Driving a TR6 with a hard top

Hi All,

I am planning on fitting a hard top to my TR6.

1. Are they much quetier than a soft top (I will put the soft top back on in the summer, this is just for winter driving)

2. Does it drive much different with one fitted ?

Many thanks

Tom

Hi Tom,

Yes with hardtop on its more quiet.

The car with hardtop in place drives like a different animal, rock solid. And looks great. Its like having

two different cars.

Cheers

Guy

Hi All,

1. Are they much quetier than a soft top (I will put the soft top back on in the summer, this is just for winter driving)

Many thanks

Tom

yep a lot quiter and you dont get as much scuttle shake and rattles etc.

looks better in my opinion.

richard

Much more solid feel, more light and space in the cabin and quieter. That does make other noises stand out.

I lived with a once per wheel revolution rub until I fitted a hardtop, the sound and feel of it made me delve harder into the cause. Eventualy found a missing tooth from the crownwheel and right hand rear hub bearing.

It does look much better, to my eyes anyway.

Mike.

It is a really great looking car, in my view, with the hardtop. Lots of space and light. Quieter and stiffer. Im lucky that mine is a good fit, some are not. Easy to fit and to remove. Stored on a hoist in my garage roof. Regards David J.

Hi All,

Many thanks for the replies.

I am driving 2000 miles in 48hrs, Lands end to John o'Groats, so looking forward to driving it with the hard top on.

Thanks again

Tom

Tom, sounds like a fun trip but is that 2000 miles for the round trip or are you going to zig zag your way up the island ?

Stan

Only had mine on for a week - handles better, feels stiffer (the car that is), you get more confidence at higher speed, the other half loves it as she feels safer and the hair remains the same!

A question that arose on our site here in Ireland is whether the hard top was designed by Karmann? Anyone know?

We have also been talking about places such as South Africa and Australia where they use the hard top in the summer as its too hot to go topless!

So my advice if you got one in the garage stick it on!

Edited by Steve in Dublin

DON'T get a Lenham style hard top, like I did. Leaked worse than the soft top around the windscreen, making me dispose of it pronto.

Having said that, with it on the car was saloon like in space and luxury. There was also more window and therefore the interior was much more airy and bright and it was much quieter - no hood flapping :-)

We are just back from the Euromeeting in Yorkshire. Variable weather and the six with the hardtop was without any doubt a win/win situation. :) Had to drive 300 miles of motorway to the ferry and felt much safer among all the trucks. Had the car parked in Harrogate, York and Hull in the street or public parking where in fact you feel less stressed if you leave your car with the hardtop on.

Fully agree with everyone, a TR6 looks great with the hardtop, will probably not take it off anymore. :D

Steve,

The hardtop was designed in-house by Triumph. Karmann did do a design for it however it wasn't liked and in fact the style that they came up with appeared to have been very closely modelled on a Michelotti sketch that he had done a couple of years earlier.

cheers

Derek

Hi All,

Many thanks

Tom

Hi Tom

Surely a TR6 with a hard top isn't a 'real blokes car' - ask James May (Top Gear)

Regards

...would you call James May 'a real bloke' ? ;)

Well he has long hair.

Now who else do we know with long hair :lol::lol:

Ivor

• 2 weeks later...