Having discussed the finer details of tapping the gearbox for the reversing light switch: I would appreciate Forum ideas on what to use as a reversing light?

Any ideas on the lights to use ie TR5 set up or the VC4 rear mounted spot - does that go with bumpers?

Next are there any legal limits on height above ground /brightness ?

Photos of attractive reversing lights in situ would help

PS rust round the reversing lights was one of the reasons I started to rebuild the carpost-9449-0-05848000-1450350061_thumb.jpgpost-9449-0-18435300-1450351556_thumb.jpg

Edited by MichaelH

I have a Lucas L661 tucked neatly under the bumper:

So have I - factory correct and pretty useless.

Gets dirty too easily, rusts like crazy and the glass breaks when you drop it changing the bulb.

Nevertheless, I have just sourced another mint L661 off EBay and will dutifully persevere with the factory method.

post-8829-0-96192100-1450379583_thumb.jpg

About not letting cars out after dark: if you have an old soft top then reversing in the dark is a bit of risk even with a good rear light

Separately I looked at the thread indicated and RogerH has three photos which I can't see . Any chance of repeating them?

PS I like the idea if an LED strip in the middle of the rear light cluster... very clever and discrete. Is it bright enough to reverse in a dark pub car park?

Thanks for your ideas

Michael

Edited by MichaelH

Cheers:

Managed to trace the lights that Geko used: they are described as front truck marker lights and I ordered them from Autobits UK £7 for 5 delivered after Christmas

I will keep you posted

Michael

Edited by MichaelH

Modifying the light clusters is neat. Now on my list meanwhile I will continue using my indicators as a stop gap.

Mike

So some good ideas for the lights, but...

I don't have reverse lights so I would need to fit a switch. That's a big issue, or is it?

I do have overdrive and that has a set of inhibitor switches to stop the o/d coming on in 1st and reverse. So the o/d circuit "knows" when the car is in reverse/first/neutral. It occurs to me that it might be possible to make use of the o/d circuitry to work a reversing light. Some type of additional switching latching logic circuit. You would need a manual on reverse light switch, but the new circuit would make use of the o/d wiring/gearbox switches to turn it off. Trouble is I am not clever enough to figure it out. Anyone???

Mike

Edited by MikeF

Mike,

Doesn't work quite like that.

The inhibitor switches don't "prevent" anything as such -

they allow overdrive to work when 2nd/3rd/4th gears are

engaged by earthing through the inhibitor switches.

So, the overdrive circuit knows if 2nd/3rd/4th are engaged,

it doesn't 'know' anything else.

AlanR

Edited by TR 2100

Mike it's a really easy fix and covered in some other threads, you just have to add another switch (the same as the existing o/d gearbox switches) to the top of the box, some boxes have plugs that you remove and replace, others need drilling and tapping, I've done a couple which work just as intended.

Hi Mike,

having re-read your post - you can't use the existing OD circuitry to sort out the reversing light - I have spent hours using logic daigrams and it can't happen.

If you want it switching through the gearbox then you will need to fit a new 'inhibit' switch - although in prinicpal it is easy(ish) in practice it is a pain.

You need to get the top cover off the GB, mark out where the hole should be and drill/tap it.

Before I could get to my gearbox I fitted a finger operated timer circuit to the lights (20 seconds) so that they automatically cut out.

Roger

Out after dark :blink:

LNK is often out after dark and, more importantly, needs head lamp style lighting when reversing. Living as she does in a garage at the bottom of the garden, accesses via a rear service road, unlit and pitch black

As we're about ten houses down LNK has to reverse approx 500 feet down a narrow dark lane. Lucky Rally reps come with a Lucas 576 B) plenty of light

Not on the gearbox, manual operated with a illuminated switch wired to a volvo truck reversing buzzer to keep it all legal'ish !

Wouldn't be without it.................although almost too much for the pub car park !!

NB: Seen Roger's set up, really neat and my first choice if I was building a standard type road car

Noise%252520test.jpg

Edited by North London Mike

post-11421-0-43056700-1450927816_thumb.jpg

Thought this solution was interesting! Click the thumbnail image to see it bigger.

This car is available on ebay at http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1965-TRIUMPH-TR4A-IRS-WITH-OVERDRIVE-FREE-UK-OR-NL-SHIPPING-INCLUDED-/252223333423?hash=item3ab9aea42f:g:TPgAAOSw5ZBWLMIE

Best

Paul

attachicon.gifDSCN9403.jpg

Thought this solution was interesting! Click the thumbnail image to see it bigger.

This car is available on ebay at http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1965-TRIUMPH-TR4A-IRS-WITH-OVERDRIVE-FREE-UK-OR-NL-SHIPPING-INCLUDED-/252223333423?hash=item3ab9aea42f:g:TPgAAOSw5ZBWLMIE

Best

Paul

As per standard fitting on TR5.

Stuart.