Original sun visors - how to refubish?

I have a pair of - what I believe to be - original sun visors on my TR4-A. I think they were white or cream originally (any help?). Unfortunately, mine are now quite yellow, though in excellent condition (no rips tears, dents, etc). But I'd like them brighter. I have thought about light bleach on a cloth or sponge, then wiping off after a period of time. I welcome any better suggestions, as the replacements seem to be either all black or spongy white. :(

Edited by ron73

Hi Ron,

I had the same problem. Years of grime and sun made the white plastic definately 'icky'. I don't think bleach will be any use and may even damage

the plastic (brittle, crazing etc). If you are feeling brave then what I did certainly did the trick.

1. Get yourself a 1/2" paint brush and cut the bristles back so that you have a very stiff stippling brush.

2. You will need some very clean stockinette cloth.

3. Finally a can of cellulose thinners.

Starting in a small corner of the sun-visor stipple the cellulose into the plastic surface. After the first 1" wipe away the residue before it evaporates. Then do the next inch.

Use a clean piece of cloth for each inch. when a complete side is finished go over again but covering a larger area (eg 4 square inches) so that patchiness is reduced to a minimum.

Caution - Don't over do it and remove the thinners fairly quickish otherwise the plastic may melt. The thinners is a solvent for the plastic and you will be removing the plastic surface to a small degree.

It really does work though.

Roger

There's a product sold in d-i-y stores for renovating white plastic garden/patio furniture, comes in the usual squirty bottles like kitchen or bathroom cleaner. That does a reasonable job on light colour vinyl for a couple of quid and minimum risk.

Cheers,

Alec

Why not just scrub them clean and then paint them using trim/upholstery paint? You can get this in non Halfords type accessory shops . It paints out thin so preserves texture of surface and remains flexible. Once on you can't tell from original.

Mike

Hi Ron,

I was faced with the same problem last year. I acquired quite a collection of sunvisors in

various conditions, including some old ones that were ideal to experiment on. Nothing

seemed to work. Even if you do find something to soften/clean the surface, they would be

far more prone to discolouration in the future. I never did find out whether the discolouration

was skin deep or if the whole fabric was discoloured. It wasn't stains I was trying to remove,

just a general discolouration.

I go along with the idea of paint, but there are different 'qualities' of paint. I have used a

cream to recolour a leather sofa and I was going to try some of that. Although you buy it as

a cream in a tube, it's water miscible and you can thin it out and, as Stuart comments, you

don't lose the pattern in the fabric.

At the top end of the scale, probably beyond what it's worth for a pair of sunvisors, there

are plastic paints available. John Skinner used these to provide a special colour for leather

and plastic upholstery to a high standard.

In the end, I solved my problem by having John Skinner make up two new ones - that way,

at least they match the new surrey top headlining, but doesn't help you with your problem.

AlanR

No matter how much you clean them, they will still be off-colour. So, I did mine with Kiwi Shoe Dye (colour to suit). There's a sponge on the end of the bottle that acts as an applicator. Two or three applications and the things are like new.

I then treated them to a new mirror, which I think I got from Moss.

Best wishes,

John & HAB832C

Thanks...I may try the approach with the thinner first, instead of bleach. I'm wary of all the reasons already listed. If no joy, I will look for a fabric paint of good quality to keep the texture, etc. Can I assume these indeed were once white???

Can I assume these indeed were once white???

Hard to describe, white but not brilliant white, more like off-white, certainly not cream.

You'll probably have to mix your own shade of whatever paint you decide to use.

From my own experience, you'll have no luck with thinners, but looking on the bright side,

you shouldn't do any damage either.

AlanR

Hi Alan , Ron,

please be careful with the thinners. It is a solvent for the type of plastic you are trying to clean. If left on for prolonged time (20-30 secs) it may cause a probem.

However as I suggested at the begging of the thread if you do a small area and wipe off it really will work.

Having said that I've only cleaned two so not a very big sample.

If you try this will you report back for info.

Roger

• 3 weeks later...
Hi Alan , Ron,

please be careful with the thinners. It is a solvent for the type of plastic you are trying to clean. If left on for prolonged time (20-30 secs) it may cause a probem.

However as I suggested at the begging of the thread if you do a small area and wipe off it really will work.

Having said that I've only cleaned two so not a very big sample.

If you try this will you report back for info.

Roger

Hi Roger

I ended up using a plastic industrial cleaner while I had the car at Enginuity. Although not perfect, it got me 80% there using a scrub brush. They can probably tell you what it was! Now that I've put the visors and rack back, I can't remember if the flat side (vs soft) is on top or bottom - anyone able to help? I should have taken a photo!

Hi Roger

I ended up using a plastic industrial cleaner while I had the car at Enginuity. Although not perfect, it got me 80% there using a scrub brush. They can probably tell you what it was! Now that I've put the visors and rack back, I can't remember if the flat side (vs soft) is on top or bottom - anyone able to help? I should have taken a photo!

When they are in the downward position the soft side should be facing you as a safety feature!

Stuart.

I find that Mr Muscle kitchen cleaner works very well on grotty stuff. Mrs tr4tony likes it in the kitchen too !

And which cleaner does she use?

• 15 years later...

Something else to try is “Magic Eraser”. A friend uses it on the vinyl seats of his boat to good effect. As always, try it on a small/less visible spot first.

Jim

I just spray painted mine with plastikote, spot on and has held up the last three years. Wife now says they are too bright :) may spray them matt black.

Having cleaned my visors with Cif on a stiff brush and wiped off with a damp cloth I painted them with a quality vinyl silk emulsion with good results.  I was so pleased with the result that I treated the hard top head lining and other white vinyl trim in the same way with long lasting results.

Tim

DSC01145.JPG

DSC01144.JPG

• 1 month later...

Recap of the various suggestions i have seen on here;

Product for renovating white garden furniture.

Trim/upholstery paint

Kiwi shoe dye

Mr Muscle kitchen cleaner

Magic Eraser

Manista hand cleaner and nail brush

Spray paint with plastikote.

CIF on a stiff brush then paint with vinyl silk emulsion.

I first cleaned them up a bit with baking powder on a wet sponge then used the shoe dye method. Quite pleased with the results

20240411_105424.jpg

20240411_105714.jpg

20240411_141438.jpg