Gents

Late Uk spec. TR6 riding on 195/65 15 tyres

What should the clearance be between the chassis front crossmember and planet earth? I even struggle to get my 'racing' jack under there.

Dave

Dave,

I dont use that as as a jacking point, I think its thinner steel than the main rails. I jack each side in turn at the junction between the inner and outer main rails, to the rear of the front wheels.

Peter

Mine is the same Dave, alloy 'racing' jack fouls on the forward crossmember before the lifting head reaches the main crossmember.

Rings a bell in the little grey cells! If I recall it was only an irritatingly small lack of clearance for my trolley jack (which lived in the boot) with a short length of plank which was used to drive the wheel on to to gain that extra 1.5". Didn't solve the problem if you wanted to lift the whole front up - the plank wasn't that long! :wacko:

Aha not just me then!

I use the scissor jack with a bit of wood on top under the forward side rail, then use the racing jack.... again with wood on the top under the front crossmember!

Interesting comment there Peter, however the PO's had obviously been lifting it there in the past.

I was being lazy because I took the front wheels off to balance them.

Isn't It a small world, I had the same problem this afternoon, carved a small nick in the "lane" outside my house, hoofing great tractors are squishing the the single track and leaving a bit of a hump in the road.I found the hump this afternoon to the detriment of one of the little square thingies that hang from the front chasiss legs.

have pumped up the front tyres to 28psi to get just a little more air draft. never really thought too much about ground clearance before, I would love to know what clearance other TR4a's have. Though having read others posts re jacking I can only think that my car is "normal".

+1 for driving up on to short planks to get the jack under

David

Dave,

I dont use that as as a jacking point, I think its thinner steel than the main rails. I jack each side in turn at the junction between the inner and outer main rails, to the rear of the front wheels.

Peter

The TR4/4A WSM recommends using the front cross-member. Is the TR6 chassis material thinner than TR4A? I've always used the cross-member on TR3A and TR4A and never had a problem, although I do use a short piece of wood between jack and chassi to spread the load.

The TR4/4A WSM recommends using the front cross-member. Is the TR6 chassis material thinner than TR4A? I've always used the cross-member on TR3A and TR4A and never had a problem, although I do use a short piece of wood between jack and chassi to spread the load.

Brian,

Dont know thickness for sure, but it was already distorted when I bought it in '78....so I avoid making it worse.

Jack wont fit anyway - 41/4 inch clearance...so I run front wheels onto short lengths of timber.

Peter

Come on then Neil please. What should the clearance be?

Certainly from my point, it only got me thinking about it as I ragged the car round the slip road off junction 6 of the m4, right on the 'edge' so to speak!......oh what fun!!

The only thing I can think off besides settled springs is the tyre profile, but there's only about 0.5 ins difference between the profile diameters of all the tyres recommended.

Dave

Come on then Neil please. What should the clearance be?

Certainly from my point, it only got me thinking about it as I ragged the car round the slip road off junction 6 of the m4, right on the 'edge' so to speak!......oh what fun!!

The only thing I can think off besides settled springs is the tyre profile, but there's only about 0.5 ins difference between the profile diameters of all the tyres recommended.

Dave

Dave, As the springs/ride height are an unknown quantity you might find the rear suspension bottoming in fast and tight cornering. When that happens all the cornering force goes through that one tyre....and the spin is sudden and uncatchable. Peter

Peter

I have rebuilt the rear end completely, the springs are slightly uprated and the leverarms I flushed out and filled with Penrite no. 2 oil. I also tweaked the return valve a bit too. (And amazingly for 40+ year old shockers they don't leak at all. Mr Armstrong got that right!).

Clearance is a problem for most trolley jacks.

A word of warning - if using the front cross member to jack up the car, make sure that the 'head' of the jack cannot slip, especially if the cross member has become oily in this area. Ask me how I know.........

I made up a H shaped steel bracket that fits the cross member and the head of the jack, and to obtain clearance have 4 lengths of scaffold board on the garage floor which I drive onto when putting the car away.

Mike

To gain a little clearance prior to jacking, reverse quick and stand on the brakes, the weight transference will pull the front suspension up a bit which is usually enough to make the difference.

Stuart.

Peter

I have rebuilt the rear end completely, the springs are slightly uprated and the leverarms I flushed out and filled with Penrite no. 2 oil. I also tweaked the return valve a bit too. (And amazingly for 40+ year old shockers they don't leak at all. Mr Armstrong got that right!).

That should be OK.

Its lowered but not very stiff rear springs that can cause a spin. I made that mistake that and had a 70mph 360 on a track day. Ground clearance was 4 1/4 inches....

Peter

Thanks Alec. It's a new (ish) chassis so possibly the springs gave settled. Either way I'm happy with the handling.

Dave

If I followed Stuart's tip for lifting the front, I would be through my garage doors...............................

:rolleyes:

It was meant as an "On the road" assistance! ;)

Stuart.

• 9 months later...

Seems like ground clearance is a general issue from this. My suspension had been lowered when I bought my car, and apart from the jack not getting under, the exhaust manifold has been squashed, I'm guessing due to grounding out at speed, and the sump has numerous dents. While the handling was great on a smooth road, we don't have many of those, and it was also not great on speed bumps.

As I'm now rebuilding the car I'm considering changing the springs, and possibly even going for the Moss "uprated road/rally 390lb springs" (https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/shop-by-model/triumph/tr5-6/steering-suspension).

Has anyone used these? It says they have a "slight raise in ride height", but not sure how this will translate in terms of how the car will look and handle, so any insights would be much appreciated before I make a decision.

Thanks!

Parry

OE spec chassis dimension ground clearance was 6 inches . . . . .

That's going to be interesting in this years SHCC championship, as for Roadgoing class there is a requirement for original ground clearance (less allowance for tyre size.

I wonder who's going to be bringing along a few blocks of carefully sized wood?

Alan