Oh Dear! TR250 Pretending to be a TR5!

And also for the record.... the reason for me mentioning that I was going to post it on the Forum is so that any unsuspecting potential purchasers who doesn't know all the anorak details in relation to the differences between the models is caught out paying too much for what they think is a TR5 when in fact it's a TR250.....

Morning Mark, Helen ,Graeme and Alex, love the banter, thats what this Forum can produce,"Friends having a nice lighthearted chat"

I think your point has worked mark, and well put too.

I met Graeme in the snow and sleet yesterday at Thurrock services, transferred some stuff into his car, had a chat and went on my way.Thats what this forum and the TR Register does for me !

I nearly called in Helen, but time was against me this time....

Have a great day All you Essex boys and girls, and us other folk too !!

Conrad.

Head is fine thanks, look forward to that drink one day.

By the way, the TR5 is now at 0.99 p .....not long to go.

What the F !

Conrad.

So it went for less then what a well sorted TR250 would be expected to fetch? I suppose that's the problem with not knowing whether you are Arthur or Martha :D.

Darren

P.S. Let me know Sue when you are next joining us out in the Vale and I'll bring my paint brush. I've got a pretty steady hand and I'm sure I could put one of those stripes on the 4A for you :ph34r:.

The highest bidder was someone with "0" feedback....

If I was cynical, it could be someone bidding up the price......

I suspect it will be back up for sale again sometime soon.....

:ph34r:

:o Wash your mouth out Mr O'Malley...............I would have said the owner has bought his car back. :D:D

Cheers

Andrew

Gentlemen

The situation here appears to be crystal clear. From the information presented the car in question is not a TR5, it is in fact a TR5 REPLICA assembled from what was manufactured as a TR250 (and there are quite a few other differences apart from the carburettors vs. Lucas PI). Yes, there seems to be quite a few "Wanna Be" TR5s all around the planet but it is only the whole and truthful history of the car that sets the real ones apart from the imposters.

It is all about provenance (the place of origin or earliest known history of something.)

Caveat Emptor!

Have a happy winter

Robert Johnston

Kiwi TR5

Edited by KiwiTR5

So it went for less then what a well sorted TR250 would be expected to fetch? I suppose that's the problem with not knowing whether you are Arthur or Martha :D.

Darren

P.S. Let me know Sue when you are next joining us out in the Vale and I'll bring my paint brush. I've got a pretty steady hand and I'm sure I could put one of those stripes on the 4A for you :ph34r:.

Darren, I will take you up on your generous offer next time we are out your way.

That may be some time off as the poor old " Rust Bucket " is partly disassembled at present.

Those stripes will cover, nicely, some crazing that appeared on the bonnet shortly after Roger completed his rebuild in 1998 and were caused by a Hebridean ruminant head butting our lovely car.

Don't mention this to Roger, he was quite upset that this animal went out of its way to run down off a huge rock and attack our car ( sorry for the animal not the car).

How's the move going?

" It is all about provenance (the place of origin or earliest known history of something.) "

An eminently reasonable suggestion, in theory, but in practice, at least in the UK, the proportion of TRs with anything resembling proper provenance, documented history, and a significant degree of remaining originality is small indeed.

Queen Anne's Axe principle applies to a very considerable number of cars, and that's without taking into account the proportion of ludicrously overpriced 'historic' cars that retain little, and in some cases hardly any, of the components with which they were first built.

The Emperor's New Clothes syndrome, but then it's all about talking up the value of four-wheeled investments. History has become bunk.

Cheers

Alec

Just a comment but both TR5's and TR6's came off the same production line and went to the USA.

The TR6's went out with Stromberg Carbs called a TR6 and come back to this country a TR6.

The TR5 went out with carbs with a different name, a TR250, to keep the American market alive but came back called a TR250 despite the fact that the main mod is in the fuel system, the same as the TR6

Remember, the TR5 was for Triumph a last shot at the old body style

.I remember back in the early 70's buying a TR6.

A friend of mine loved it but could not afford one so he bought a TR5 as it was much cheaper as they were a revamp of the 4 &4a . that buyers at the time were bored with even though it had been uprated.

That's why they are rare, they came out and no one wanted them so they got dumped at the scrapyard as 4's with a big engine.

I feel this seller was pretty honest with his description and the provenance of the car and at £15k I think the new buyer got a pretty good deal.

He bought a car that looks and performs like a TR5 for less than half the cost of a car with the right numbers on.

If someone wants a car for the pleasure of driving and ownership does it really matter what the badge or original number was?

Anyone considering buying a TR5 would realise the provenance of this vehicle. If they wanted a completely original car with matching numbers etc. they would ask the questions and realise the car's history

If they don't they should not be buying or at least take advice before committing 30k + to a car purchase - Caveat Emptor

We would all like to own a GT40 or Gullwing Merc. but the originals now are only available to the super rich.

Although a lot of posters on here would love to own an original TR5 I am sure a large proportion are not in a position to lay out 35k+ for one.

S

Hi Steve,

you may be right about the history of the TR5 but I thought it was a desperate infill for the delayed TR6.

The original styling house for the 6 pulled out and caused a delay in the body.

The PI was all ready to go so they bunged it into a 4A body and badged it as a 5 (250 for the yanks)

When the 6 was eventually sorted it replaced the 5.

There may have been 5's left unsold for a while as people bought the more modern 6

Roger

Personally I wouldn't have much of a problem if the original advert on eBay didn't badge it as a TR5 up front. If he'd headlined it as a replica (as suggested above) or something like TR250/TR5 then there's enough narrative in the rest of the listing so as to describe it fairly.

Edited by peejay4A