Hi Phil,

sorry to hear of your loss.

Unfortunately, the likelihood is that your car was stolen to order - rather than being a spur of the moment, opportunistic sort of theft.

Too many classics disappear never to be seen again . . . . . either shipped abroad within hours, or tucked away to be broken up for parts and sold off.

You could do worse than post on every Triumph Forum you can access, you could ask Wayne our Press Officer to put something on the main TR Register website, you could also try posting on pistonheads and other major classic and sports car forums . . . .

Keep chasing your local bobbies, and email every surrounding police force too, and the police forces at major ports . . . . . your TR is very important to you, but it's of bugger all consequence to the average copper these days, you're insured so be grateful . . . . . and don't expect the rozzers to do much, if anything, on your behalf. The chances of your local force notifying any other police force are negligible, you have to do your own legwork.

You could try emailing the major assistance/recovery services, it's just possible that a AA, RAC or whatever patrolman spotted a TR on a trailer . . . . any little clue might help.

When you've done all that, start focusing on insurance, and gathering together the evidence you'll probably need to persuade insurers to pay out a reasonable figure in a reasonable timescale.

Cheers

Alec

One hears that many time theives will stash a car nearby for a few days, in case the owner has a tracker installed. If the car isn't found, then they'll move it on. I've known of folks over here that found their stolen car on the street a few blocks away a day or two after it was stolen. The theives obviously don't stash it in their own property. Every day that passes is not a good sign, but get out there and look, at least.

Hi Phil

Sorry to here this. Can you please provide a few details of how the car was stolen as this may help detection and also others.

Was it at home and in a garage, parked on the road, in a car park whilst visiting Oxford , how long in same position etc etc.

Is there any chance of any local CCTV recording anything or ANR that the police could access.

I agree with Alec in that you will have to push this through the resource constrained system yourself but time is critical.

Best of luck

Rog

Sorry to hear that news. I wonder if it's worth declaring it SORN? Then if it is used on the road it would flag up on police APNR.

Just a thought but I would ask the insurance company and police first.

Since it's a lhd, it may end up in Europe, so it may be worth notifying the main tr dealers/ shops/ clubs in Europe.

I can provide you with the E- adresses in Holland if you want, maybe others can do the same for other countries.

Thank you so much for all the advice and best wishes. I haven't stopped since friday and should have replied before now. Have put some major miles in trying to get the word spread as far as possible. Have reached the same conclusion as Alec (above) that there is no point thinking the police will find it and I've been busy with Taxi firms, postmen, traffic wardens, estate agents, council maintenance departments, even ice cream vans....and of course the various triumph clubs home and abroad....everyone has been so kind. Doing local petrol stations within a quarter tank (all it had) maximum cruising range tomorrow (so about 20 miles, hahaha). Maybe should have done them first..

I understand the stolen and shipped argument, but it was stolen from somewhere it had never been left before in the middle of the night, and the guy spent at least two hours in and around Oxford city centre, and was last seen (on police ANPR camera) at 7.10am heading back towards where it was taken from - we're talking quarter of a mile. That doesn't sound like any organised or clear thinking individual. Or maybe it's an extremely confident one. I can't work it out. Either way, there's been no further sightings.

Thank you, everyone. I'll post any updates as they happen.

Phil

If it gives you any hope I had my first TR6 stolen in around 1976 when I was living in London. I actually watched it roar past me up Holloway Road in Islington. After being missing for around 5 weeks the insurance company were about to pay out when I had a call from the police asking me to call into the Police station. On arrival they told me they might have found my car so I got in a panda car and was driven about a mile away from where it was stolen from.

The car had been parked next to a building site all that time but was not recognisable due to all the dust covering it. No damage just a flat battery solved by me utilising the Panda car's- I pulled his out swapped started the car and swapped back with the engine running despite matey telling me not to

Keep your fingers crossed that sounds like joy riders.

The funny thing was that when we arrived where the car was parked the Police car stopped about 50 yards short and I was asked to go and have a look to see if it was mine. So pleased to see it I did, wiped the number plate clean and shouted back "Yes".

The officer then called back to me asking if I could see anything underneath it or any loose wires. As I was doing that I realised why. Remember the IRA bombings?

I kid you not!

Steve

OH! That is awful! Our cars like most cars from the 1960's are easy to take...a lesson to us all to fit a hidden ignition kill switch, or a Tracker.

When I leave mine out of sight I always pocket the Rotor Arm!

However, Phil get pictures of your car on every Social Media Site you can, it's the most powerful way of spreading the word these days! Good Luck !

PS: Back in the 1960's I was in a friends house in London having dinner, when I heard the distinctive exhaust note of my Souped-up Mini Cooper being Revved up! I dashed to the window and saw a guy in the drivers seat! So I tore out the door as the car drove away...fortunately the thief turned the wrong way into a busy One Way Street against oncoming traffic! As he attempted a 3 point turn I flung the door open grabbed him by his collar and threw him onto the road, he grabbed my leg and I lost my grip on the drivers doorframe as the car carried on going up the road! Just then, by chance a Cops car appeared and the thief was arrested! He had the cheek to say he thought it was his car...yeah right buddy tell it to the Magistrate!

Hi Phil

Sorry to hear that, fingers crossed , I had a mate who had one stolen many years ago off his drive they had to move two cars to get the 6 it was 1pm on a Saturday afternoon he got a call from the police 13years later they found it in Sweden/Norway the police out there stopped the car for a routine check and found the plates did not match commission plate details apparently what happened they drove a rotten 6 abroad and registered it in which ever country it was came back stole his then swapped some of the details over plates etc and scrap the other one and sold the bits, I know this don't help but it may help if members that are over seas keep there eyes open as well?

I will

Bluebob

I'm sure Philip will be along with the full story soon, but in the meantime he's asked that I notify as many TRR people as I can that he has recovered his stolen TR6. It was recognised by a girl who had seen mention of it on an Oxford Community website. Soon after she reported it, the car was found undamaged under a filthy black cover tucked behind some local flats, a quarter of a mile from where it was stolen.

This is great news and Philip sends his thanks to everyone in the TR community who kept an eye out for the car.

A lesson I've learnt from this is the importance of getting the message out online as soon as you realise your car has been stolen. With everyone working together and looking, there's a far greater chance of finding stolen cars.

So pleased your car is back

ATB Graham

Since it's a lhd, it may end up in Europe, so it may be worth notifying the main tr dealers/ shops/ clubs in Europe.

I can provide you with the E- adresses in Holland if you want, maybe others can do the same for other countries.

I shall relay the info to the Triumph Club de France and also to the Forums TCF, TR6 and NTC in France.

Regards and cross your fingers

I shall relay the info to the Triumph Club de France and also to the Forums TCF, TR6 and NTC in France.

Regards and cross your fingers

Sorry I was late on my reply and not looking up to the end of the messages, nevertheless great new...