MOT with a difference

Hi Folks,

on Tuesday of this week I took the TR4 BlueRacer for an MOT.

When I got there there were three cars already in the queue. This is apprx 2 - 3 hour wait.

So I came home.

The following day, Wednesday, I got up early and was first in the queue. I drove up to the bay and was greeted by my man

who told me they couldn;t do MOT's that day as they didn;t have an MOT engineer.

They have recently been using a contract man.

So I got up early Thursday and got there before the crack of noon. Lo and behold there was a car already in the queue.

Sadly things hadn't changed much. Still no contract MOT man and the resident chap was busy repairing cars.

My man said if I leave it it will get done sometime during the day. So I left it.

About 2pm the phone rings - the car had failed - Hmmmm. The man had sorted a couple of small items but the failure was front brake pipes touching the suspension gear on full lock on both sides.

Now the car has had three previous MOT's whilst undergoing its rebuild.

The first MOT I drove 8 miles (there and back twice to help bed the brakes in)

The next two MOT's did 4 miles each - so we are up to 16 miles in three years

This year they find the pipes are touching - what is going on.

Anyway an easy fix.

So I take it back this morning at apprx 8am and have to leave it again at 12pm I get a phone call to say all is good come and get it.

what a palaver.

Sadly the proprietor is selling up and things are running down slightly. Big shame as they have been very good over the years.

Roger

Hi Roger

You need to get you car(s) done over here.

Last time I had the previous daily driver done before selling it, I took it to the usual place I go to. Same withered man in a white coat, same near-wordless interaction as every year. It was a car I liked very much and one that I lavished occasional attention on and one which I was reluctant to change. Hence it was the fifth year that it had been to the see the little man in the white coat.

But on this occasion, he noticed the rectangular 'quattro' badge on the grille. "Sorry, mate," he says (in Polish - I paraphrase) "we don't have the right rolling road to test four wheel drive vehicles"

"But you've done it every year so far"

"Impossible. Let me see the vehicle document," which was, fortunately, resplendent with impressive stamps from his establishment and his very own signature.

Checkmate. "Come with me" he instructs. Which I did. And, lest he damage his precious equipment with a four wheel drive car, he stamped my document and handed it back to me without further inspection.

99zl for an MOT with a humorous anecdote thrown in for free.

Paul

Roger, I don't understand...Are you telling your fellow outlanders that you can't make appointment for a UK MOT? Like a fixed time where you're allowed to lodge a complain if they fail to inspect your car within your assigned time slot?

That does indeed sound like a palaver. I think pretty much every garage around my way allows you to book an MOT slot, so that you turn up on time and get seen there and then. Seems like it's time for you to find a new establishment Roger, or maybe it's the excuse you need to get out of the smoke and come out to the sticks.

Back in the early 80s when I first started driving, I used to go to a local village garage owned by a chap called "Maziac", or something very close to that, who I was led to believe was Polish. I probably went to him 10 years on the trot and in all that time we hardly exchanged a word. I put it down to his lack of English, but from what you say Paul, it might just be MOT men from that neck of the woods. Despite never getting to know him, I always liked him and his approach. Then, sometime in the late 90s he sold up (or perhaps passed away) and his little garage was taken over by two lads who I suppose were in their 30s. They were both very well spoken, with lots of chat ... the old garage had become rather slick. I was surprised to find Maziac gone, but as I needed to an MOT quick on the girlfriend's car I asked them to do it. Now, as you all know, I'm not the most technically minded person you'll ever meet, but I have a reasonably good idea of the overall condition of a car, so I was pretty shocked when these two lads found work of about £450. I promptly said "bugger off" and found another garage for a second opinion. Second garage also failed the car, but it was on a couple of small things and cost about £50 to put right if memory serves me correctly.

Since then I've never trusted a slick, well spoken mechanic . . . a valuable lesson.

Here in the West Country I've followed the same routine for the past 25 years.

Ring Jeff, book a slot, turn up quarter of an hour early and brew up - and catch up with all the news that isn't fit to print . . . . .

The we both look over the car, two pairs of eyes neatly enables coverage of all those little things that perhaps ought to be on the MoT schedule but aren't. Invariably we find something or other that needs a tweak or a replacement. Jeff is the most thorough tester I've ever dealt with, only once in a blue moon he misses something. Exactly what you need. And he loves classics.

OK, FAIL, nip next door onto a workshop ramp and either I'll shoot home in a courtesy car (50 mile door handle round trip) for the part which is probably on my shelf, or if we're lucky the factors will have one and drop it down within the hour (they're good like that, but we treat them well !).

One of the mechanics and I will then sort the problem/s together, back into the MoT bay, PASS.

Time for another brew - that's my job of course, the customer makes the tea.

£40 MoT trade price, £50 inc vat workshop labour and it's a very efficient hour too, they don't muck about.

Living in rural Wiltshire does have some bonus points.

Cheers,

Alec

I just book in with the local MOTest.... book a timeslot online, pitch up 10 mins early and usually done within the hour.... TR or modern no probs

..... Andy

I have been using the same guy since my car has been back on the road about 5 years and both times I have had to show him how the handbrake works and the location of the dip switch. At its first visit after I had finished the restoration I took it with the headlight rims removed and we spent 15 minutes sorting out the headlights. He still swears that my car has been narrowed as it only just fits over his pit

Alan

For some 20 years, I've been using the same garage some 6 miles distant in a hamlet on top of the Chilterns.

Ring up, book appointment, drive in and I sit in the car and do what I am told - push this, pull that, wiggle this, operate all the electrical bits and (manual) screen wash.

The proprietor, I guess in his 50s, is very pleasant and business-like, and VERY thorough, which is what I want.

I was early on one occasion and saw how he dealt with the owner of a van which had no handbrake (yes, really - the garage man had to use a brick to stop it running away!) and very serious rusting. That heap was not going anywhere unless and until it was roadworthy.

Ian Cornish

Blush!

Our "state", ACT, swapped from an annual over the pits check, to just one for the first time registered here (new, or moved from another state).

Supposedly random roadside checks (never had one) will make us all keep the car in a safe condition. Renewing the registration annually is a paper or web based exercise.

Those who get their cars serviced regularly will presumably have cars that are in good nick, those struggling to keep up with rising rates, heating costs, etc may be tempted to to put servicing the car into the optional expenses category. See plenty on the road with non working tail or brake lights, so I suspect our system has a few holes in it.

Other states farm out the checks to registered mechanics.

The TR4A had a check when I brought it here from interstate. During the dismantle and refurb I kept paying for the historic rego, and put it back on the road without any one else checking it.

Edited by littlejim

Different states, different customs. Here in France the MOT stations are independent entities so we don't get the "it needs 450€ of repairs" shenanagans. I find it reassuring to have a further pair of eyes look over the car annually. As in the rest of Europe they are no longer obligatory for our cars -absurdly.

James

Here in the West Country I've followed the same routine for the past 25 years.

Ring Jeff, book a slot, turn up quarter of an hour early and brew up - and catch up with all the news that isn't fit to print . . . . .

The we both look over the car, two pairs of eyes neatly enables coverage of all those little things that perhaps ought to be on the MoT schedule but aren't. Invariably we find something or other that needs a tweak or a replacement. Jeff is the most thorough tester I've ever dealt with, only once in a blue moon he misses something. Exactly what you need. And he loves classics.

OK, FAIL, nip next door onto a workshop ramp and either I'll shoot home in a courtesy car (50 mile door handle round trip) for the part which is probably on my shelf, or if we're lucky the factors will have one and drop it down within the hour (they're good like that, but we treat them well !).

One of the mechanics and I will then sort the problem/s together, back into the MoT bay, PASS.

Time for another brew - that's my job of course, the customer makes the tea.

£40 MoT trade price, £50 inc vat workshop labour and it's a very efficient hour too, they don't muck about.

Living in rural Wiltshire does have some bonus points.

Cheers,

Alec

Yes Alec, a very similar situation here in rural Gloucestershire @ my man a mile up the round. No tea but sensible classic car attitude!

For my non classic cars I just tell my next door neighbour but one, & he tells me when it can be done, He will then on the day collect the keys, take it to his garage, get the MOT done, & return it that evening. And I get a discount !

For the TR I take it along, & help the tester as required.

So far no remedial work has been needed on any of them, but if it was needed they would just give me the choice of take it away, fix, & free re-test, or get them to do whatever was needed.

Bob.

Just a point on brake testing, cars that can not be tested using a roller

brake tester ie. four wheel drive or L.S.D. for example are brake tested

using a decelerometer on a designated road near the test station.

Harvey S.Maitland

Bring it down to Chertsey Roger!

The local garage loves my TR and would welcome another.

Never any bother with the mot, eg when i fitted new headlamps and didnt adjust them, 'we spotted that' they said, no charge.

Steve

Just a point on brake testing, cars that can not be tested using a rollerbrake tester ie. four wheel drive or L.S.D. for example are brake testedusing a decelerometer on a designated road near the test station.Harvey S.Maitland

When we did MOT's in the '70's we used to use a guage driven by deceleration force in the footwell of the car. 9 times out of 10 the guage would actually topple over under heavy braking ( that was definitely a pass btw) , though I still believe there is nothing like a practical 'on road' test for braking, as at times it can highlight so many other faults or particular quirks in a car's behaviour that otherwise cannot be seen.

Kevin

Blimey Steve, Chertsey is nearly half way to the coast. The TR4 has only ever done 2 mile stints each way.

Roger

You('re car) need(s) to get out more Roger !

Steve

Argyll & Bute has much in common with rural Wiltshire (not something you don't hear often). I phone the mot station and they ask me when it would be convenient and we arrange a mutual time. I arrive, make coffee and we have a moan about the dvla and the test is completed in old school fashion that is thorough but not stupid, they know that old cars have a bit of play in the wheel bearings etc. If I have a four wheel drive they use a Tapley meter. Simple. Of course this takes longer than a busy city garage but that's life in the country for you.

Cheers

Richard