Erroneous readings on Temp and Fuel level indicators

Marcus is right. Those glass fuses can also go high resistance or open circuit within the glass tube so they look sound but are anything but. I chased that particular fault all over Tywyn.

It was in a similar thread in 2012.

I had a single solid state that had failed then. Since having one for each - no probs. Well only prob is quality of temp senders but that's another story

Edited by 4Mal

I have a solid state reg for the fuel/temp and its been reliable for 4 years.

I did notice that with 'everything' turned on ( lights,wipers,heater) both fuel and temp readings would drop.

Investigation showed that the alternator could not hold the voltage up adequately under these contituons, it was dropping to about 12 v.

New alternator cured the problem, with reliable 13+ volts (after initial higher reading to replenish battery after starting)

I concluded that the solid state regulator needs 2-3 volts to work with, and could not maintain the 10v that the instruments need if the alternator was only holding the voltage up to 12ish.

Steve

Hi Mal,

you may have been unlucky with your first regulator.

Ideally the input and output should be protected against ringing/resonance with some damping capacitors - see circuit below.

With the current drawn by two gauges ( quite small) the resonance may have been a bit excessive and caused it to burn out.

Having two in parallel would reduce the current and may reduce the harmful effects of the resonance.

Hi Steve,

most regulators need apprx 3V above their output to function. However as the input voltage increases you have the problem of getting rid of the dissipated power/heat

Only a guess but I'm convinced.

Roger

220px-Schutz_spannungsregler.GIF

Hi Bob,

a lot of the gumph on the web suggests apprx 2.5v. I normally work on 2v.

However with the gauges requiring 10v and the system providing between 12v and 13.7 there isn't a great deal of leeway.

But it normally works.

As you say 'low dropout' regs could be a better bet but not just yet.

Roger