Erroneous readings on Temp and Fuel level indicators

Checking the "stabiliser".

This device doesn't do what it says on the tin, as its function is to turn the volts off and on again repeatedly. The clever bit is that it does this in a way that averages 10V, while the heavily damped gauges don't notice the Off/On.

A faulty stabiliser looks just as good as one that works, but a multimeter - £10 or less - will show the On/Off output. Cycle should be about a second or less. An under reading gauge might be seeing a slower cycle.

John

Edited by john.r.davies

Hi Folks,

to add to Johns post above. I pinched this from another forum and it is apprx correct.

General Operation. The volts, fuel, and temp gauges all operate on the same basic principle: an electric current flows through resistance wire inside the gauge. This current causes heating of the resistance wire, which is wrapped around a bimetallic strip. This strip bends in response to the heating. The gauge's pointer is attached to the strip and the more the strip is heated, the more the pointer deflects. The response time of these gauges to a change in the current is typically about 3 to 10 seconds.

So we have a stabilizer/regulator that is clicking on and off to give apprx 10V. And we have a gauge that is clicking on and off to give the value required. - ooops!!! not clicking but simply bending (thanks John)

All very ancient but very clever.

Why have a voltage regulator?

when running the car electrics are only apprx 12V (upto 13.4ish). Any gauge using these volts will vary - not good.

So the normal 12V is reduced to 10V. In the pre 70's world reducing stable volts was not simple - and would be an expense.

The Smiths/Lucas regulator is cheap and functional AND long lasting.

Now a days we use semiconductors - steady 10V at the output.

Why have Gauges with bi-metal bits and pieces that operate slowly when other gauges can move quickly.

With our simple cars if the fuel sloshed about, the tank sensor would be bobbing up and down. This would make a sensitive gauge bob up and down.

The beauty of the bi-metal gauge is that it takes time to adjust to the new contents - so you have a stable and possibly an accurate reading.

Smiths/Lucas were very good at what they did.

Roger

Edited by RogerH

You slightly miswrote yourself, Roger, as the gauge isnt going On/Off, but heating the bimetallic proportionally to the current permitted by the sensor, and thus reading the level sensed, of fuel or temperature.

But you knew that!

John

In the sidescreen TRs, the tank gauge does bob up and down when the car is on the move, which (I imagine) is why the change was made for TR4 onwards.

Ian Cornish

If you fit a repro 10 volt solid state stabiliser be careful not to accidentally short the 10 volt, gauge, wire down to earth because on some a series transistor will burn out.

The circuit uses a zener diode controlling a series transistor with no short circuit protection, cir cur late 1960's.

I have heard of some using a regulator chip with short circuit protection. However, as there is no way of knowing what you are buying be careful fitting the unit.

Dave

Edited by DaveR

Hi Ian,

the early cars didn't have the 10V regulator and probably had a moving iron gauge that responds quickly.

Roger

Balancing coil is the term iirc. Edited by peejay4A

Both right.

Two coils - one providing a constant pull one way, & and a second which provides a variable pull the other

they are pulling (or pushing) a small piece of iron attached to the needle.

Used on fuel gauge only on our sidescreen cars.

Bob.

If you go for the solid state version it is a good idea to have 2 - one for each gauge. I can't remember where I read this, but it is deemed more reliable. I now have 2

Deemed by whom? That makes no sense at all IMHO.

A single properly-designed semiconductor regulator will be perfectly reliable driving both gauges. Its not as if the load is complex.

Hi Mal,

the solid state regulator is easily happy with 1 amp - more than enough.

What I have a concern with is that in normal electronic circuits the regulator would have a capacitor at the input and output of it and on the car it is not there.

This could kill the reg a little soon.

Roger

I no no if the TR gauges are fed by same sort of fuse as a GT

butt, some times, there is a dodgey contact in fuse box

the spades get slack / corroded, this give intermittant faults, just like yer describing

this used to happen to my gauges run of the OE fuse

symptom here was though, gauges would go doon, an then up a wee bit,,

butt, moer doonwards than upwards, till fuse / holder / spade,self sorted, !!!

generally a bump / pot hole would be enuff, failing that, a wiggle and a turn of fuse init odder, would work

So, check yer fuse an its contacts too.

M

Edited by GT6M