Why Can't Longstanding members access the forum

Have just been contacted by a longstanding forumite asking why he can't get into the forum.

He needs to sign in but it doesn't recognise his password.

Have we got too many members that we need to shed a few. !!!!!

Roger

Hello, is there anyone out there?
Have you all been locked out of this Forum?

Has there been a major outage problem here that only those of us who remain logged in are still here?

Is the contact phone number for Jo in the Office still 01256818866? 

Edited by SuzanneH

Still here, I wish someone would stop fiddling with this thing or at least have the courtesy to come on here and tell us whats going on.

Stuart.

Hi All,

Not sure what is going on other than there is obviously some "under construction" issues right now.  I haven't experienced any of them myself other than, as a moderator, having to pre-approve some posts last week.

As soon as I find out any news, I'll post information.  In the meantime, apologies to everyone who is having trouble - it's not intentional!!

Best,

Tim

Whole forum was down for a couple of hours this morning too so someone is still fiddling, I think it would be only polite for whoever is doing it to at least have the courtesy to come on here and let us know whats going on?

Stuart.

Only just got on I tried 3-4 times this morning to get on but no luck, probably time to stop trying and go do something in the garage, have a modem car that’s needs some work doing on it ( no problem getting on that  fourm )

Mike Redrose Group 

Can, whoever is working in the background, please update the forum members with what you have been doing.

It is not a Gremlin but a human.  Show the members some respect, please.

Roger

I have to say that I have had no problems, but, I am also, still, permanently logged in to the forum.

I now am not going to navigate away from the forum pages, in case I'm locked out.

It would be helpful if someone could explain what's happening, just think, if we, the users understood, then maybe we could help by reporting back, issues and successes, maybe, maybe, helping to sort the problem out

Not sure if this is of any use to members but about Aug / Sept last year I was experiencing the same problem locked out of the forum …….da de da … finally solved by Jo / Phil Horsley, then I used a facility in Google Chrome which saved my details and now I can logon to the Forum using my right hand thumb print on my iPad, not sure the procedure for my PC as I tend not to use it much anymore.

Edited by B Fitzpatrick

I use iPhone and iPad to access this forum and have had no difficulty or obstacles, all works as usual. just wondering if it’s a platform/ operating system base issue?

but as per the other thread in out and about !!!!

google searching for forum content doesn’t work for me.

there is an IT chap in Australia that keeps a UK sideways related site going admirably 

perhaps we could enquire if he would add this site to his management - not sure he would as he is busy with commercial business clients 

worth asking though ??!

All the "it's OK for me" people are obviously just staying logged in (as am I) . This happens because your machine holds cookies which contain the log-in credentials. If you just leave the site but do not log out, these are retained so you can just get straight in next time. There has not been any problem with that.

The forum problem is for people who are NOT logged in this way, or who deliberately log-out after every session.  It also affects casual surfers looking for information. To see the forums you must first be logged in - so the casual visitors and the web-crawlers which register pages for the search engines like Google cannot see them at all, hence why Google searches no longer work. 

On top of that, yesterday the whole site was out of action for a couple of hours. Perhaps you just didn't try to access it during that time. 

Also I seem to recall there was a time - about a couple of years ago I think - when we all had to re-confirm log in passwords. Anyone who was registered once but hasn't visited since before then, will probably not be registered properly any more.

Edited by RobH

It's lucky we have people running the show that know what they are doing.   

Am I being facetious - yes.    Somebody is doing something behind the scenes and causing chaos to the members and the TRR reputation.

Hiding the TRR under cover is not good when you need new members.

Get it sorted.

Roger 

6 hours ago, RogerH said:

It's lucky we have people running the show that know what they are doing.   

Am I being facetious - yes.    Somebody is doing something behind the scenes and causing chaos to the members and the TRR reputation.

Hiding the TRR under cover is not good when you need new members.

Get it sorted.

Roger 

Best content the office then roger so they know. As The powers that be may not use the forum so won’t get the massage that something is up..

28 minutes ago, Hamish said:

Best content the office then roger so they know. As The powers that be may not use the forum so won’t get the massage that something is up..

They will only deem it as another “ Conspiracy Theory”. :ph34r:

3 hours ago, Hamish said:

I contacted the Office when it happened to me regrettably I’m still awaiting a reply.

• 2 weeks later...

I am can only get on with iPad and not iPhone, go to Tr Register let’s you in go to forum and I only get photos below. When I do it on the iPhone it doesn’t register me on the who’s on line list.

Mike Redrose Group 

IMG_0345.png

IMG_0346.png

It still isn't possible to see the forums unless you are signed in, if that is what you mean Tim.  All you can see is a list of completely useless 'status updates' . 

Hi all,

This has now been fixed. Please logout and then have a look at the forum: the technical forum is now visible again to the public. Google will now re-index the technical forum so that it shows up again on searches. This will take a bit of time.

Thanks for your patience,

Mick