Battery terminals - bulkhead or engine side

Just looking to get a new battery for my 4A. At present the terminals are engine side with + on drivers side (RHD car). Trying to find this terminal arrangement (T1) for a battery of suitable size (50-60Ah 450-600CCA) is proving a bit of an issue. Those I have seen today have the + on front right of battery (T0 arrangement) and mine is front left. I have read that up to the 4A the terminals were bulkhead side and from 5 onwards were engine side. The batteries I have seen would have to be fitted with terminals next to bulkhead with battery label facing away from engine. Not too fussed about originality but have found a Halfords HB075 that would look right in a TR and has distilled water filling holes as on my Tungstone battery that has finally given up the ghost. Only problem would be that it would be fitted back to front with terminals at back and label facing bulkhead. The only other I have found is a Yuasa YBX3214 which does have T1 terminals ok for engine side but Halfords have none in stock. 

If I fit with terminals next to bulkhead then the + to solenoid lead which is about 8 inches long might be too short. In Moss and Rimmers catalogues this lead is black but mine is red (which I prefer). At present the lead is well away from potential earth points but would not be if fitted to back of battery.

Nothing is simple. 

Any thoughts?

Keith

Cables are easy to replace.   Personally I think terminals to the bulkhead is safer as they are then well away from the clamping bar. 

Remember too that when disconnecting the battery you should take off the earth connection first.  Accidentally shorting that one to earth with the spanner is not a problem - and once it has been removed, neither is it a problem on the live terminal. 

4 hours ago, RobH said:

Cables are easy to replace.   Personally I think terminals to the bulkhead is safer as they are then well away from the clamping bar. 

Remember too that when disconnecting the battery you should take off the earth connection first.  Accidentally shorting that one to earth with the spanner is not a problem - and once it has been removed, neither is it a problem on the live terminal. 

Thanks for your thoughts Rob. I once had one of those batteries with lead straps on the top. Only once! Disconnecting the earth did not render the top of the battery safe. I dropped a spanner on it once and luckily managed to remove it before it welded itself to the top.

I might have to go the route of terminals next to bulkhead since I can't seem to find a battery locally with a T1 terminal layout. Would not be the first time I have had terminals next to bulkhead. Would prefer battery label on engine side so I can see it but might have to have it hidden at the back.

Keith

Keith,

Try Groves Batteries in Cheltenham. 
Graham

I had this dilemma when I needed a new battery.. I finally fitted a new battery from Lincon Batteries, Leigh-on-sea., Essex  It is badged E14 and has the terminals on the bulkhead side with the earth strap on the passenger side ( my TR3A is rhd.) The makers label is on the engine side.  It was delivered and has been very reliable for a long time. There is access to allow some top up when serviced. It also looks correct.

Good luck

Richard & B

Hi Colin

That's a fair old size battery you have there. The shrink wrap would seem to be essential. The cut off switch connection is very close to the fixing bracket. On my current battery the terminal is about 1.5 inches from front of battery so quite a bit more room than on yours. I am going to shrink wrap the bracket on mine just for peace of mind. Actually a small top hat insulator where the bracket stays go through the bracket might be an idea.

Hi Graham

I have looked at Groves batteries online but nothing obvious there. There is a place called Powerland near Alcester that isn't too far away and there's always GSF.

Hi Richard

Glad to know I'm not the only one to be a bit stuck on this. Pity batteries don't have labels both sides.

Keith

3 hours ago, Colin Symonds said:

I have an Exide 955 on my 4a, positive driver's side and terminals engine side, I do have shrink wrap on the hold down.

20210816-P1050126.jpg

Wow that’s too close for comfort! Not for me.

069 battery config is the original layout for + earth.

I use an 068 battery configuration, keeps the terminals at the the rear for -earth

Yuasa make both……so do Halfords by badge engineering.

Edited by iain
1 hour ago, iain said:

I use an 068 battery configuration, keeps the terminals at the the rear for -earth

As I said, and as you can see in the photo, the battery hold down is covered in shrink wrap rubber.  

Hi Iain

I have looked at the Yuasa and Halfords 068 and 069. As you correctly say they can both be used with terminals next to bulkhead for either negative or positive earth. The only issue is that the label cannot be seen facing the bulkhead.  The Halfords 068 and 069 are both 72Ah 600CCA. There is a Halfords 075 which is 56Ah 500CCA that would also fit and half the price of the other two. 56Ah and 500CCA is sufficient for a TR. Again though the label would face the bulkhead.

Hi Colin

Yes the +ve is close to the hold down on your car but the shrink wrap will provide insulation. There are other places on a TR where the electrics can short out as we all know. However if it were my car I would reposition the thinner red wire so it was clear of the insulated hold down bar and not resting on it.

Having the terminals next to the bulkhead could also be an issue if you don't have a battery box and the connectors on the terminals are close to the body of the car. Swings and roundabouts as they say.

Thanks both for your input - much appreciated

Keith

10 hours ago, iain said:

+1 for Yuasa 068. 

Rgds Ian

I would always try to keep the terminals on the bulkhead side.

As far as I am aware  most battery types are available in either configuration.

Bob

Edited by Lebro
9 hours ago, keith1948 said:

...The only issue is that the label cannot be seen facing the bulkhead...

Can't you just print an identical label and stick it where ever you like?

Just my contrariness maybe but I prefer NOT to see the label and have been known to peel them off ;).  Back in the day when sidescreen cars were new, most batteries didn't have big flashy sticky-labels anyway. 

Years ago it was favourite to remove all the labels and stick on repro Red and gold original period type "Lucas" labels on the visible portion ;)Label

I fail to understand why you want a visible modern label anyway.

Stuart.

3 hours ago, Charlie D said:

Can't you just print an identical label and stick it where ever you like?

Or pull the label off carefully and stick it on the other side.

Cheers Rich C-R

Wouldn't you normally fit the battery isolator to the -ve terminal?

David

Not if you have something which requires a permanant supply e.g.  trackers & some car radios.

Bob

I am currently considering this Yuasa battery It is 243mm long x 175W x 190H and is 62Ah and 550CCA. The terminals are recessed into the top and set back from the front so little chance of the hold down bracket touching where it shouldn't. My present battery is an 078 and 235 x 175 x 180 so similar size and 55Ah and 490CCA so similar rating. Price around £85. Personal preference is to have terminals engine side so they are easily accessible. The labels are not too flashy for a classic and the case is black so again a reasonable appearance. The Yuasa range seems to have a good reputation. 

Keith

image.png.b4643ce9015775a99ed1a6a86bb41b03.png

An alternative Halfords (also made by Yuasa apparently) for bulkhead terminals. At £65 plus TR discount a cheap alternative. This one has distilled water top up facility like the one in the car. 56Ah and 500CCA and 242 x 175 x 175 size is also similar.  Quite happy to hide this label! Interestingly it says recycle for free at Halfords but locally a scrap yard pays you for old batteries. Just need to be registered with them which I am.

Keith

image.png.1617f54d1a33e55bd9c74f8cbad85ab0.png

Hi 

I have a Lucas LP 072T battery in my 4, it is rated @ 70AH I bought it last year from my local Motor Factors (we do have an account there but they deal with Jo public also) I think it was about £68, the terminals are on the bulkhead away from the retaining strap with the + earth terminal on the nearside, it does have a white label on the front and a classic Lucas label on the top, could always get a sticker as Stuart suggested..

Phil...

On 5/2/2024 at 3:24 PM, Lebro said:

Not if you have something which requires a permanant supply e.g.  trackers & some car radios.

Bob

Would this not solve that problem ?

IMG_5902.png

Edited by TR Rob
Add picture

Yes, but just as easy to switch the live side, & connect the items you want always on to the battery side of switch

Bob