I've been sent a pdf of a report on the effectiveness of various rustproofing products that makes interesting reading. Its been commisioned by a manufacturer and obviously their product comes out top.

I realise it wouldnt be made public otherwise but I think it is quite revealing.

If you're interested pm me your email address and I'll send you a copy for you to make up your own mind.

I dont want to post names or pictures on here because it will attract the usual poo poo'ers and accusers and thats not where I'm coming from. Just trying to share the love :)

Cheers

Nick

Why should we believe a report, commissioned by a manufacturer, that finds that manufacturer is best?

This has been the story of Big Pharma - the major pharmaceutical companies - for ever. Just read Ben Goldacre - "Bad Pharma".

I'd be glad to read the report, but be prepared for sceptical view!

John

Edited by john.r.davies

Why should we believe a report, commissioned by a manufacturer, that finds that manufacturer is best?

This has been the story of Big Pharma - the major pharmaceutical companies - for ever. Just read Ben Goldacre - "Bad Pharma".

I'd be glad to read the report, but be prepared for sceptical view!

John

Of course you are right John, which is why I havent made reference to any product by name on the forum and ask that we make our own mind up.

I approached the report from a very sceptical point of view also - especially as it was sent to me by the company after I questioned that what I'd been sent in a recent order was different to what I expected.

I am impressed with the results of the report, others may not be, but have no intention of trying to advertise them on here because I appreciate its a bit subjective.

Maybe I'm a bit naive, but I'd be interested to see what others think.

Cheers

Nick

PS Its going on my 4 anyways up :):)

...and another - I've recently discovered the 'powder coating' on my chassis is flaking (yes, I know it's not as good as chassis paint, POR15, etc, but it seemed like agood idea at the time), so I will need to do something to rectify some areas very soon.

Hi Nick,

PM sent, thanks in anticipation.

Mick Richards

Hi Nick,

thanks for the info. The results for Bilthamber was not surprising but it still looked like a good test.

Hi John D, Obviously Bilthamber would not have commissioned the study if they were going to fail - they did their homework.

I would suggest that the Uni did a fair trial.

What I would also suggest is that the salt spray chamber is a very very hard environment. Far tougher than what the poor old TR experiences in normal day to day work.

I have used Waxoyl and in general it works OK. I have also noticed that when it dries out it can flake off vertical/inverted surface which suggests that it loses adhesion to flat horizontal surfaces also. If you use Waxoyl keep topping up every two/ three years.

On the aircraft at BA I have used Astorlan from an aerosol it goes on very wet and creepy but sets like toffee - brilliiant stuff.

Roger

I was in a design review mtg this afternoon and like every design review meeting in the 2 years before it, our architect and the planning officer argued for and against some material called corten (cor-ten?). I thought for a change i might ask wtf this contentious material was as we might end up with it should the planning system ever grant someone permission to do something.

The answer was "self-rusting steel"

OMG - some clever bloke is selling steel at a premium on the basis that it isn't treated against rust and does what it does naturally anyway - rust - genius that man !

I can only assume that all TRs are made of this magical corten ?

Hi Roger

Funnily enough the second lot I've just received is exactly like the Astorlan you describe. This is far wetter than the first batch which was a lot like waxoyl (waxier/lighter colour). Thats why I questioned the company to see if theyd sent the right stuff.

Their reply included the report and an explanation that they have 2 versions. Apparently this wetter stuff flows and penetrates seams better before setting like (as you described) toffee. The first waxier stuff has bigger wax crystals and is prone to 'gelling' in cold conditions. The new stuff is the wetter darker version.

The cynic in me thought that they are just selling more solvent..............until I read the report.

Nick

COR-TEN steel, aka "Weathering steel". What the "Angel of the North" is made from.

The 'patina' is supposed to be more tenacious thna ordinary rust and to stabilise the metal, like the layer of oxide does on aluminium. But not always! It may be a batch thing. See: http://www.residentialshippingcontainerprimer.com/CorTen

John

Hi Brian,

the 50um Mike sanders sample was too coroded at the end to be included.

However at 50um it is outside the manufacturers requirements.

At 500um it performed fairly well but didn;t have a comparison thickness to the others. Hence it being listed at 6th position.

Roger

A question that could be put forward is - is 50um the recommended thickness for the products other than the Bilthamber.

Edited by RogerH