Oh Dear! TR250 Pretending to be a TR5!

Cor blimey, all you 5 haters :D. Do the 6ers hate it because it's not got the 6 body and the 4ers hate it because it's not got a 4-pot engine? Or, is it just because the market now demands a high price for them? If so, that's not the car's fault now is it. I wish they were the same price as the 4s and 6s, then I'd have had two!

I love it . . . the car and the hate :lol:.

Darren

P.S. With regard to the ad, I'm with Austin.

Yeah, too bleeding right Austin. If someone was slagging off the wedgies or the other cars because they have windy up windows everyone would be up in arms, but not when it comes to us poor 5 owners, oh no! Everyone wants a pop at us, well it's a bleeding liberty and make no mistake about it. Dave, Conrad, Harry, myself and the rest of the 5 owners are being victimised here. Now, where's that "Report" button :P.

Edited by TR5tar

It took decades, but here in the 'States TR6 owners looked down their noses at TR250s at least until the turn of the century <_< and now they all seem to want one ^_^ . The endless snubs we got from them, especially 6-PACK members, have been amply repaid in both looks and performance contests ;) . Best of all was the TR5 victory over several TR6s at Mid-Ohio early this century, the former on 45DCOEs and the latter on modern P.I. systems. Or was it a TR250 taking Best of Show at the 2010 6-PACK Trials ( national convention ) in a field of hostiles and strangers?

Same car inside; it's down to preference for angles or curves on the body. It would be interesting to poll the ladies for their preference ^_^ .

Cheers,

Tom

It would be interesting to poll the ladies for their preference ^_^ .

Tom

I know what my partner would say, and that would be she'd rather not have either, I think one more car here would be the straw that.........

But anyway my final thought on the issue.

TR5's missing the PI and fitted with twin strombergs are shipped to the states, and if they are brought back and fitted with PI people don't want them to be called TR5's

TR6's missing the PI and fitted with twin strombergs are shipped to the states, and if they are brought back and fitted with PI people are happy for them to be called TR6's

Alan

"It would be interesting to poll the ladies for their preference ^_^" - MGA (cough spit) in our house

Compare and contrast with classic Triumph bikes...

Like TR's, 80-90% were sold overseas when new, mainly in the USA. Today, many Triumph bikes have been brought back to the UK. I know, as I have a 1970 TR6R 650 originally sold in New York state.

In the bike fraternity, it makes no difference to value or desirability where it was sold when new. True, there were some differences in specification, for example the US-spec bike has a smaller fuel tank. But today, they are all appreciated and valued for what they are, lovely old machines.

So why are TR5's so highly valued? The law of supply and demand. Relatively few TR5's were made, punters want them, then the market takes care of pricing.

As for the TR250 supposedly masquerading as a TR5 on eBay - anyone who has done a little research can see from the listing that it's a US car converted from carbs to PI. If a potential buyer isn't prepared to learn enough about his target purchase, caveat emptor applies.

Nigel

I know what my partner would say, and that would be she'd rather not have either, I think one more car here would be the straw that.........

But anyway my final thought on the issue.

TR5's missing the PI and fitted with twin strombergs are shipped to the states, and if they are brought back and fitted with PI people don't want them to be called TR5's

TR6's missing the PI and fitted with twin strombergs are shipped to the states, and if they are brought back and fitted with PI people are happy for them to be called TR6's

Alan

In all seriousness, although I see the point you are making Alan, for me if Triumph designated both the chassis and the engine as TR5, then what you have is a TR5, regardless of what other bits have been replaced over the years. Triumph felt it was important to make the distinction, so that's good enough for me. Do I think that 5s are intrinsically more valueable than other TRs? Of course not. They are all great cars.

Most of us are critical of the people that buy a classic solely as an investment, seeing it as money on wheels. In the case of this seller, it's pretty clear that money is the motivator behind how he has worded the ad.

Edited by TR5tar

Morning all, well Marko this has certainly sparked alot of comments and really interesting ones too, from a wide audience. The bidding stands firm at £9500 with 23 bids and 5 days to go.

I do like the fact that if you bring a TR6 in from the states, it is registered as a TR6 here.(but it did go out as a TR6) and i think the selling values are lower than a British car.

And the same with classic Bikes, and why not.

As long as the prospective buyers know its a TR250 import (which i think they now do) then they know what they are buying.I still think it should be badged as a 250 .

If at a later date this is sold again and is badged as a TR5, then all you have to do is check out the Commission Number and also the Heritage certificate.

If i was looking for a 6 cylinder,fuel injection, Michelotti styled car, i would be happy to buy it.

Have fun everybody,

Conrad.

If at a later date this is sold again and is badged as a TR5, then all you have to do is check out the Commission Number and also the Heritage certificate.

If I was looking for a 6 cylinder, fuel injection, Michelotti styled car, I would be happy to buy it.

Exactly Conrad it is what it is, and anyone wanting to spend money on it or similar should really do their homework and offer accordingly and not take the ad at face value hoping for a bargain.

On a positive note it does though increase the rarity of our 250's with another one claiming to be a 5 :blink:

Mark.

Here is a female point of view, on looks only. I much prefer the 250 look with the bonnet stripes. Just my opinion.

its a bit like Triggers Broom this

most on here will ev a car thats got lots of new things

some will have new chassis, some a full new body,

some both, some new engines /box/od , when it did,nt originally /axle,

different material on seats, the list is endless

but its still the same car,!!! or so ye like to kid yer selves, and try and kid others not in the know, that its an OE car with lots of work done over the years,

As for saying , im going to report this car to the TR brigade,

ended up belly up ont floor, never had such a good laff for ages,

even Herr Nibbs was laffing her head oft at that sentence

M

i think the point is that the seller clearly knew the difference in value between a tr5 and a car that starts life as a 250 and he originally sought to cloak the facts

I will be posting a notice on the TR Register forum to warn potential purchasers of this car being a TR250 and informing the TR Registrar for TR5's to notify the DVLA of their error.

If you've got any morals you will modify your advert accordingly now you know the full story

There you go Neil

And adding to above post, forgetfull memory, or just being Pedantic

Also It stinks and should be reported .

Regards

Neil

M

Look at the dates and time? after Marks hard work,it should have been reported to ebay imho.

and from the ad

I'm starting this auction at 0.99p and there will be no buy it now price, unless it is more than I can possibly resist !! If I don't answer you know it's too low.

Edited by ntc

Just a tiny bit of clarification for the "small penis" brigade :D

My point initially was that the original advert clearly stated the car was a TR5 and registered as one, the advert title was and still is Triumph TR5.

The motive for this was clearly and in no doubt money, whether you like it or not, or think it's ludicrous TR5's are probably worth £10k more than similar condition TR250's - stupid - yes probably but the market dictates this and I have owned a few of both models! They're both great cars in their own right.....

I blame Triumph for calling the UK version a TR5 and the US version a TR250.....ridiculous...

And some of you archair "warriors" are so brave i'm scared to go out :ph34r: