Took the car out for a decent drive today first time in Months up to Waddington and Ribchester. Before we set of filled up with fuel. gauge before fill up 1/8th full I don't usually run it that low. Fine going up there about 30 miles but with about 3 miles to go it started running rough wouldn't pull and occasionally under heavy load trying to clear it by running up to 5000 rpm it was flat with the odd misfire thru the carbs. In the end binned any idea of lunch got back to Whaley went in the country park for a comfort break whilst there checked plug leads on plug not loose then thinking back to the day it wouldn't start checked the 3 wires onto the coil they felt like  good connections. Started the car it ran fine all the way home although did feel slightly down on power at high revs, but at low revs example will pull cleanly from a 1000 rpm in 3rd. Including at least 2 steep climbs on the moors without issue. 

Once home checked everything again no problems. Spoke to the guy who tunned the engine a few months ago he is convinced its fuel, if it was electric it would have probably  cut out. Told me to look in the tank with a torch, I can see a small amount of rust on the seam of the tank at the bottom. Checked the priming glass bowl next to the mechanical fuel pump there doesn't seam to be any muck or small particles in that, checked the other filter before the fuel goes into the carbs again as usual half full although this is white plastic but you can see the fuel line,  there doesn't look like any sediments in that filter either.. Could it be by running it low on fuel its started to drag muck from the bottom of the tank. Some of the roads up in the posh part of Lancashire are pretty rough some biggish pot holes right across the road in places and unavoidable could hitting these cause sediments to float up and get sucked thru the system. I presume there is not filter inside the tank to check. 

Any suggestions. 

Phil

The 4A needs its little air bleed into the tank (Via the filler cap)  clear at all times.

It itr happens again - stop the car and quickly lift the filler cap and note if there was a sucking slurp as if air had rushed in.

Roger

Ok will try all those. Funnily enough when I cleaned the glass bowl out which is next to the the mechanical fuel pump It wouldn't start realised that fuel wasn't getting thru popped the fuel filler cap up and within seconds it started presume it had caused a partial vacuum. Marco the petrol filter in front of the carbs was changed last June and its only done a few hundred miles since then.

I still half think electric. The white wire which runs from the coil to the fuse box is stretched it obviously been cut back a few times during its life and although there is more than a few wires attaching it to the spade terminal and a good firm connection to the coil in my mind it does look a bit suspect. I might run a new wire all the way from the fuse box i don't like joining wires thinking in time to come are you not building up further problems so might just try a complete new wire. It seems strange that the last time this happened again I had driven about 30 miles. So partial vacuum in the tank could be the problem.

Thanks for your advice. 

Phil.

OK, unlikely it is the filter when it is from 2023.

When I had a problem "like" this I stopped the car and engine at once when it appeared,

unbolted the lits of the float chambers and found no petrol --> "not enough fuel" problem.

Ciao, Marco

Insides of the rubber connector hoses in the fuel supply line from the tank to pump to carbs failing and closing up due to ethanol in petrol?

When installing electronic ignition to my TR3a I ‘disturbed’ the white wire to the coil that you refer to. It was 60 years old and unbeknown to me had fractured inside the insulation at the coil terminal. This caused an issue when trying to start car, it would fire and then die. Interestingly when points were refitted engine ran but then on a test run after a stop car would not start at all.
Long story short, remade  the terminal connection refitted electronic ignition and the problem has never returned.

Worth checking or renewing that white wire !

Rob for the time it takes I will do that, Peter what you are suggesting makes sense, I will be putting the car on axle stands in the next few weeks that will give me a chance to inspect the fuel lines

Thanks.

I had just the same 

it was the failure of the rubber fuel pipe after the filter. Blockage to the needle valve in the carbs or restriction 

also the gasket to the filter bowl had been rubber that was also failing due to modern fuel

Posted (edited)

I think I might have maybe found the fuel starvation problem. Maybe!! Yesterday I jacked the back of the car up and put it on axle stands ( what a faff I am going to have to find a better way of getting this car up in the air) predominantly to see it the diff breather was working and not stuck down. It was fine nice and loose and would easily turn round without any force. Then I checked the fuel pipes.

I think somebody has been here before me all the fuel pipe clips which are the correct  ones look new the pipe which I tried along its full length resisted any squasing from my puny fingers. there was no evidence of it being soft.

The pipe has the following printed down it.0600-7,3x13-5x3 Cohline 2240. I carried on and checked all the pipe to the carbs all looked and felt new. I fact i think TRGB replaced fuel pipe from under the bulkhead to the carbs when they recommissioned the car last June. 

Today I checked both the glass filter attached to the mech fuel pump no sediment. the secondary filter before the fuel goes into the carbs. no sediment. took the carb tops of and found a very small amount of very fine sediment in both bowls. Cleaned that out. 

Car started straight away and tickover was good and constant.. Stopped the car, thought I will just have another look in the tank. I saw what looked like a small slug !!! in the bottom of the tank, It actually has the shape of a 1" deformed split pin.Its not metal because I tried to pick it up with one of those pencil magnets.and it wont attach. Its that light that poking in the tank with a barbecue skewer fashioned like a hook and the resulting small amount of waves is enough to move it, but its not floating. I am just wondering it its the rubber grommet you find round the edge of the fuel gauge float. 

Any way at the moment its run off I can't find it I think it's sulking in the corner of the tank.:mellow: I am just wondering if it moves about when you are driving and at some stage its ended up over the out take for the fuel pipe. therefore causing a partial blockage it certainly wasn't there the other day when I looked. Either way its going to have to come out so it looks like a fuel tank drain coming up. 

Phil.     

Edited by phil Dean

Hi Phil

Many split p[ins these days are Stainless (not magnetic)

Have you got one of those three pronged gripper things  I have one that is about 3 ft long (clearly no help to you).

Roger

Hello Phil

Use a length of clear plastic hose, put your finger over one end. Insert the other end into the fuel tank and find the 'slug'. Release your finger and petrol will come up the pipe. Put your finger over the end and hopefully you will be able to get the pipe out of the tank before the 'slug' escapes. If your pipe is long enough you could suck the petrol up but don't get it in your mouth. There are gadgets you can buy for siphoning petrol but a length of tube should be enough.

It may be something from the garage fuel pump/tank rather than something from the gasket.

From your description it sounds like you have the Cohline tube all the way from the tank to the engine bay or is it just from under the bulkhead. If you have metal pipe between tank and front of car then usually there is a rubber connection where the pipe runs along the nearside chassis almost above where the nearside drive shaft is located. Is that ok and also Cohline?

Keith

I see that Roger has beaten me to it regarding the suggestion of  a grabber thing. I successfully recovered all the bits of a locking petrol cap that fell into the tank of the Midget when it fell apart with one of these

image.thumb.png.1159b5080be8a60cf61ea63c1765ce84.png

Edited by Rod1883
Posted (edited)

Thanks for all your suggestions as usual, Keith I can't recall checking the piece of pipe near the half shaft but will do, however it looks like between TRGB and the previous owner the system has been gone thru and replaced. Roger  and Rod yes I,am just about to order one of those grabs of flea bay then I have just got to find out which corner of the tank the little bugger is hiding in.:wacko:

Phil.

Edited by phil Dean

They work well.

I have one (actually 2 as I lost the first one & then it turned up) just be careful not to dunk it in the fuel as they are unlikely to be sealed to fuel immersion and obviously have electrics for the sensor and LEDs.

I have come across a mechanic who used a match to provide light to see if he had fuel in the tank of a car he was working on. He got away with it after a stay on the burns unit.

1 hour ago, Andy Moltu said:

They work well.

I have one (actually 2 as I lost the first one & then it turned up) just be careful not to dunk it in the fuel as they are unlikely to be sealed to fuel immersion and obviously have electrics for the sensor and LEDs.

I have come across a mechanic who used a match to provide light to see if he had fuel in the tank of a car he was working on. He got away with it after a stay on the burns unit.

They are designed to be used in liquids as well so shouldnt be any problem. The Darwin effect obviously applied to the idiot with the match.

Stuart.

Found my i Phone in the Carp pond (don't put them in your shirt top pocket) with my endescope, luckily knew where it went in and 5 minutes searching in a grid pattern found it. No ill effects on the endescope.

Mick Richards

57 minutes ago, Motorsport Mickey said:

Found my i Phone in the Carp pond (don't put them in your shirt top pocket) with my endescope, luckily knew where it went in and 5 minutes searching in a grid pattern found it. No ill effects on the endescope.

Mick Richards

Better than loosing the Iphone from the hip pocket on the toilet :lol: 

Not happend to me, I only tell from a friend's mishap.

2 hours ago, Lebro said:

What about the IPhone?

Bob

It was c r a p ...Ha I see you" My little Pony" profanity filter...and I spit in your eye (carp ?...whatever).

Mick Richards

Edited by Motorsport Mickey

I have ordered an endoscope as well with a light and a small grab on it which is supposed to be liquid proof still not sure about putting it in fuel tho. I just thought I could have a good look round and see if anything else is lurking in that fuel tank. 

Phil

6 hours ago, phil Dean said:

I have ordered an endoscope as well with a light and a small grab on it which is supposed to be liquid proof still not sure about putting it in fuel tho. I just thought I could have a good look round and see if anything else is lurking in that fuel tank. 

Phil

I found a four inch length of the 'chrome' finisher for a windscreen seal in my tank.

Pete

11 hours ago, Motorsport Mickey said:

Mick Richards

Fuel and water are a different matter.  Both the solvent effect and the consequences of the electrics coming in contact with the fluid.

OK petrol needs a spark or a flame to ignite but better the two don’t make contact.