Hi all

Had a great, although cold, day fabricating and fitting repair panels to the foot wells on my "box of bits" TR2

We all know that wire wool burns like mad given half a chance but the following is a reminder.

To the side of my main garage I have a workshop where I cut shape and fabricate my repair sections etc.

I had a roll of super fine wire wool sitting on the bench around 6 feet away from a work table where I was cutting steel sheet with a disc cutter.

I was going back and forth and went back in to see a bale of wire wool doing a great impersonation of a volcano. It's difficult stuff to put out especially if you are mean like me and reluctant to douse it with water as it would rust!

So, on a cold day, a spark from a disc cutter 6-7 feet away retains enough heat to possibly result in a rather serious fire.

Sometimes I think I am living on borrowed time!

Cheers

Steve

Or leave a blowlamp running turned slightly towards a double glazed window.

Or disconnect a battery on charge before turning the charger off.

Or spill petrol on the garage floor when you have a Calor heater running 10 feet away

Don't ask me how I know.

We should have a permanent thread running:-

"This weeks potential disaster:

Steve

Good heavens; I've done all those things.

Just before Christmas I had a pot of thinners on my bench and a welding spark turned it into a very poor lamp, but a very good towering inferno.

The worst thing i have done was realising my right foot was getting rather warm whilst welding.

When I looked down the sponge/fabric tongue on my trainers had 3" or 4" flames tempting the leg of my jeans.

Wire wool is a good one.

Roger

Done the thinners thing as well Roger.

That was after a friend of mine had been up on a Saturday using my stuff & working on his MK1 GT6 and left my tin of gun wash in the wrong place.

A couple of days later I was welding a sill when:-

To "quote" Viz magazine letters page

"Imagine my surprise when I turned round to see a 12ft sheet of flame running up the wall behind me and melting the Celotex insulation in the rafters:

Steve

Just had a thought.

Started this as a bit of light relief at the weekend but looking at the posts in a couple of hours makes me think.

Most of us on this board work on our own in our own workshops.

We, I am sure, all know the basics.

Don't work under an unsupported vehicle, wear a suitable mask when necessary etc. etc.

The thing is there are lots of things that can go wrong and in a commercial environment there is always someone else on hand to help out.

If we work on our own then a small mistake or problem can easily escalate when you are on your own. ( I know, I had an incident about 12 years ago that could have killed me)

I was just wondering if any moderators/organisers reading this think it might be worth having a permanent safety sub section listed that sits on the front of the Forum page.

I don't mean posting simple H & S advice (although that is useful & should be included in the header) but a thread where members post reports of real life issues that they have experienced.

We are all using more and more "professional" tools now than ever before and most of us just don't read the instructions so accidents are bound to get more frequent.

It would have to be something that people would read so I suppose semi amusing accounts of near misses etc. in the real, working on your own, world.

I am sure most members have at some time had something happen that no H & S legislation would have accounted for.

If something posted on a thread like that saved one person from a serious injury then that must surely have more value than a number of posts advising the best carb needles & springs?

What do you guys think?

Steve

A chap came to a meeting I attended last year who had just torched his classic car, garage and house all in one go. Lost the lot. It went up at night after he had been working in the garage.

I have noted on Wheeler Dealers and other classic car rescue programs, people are frequently welding and grinding with sparks flying all over the glass and interior with nothing being covered. As most of us know, the sparks just melt onto the glass and ruin it and burn holes in the seat fabric. I am surprised to see Ed China not mentioning something about covering glass and interior.

Dave.

Hi Steve,

good and useful observations, but I doubt the safety issues require their own little sub section . . . . . apart from anything else, how many folks would bother to read anything relating to safety ?!!

Occasional topics in At The Bar, such that they are visible to all Forumites (as opposed to TRR members only) is definitely a decent enough idea.

This week I was under the Super Snipe, a local classic workshop proprietor ambled past, and turned in to see what I was up to . . . . . in particular if the car was adequately supported. One of his customers had done himself severe injury over Xmas when the car he was under shifted off its pair of axle stands . . . . too much grunt applied to a wrench, the car moved sideways, KERPOW.

The Snipe was supported by a pair of stands under the front subframe, and a back-up pair under the suspension, hard against the tyres - it passed muster, two of us shoving sideways couldn't make any impact ! Just one pair of stands would have been a different matter . . . . . a one man light shove and the car rocked . . . .

Cheers

Alec

Can I suggest a topic along the lines of 'Don't make the mistake I made (I was lucky - it didn't destroy my car/garage/house/kill me)'.

Not nanny state but saving each other pain and grief.

What do you think?

Al

Edited by acaie

Alec, why not have basic information - we are not all seasoned restoration, workshop experts.

I am sure people are injured or worse through simple (avoidable) innocent mistakes.

Just had a thought.

Started this as a bit of light relief at the weekend but looking at the posts in a couple of hours makes me think.

Most of us on this board work on our own in our own workshops.

We, I am sure, all know the basics.

Don't work under an unsupported vehicle, wear a suitable mask when necessary etc. etc.

The thing is there are lots of things that can go wrong and in a commercial environment there is always someone else on hand to help out.

If we work on our own then a small mistake or problem can easily escalate when you are on your own. ( I know, I had an incident about 12 years ago that could have killed me)

I was just wondering if any moderators/organisers reading this think it might be worth having a permanent safety sub section listed that sits on the front of the Forum page.

I don't mean posting simple H & S advice (although that is useful & should be included in the header) but a thread where members post reports of real life issues that they have experienced.

We are all using more and more "professional" tools now than ever before and most of us just don't read the instructions so accidents are bound to get more frequent.

It would have to be something that people would read so I suppose semi amusing accounts of near misses etc. in the real, working on your own, world.

I am sure most members have at some time had something happen that no H & S legislation would have accounted for.

If something posted on a thread like that saved one person from a serious injury then that must surely have more value than a number of posts advising the best carb needles & springs?

What do you guys think?

Steve

+1an excellent idea

Alec

Your comment as to who would read a safety thread is valid and was in my mind as well. That was why I suggested something semi amusing along the lines of "this weeks near disaster".

However I see that in less than two days this thread has had over 430 page views so I think we might both have underestimated interest.

Your comments regarding axle stands ,for example, will have been read by most of those visits and now be in the minds of a number of people next time they put their car on stands.

Thinking about it, some of the most viewed and popular TV programs relate to disasters or accidents. From extreme weather, high speed car accidents, stupid pranks etc.

Perhaps far more natural interest than we thought?

Steve

Ones to add to the list.

• When jacking a car up with a trolley jack, check to see if the jack is going to pull the car back towards you and down off the ramps
  • When using a blow torch to try and loosen two stubborn exhaust sections, check if the grease on the exhaust is impregnated with anything flammable like fuel or stuff
  • How to avoid arc welding your wedding ring (an accompanying finger) to the starter solenoid
  • When using the forum, beware of unexpected feedback

Hi Austin,

many engineers remove certain clothing and metalic adornments before working on cars - rings, watches, ties, long hair etc

Not only can rings get hot and burn they can also get hooked and rip fingers off. Mind where you put anything with a ring on it :o

Roger

Hi Steve,

this thread may not be a good idea.

Having read the disaster tales above plus my own, yesterday I'm in the garage I put down the hot air gun and fiddle about.

When I pick it up I find that the hot nozzle had been resting and melting its way through a 240V mains cable.

Luckily it didn;t get to the copper but only by luck.

Although I wouldn't have got a belt the lights would have popped and who knows what else may have happened.

I can see a Darwin award coming my way B)

Roger

Hi Roger

It can only be an embarrassment if you are not prepared to admit your mistakes.

We all do this stuff every day so a mention of our own stupidity may save a problem later.

As said earlier I started this as light relief at a weekend but it really got me thinking.

I am certainly not a by the rulebook H&S guy but have been close to some very potentially serious accidents so this thread seems to have jumped on a bit for me as it has brought to mind some issues from years ago.

Try this one.

About 20 years ago I was working in my garage. A clear, bright winters day.

I had a Calor gas fire running in my workshop.

The main garage was empty and I was at one of my work benches cleaning the "varnish" from a pair of HS6 carbs from a V8 P6 I was saving after 10 years of idleness.

Under my workbench was my compressor & a 25ltr tub of gun wash.

A friend of mine was in and out of my garage borrowing tools etc.

I had a large bowl containing around 2.5 litres of thinners /petrol mix that I was using for cleaning the carbs.

I did not notice that my friend, when leaving, chucked the tools down on my bench just where I had been resting my bowl of rather volatile cleaning fluids.

A short while later I happened to put the bowl down to the side. It tipped over and decanted 2.5 litres of flammable liquid down the front of my jeans and over the floor.

Petrol on skin stings and I was aware that I had to go indoors to change but did the usual "just finish this first" thing for a minute or two.

Suddenly, the spilt fuel was ignited by the Calor heater. Shot across the floor and ignited my Jeans.

I have always been a quite calm person in a situation so thought "OK grab a dust sheet, put this out, and then deal with the fire.

Went into the garage next door with my legs on fire and quickly realised that all my dustsheets had gone in the wash.

Starting to panic now and thinking I might make a run for it to my pond and jump in. Remembered a couple of film clips I had seen that showed that running for it while on fire does not work.

In a panic, I suddenly spotted an old pair of overalls that I grabbed and doused the flames on my body.

Returning to the main garage I saw that the fire had melted the air hose from the compressor that had now burst and was sending a high pressure jet of fire encouraging air directly through the flames and up against the drum of thinners.

Adrenelin must have now cut in as I grabbed my fire extinguisher to douse the flames, ran outside and grabbed the hosepipe to cool everything down.

That's when everything started to hurt.

I ran into the house, stripped off, and stood under a cold shower for 10 mins.

Off to A & E and 6 hours later came home with both legs bandaged from the knee up.

Fortunately the "family jewels" were OK but it took 6 weeks before I could walk properly again.

Starting this "joke" thread has triggered a few memories.

Steve

There is a lot of value in this.

Accidents happen when a number of things come together to turn the normally safe into the un-safe.

If you read about this stuff you might just become aware.

When the engine was not in my 4A I jacked up one front-wheel, the way I usually would. And removed the wheel.

But without the engine weight BOTH front wheels had come up and it fell off the jack when I gave it a slight nudge.

This could have been horrible but actually because of the weight distribution it sat there quite happliy on three wheels.

post-13767-0-77947700-1452629061_thumb.jpgJust had a thought about my last post and trawled back through some old pics.

Must have been around 12 years ago as here is a pic of me and my daughter around 11 years ago.

I did not notice at the time the burns to my knees and lower legs but the scars are still visible a year later.

Sorry if this all looks a bit serious now. I started this as a jokey thread but sometimes things come back to haunt you.

Anyway if anyone reads about all our silly mistakes perhaps it will help.

Steve