extract below:

 

“The majority of unleaded 95 Octane petrol sold in the UK contains up to 5% ethanol as required under the Government’s Renewable Transport Fuels Obligation (RTFO).

There is currently no requirement for renewable fuel (such as ethanol) to be present in super unleaded (97 grade petrol).

Esso super unleaded petrol (Synergy Supreme+ Unleaded 97) is ethanol free (except in Devon, Cornwall, the Teesside area and Scotland). We would therefore advise anyone who has concerns about the presence of ethanol in petrol to use Synergy Supreme+ – providing they do not fill up in Devon or Cornwall, the Teesside area or Scotland.”

So, apart from the areas mentioned you should be able to get ethanol free petrol on the sites listed on the app - provided they are telling the truth of course !

Chris

 

 

 


 

Chris 

They are not lying this is indeed correct :0)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/31/2019 at 10:38 AM, RogerH said:

My local ESSO station in the Heathrow area (West London) has an E5 sticker on all petrol pumps - I wonder what is inside !!

 

Roger

Roger 

UL95 yes UL 97 no ;0)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/5/2019 at 6:29 PM, Deggers said:

Prepare for an end of summer rush on demijohns at Wilko's! :D

Cheers, Deggers

Deggers 

B7 in diesel refers to the F.A.M.E content (A mixture of different fatty acid methyl esters is commonly referred to as biodiesel, which is a renewable alternative fuel. FAME has physical properties similar to those of conventional diesel. )

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Clarkey said:

Chris 

They are not lying this is indeed correct :0)

They are lying with regard to Cirencester area! See my previous post on August 4th! Esso Synergy 97 labelled E5!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ethanol is evil stuff in old cars and causing many car’s to go up in flames. 

Ive had new rubber fuel line crack up within 2 years  you should replace any rubber lines with the correct latest hose capable of withstanding this evil stuff 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, lee said:

Ethanol is evil stuff in old cars and causing many car’s to go up in flames. 

Ive had new rubber fuel line crack up within 2 years  you should replace any rubber lines with the correct latest hose capable of withstanding this evil stuff 

 

 

Exactly Lee.

Before I did look into this subject a bit more in depth I ordered fuel hose from a UK supplier for my TR. When it arrived it had some markings, which is positive I thought, and it stated it was “suitable for unleaded fuel”, so I thought it was a “good” hose. Well, as long as it does not contain any ethanol this may be true. The reference to “unleaded fuel” is of little (no) value however. Knowing what I know now, it is more a marketing phrase, similar to “Grand Vin” on a bottle of whine which also means nothing.

A fuel hose for ethanol containing fuel, which is the standard in several countries already, should be suitable for that. Ethanol attacks the normal rubber grades and permeates through the wall at a much higher rate. Result: stink and early failure of the hose.

Moss sells a Gates hose for low pressure applications that meets these more stringent requirements. It is not suitable for the 105 psi system of PI cars.

Not all Gates hoses meet these requirements, and these are other manufacturers too with suitable hoses. I have no connections with Gates, but am happy with their hoses.

Regards,

Waldi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/16/2019 at 7:06 PM, monty said:

They are lying with regard to Cirencester area! See my previous post on August 4th! Esso Synergy 97 labelled E5!

Monty 

They are not lying and neither am I!!!!!

you will find that they will put E5 on all the Unleaded grades, this will be to cover them in the event that they have to pick up from another (non Esso Terminal) in the vent of supply Issues from their  regular terminals, Oil companies some times do exchange deals so it may be from time to time the service station gets a delivery from say a BP or Shell ect.Terminal

I have had the conversation with them about advertising the fact that their  UL97 is Ethanol free that has come out of one of there Terminals, but as they can not 100% Guarantee  the fact as stated from above they will not do this, this will be down to the fact that they could then be taken to account if they had taken delivery from a NON ESSO Terminal ( in this now crazy blame culture we live in) I understand why. Hence the reason for not publishing the list that we all would indeed find helpful 

I hope this makes things little clearer 

 

Edited by Clarkey
adding to content

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Clarkey said:

Monty 

They are not lying and neither am I!!!!!

you will find that they will put E5 on all the Unleaded grades, this will be to cover them in the event that they have to pick up from another (non Esso Terminal) in the vent of supply Issues from their  regular terminals, Oil companies some times do exchange deals so it may be from time to time the service station gets a delivery from say a BP or Shell ect.Terminal

I have had the conversation with them about advertising the fact that their  UL97 is Ethanol free that has come out of one of there Terminals, but as they can not 100% Guarantee  the fact as stated from above they will not do this, this will be down to the fact that they could then be taken to account if they had taken delivery from a NON ESSO Terminal ( in this now crazy blame culture we live in) I understand why. Hence the reason for not publishing the list that we all would indeed find helpful 

I hope this makes things little clearer 

 

So they are just misleading their customers! The previously quoted Esso website stated that Synergy Supreme 97 contains no ethanol unless it is obtained in Devon, Cornwall, Teeside or Scotland. In Cirencester that Supreme 97 is marked E5. To me that is confusing & misleading! Sorry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hardly misleading 

I thought my post was easy to understand 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Clarkey said:

Hardly misleading 

I thought my post was easy to understand 

It was I did try to tell them but there you go:lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Tom,

see my post above.

Moss sell some, but not for the high pressure PI system.

Regards,

Waldi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How about Jet, Below is copied from the Jet Website :—

https://www.jetlocal.co.uk/jet-fuels/

Does JET ULTRA Premium Unleaded contain ethanol?

Under the UK Government Renewable Transport Fuels Obligation (known as RTFO), fuel producers have a legal requirement to use a certain percentage of renewable fuels. In petrol, this is normally ethanol, which may be derived from a variety of renewable feedstocks. Petrol with a 95 RON (like our Regular JET petrol) contains up to 5% ethanol. JET ULTRA Premium Unleaded, with its minimum 97 RON, is ethanol-free unless filling up in the Yorkshire and Humber Region, Teesside area or Scotland, where it contains 5% ethanol.

Only problem is not all Jet stations sell Ultra.

Chris

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Fireman049 said:

Where do we get Ethanol resistant rubber hose etc.??

Tom.

Tom

lots of places out there. 

This is one source 

https://www.carbuildersolutions.com/uk/ethanol-proof-fuel-hose-8mm-516?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI5t2njaWS5AIVAbDtCh1DGQE3EAQYASABEgK-lPD_BwE

 

H

ps

i suggest if it’s for a pressure system you go for the ptfe  / Teflon braid 

Edited by Hamish

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for that Chris, will search out Jet Ultra unless I visit Yorkshire & Humber, Teeside or Scotland in the TR, all of which are unlikely. I am avoiding Esso in Gloucestershire as the 97 Synergy stuff is marked E5 already. Cheers.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Please familiarise yourself with our Terms and Conditions. By using this site, you agree to the following: Terms of Use.