that's new: no content find from the UK TR-Forum searching the web

Viewing this forum is still locked for all who are not registered and not locked in:

Google, other web browsers, interested visitors, links on other websites guiding to information at this forum.

Just let all look in without effort, or is this „club members only“?

On 2/23/2024 at 3:37 PM, Mick Forey said:

now looking at why our forum does not come up on a Google search of any TR techical issue, logged in or not. Bizzare.

Nothing bizzare about it Mick - if the forums cannot be accessed without signing in then the Google web-crawlers can't see them either and so they don't get listed.  

4 hours ago, RogerH said:

It's nice to know that those that should - don't

The TRR spend money trying to get their face out there to attract new members. They should know that Google is our friend.

Roger

Obviously not :rolleyes:

Stuart.

On 2/23/2024 at 7:58 AM, John Morrison said:

I just clicked on Peters link and went straight there?

John.

Log yourself out of the forum and delete all the cookies of your browser, so it does not automatically log you in to the forum.

3 hours ago, brenda said:

Usually do one click on my iPad to get into the forum, but today I got this (photo below) I noe have to type in the full title to get into the register then find the forum site that way.

That’s strange, the only access I use is my iPad or occasionally my iPhone and nothing but nothing has changed for me in spite of all the shenanigans last week. I get straight in to the Forum every time.

james

11 minutes ago, james christie said:

That’s strange, the only access I use is my iPad or occasionally my iPhone and nothing but nothing has changed for me in spite of all the shenanigans last week. I get straight in to the Forum every time.

Probably because you get logged back in automatically by retained cookies James.  The problem is seen by people who are not logged in, i.e non-members or those who clear cookies after each session.  

The whole forum was down as unavailable for a couple of hours here this morning so I take it someone is fiddling under the bonnet again. :angry:

Stuart.

Well, I am in two very conflicting camps now.

Not having the ability to view forum content without logging-in is both good and bad.

Bad as it stops passing enthusiasts from getting a taste of the wealth of info our forum contains. Good as it stops the faceless web crawlers that harvest any detail that may be of use to their nefarious purposes.

i have in the last couple of weeks had my email address typed into and thus displayed on an American located Triumph car forum, not by me I may add.  Since that display of my email address I have been deluged with junk, spam and scams in my email in box.   This is not unlike the old days 25 years ago, when I joined ‘pistonheads’  and eventually chose to abandon my email address after the overwhelming receipt of inappropriate emails selling enlargements, tablets, surgical procedures and foreign brides.   Today it is a simple one click ‘block sender’ but that is an after the event technique.   It does trap the multiple daily senders who want me to pay PayPal invoices I do not owe, get my Google ranking raised or reset my bank of Texas password.  

Privacy is a sought after thing these days.

Hi Peter,

sadly the benefit of a forum with the need for register and sign in is limited,

because all web browsers will not do this and will not find any content.

Currently I browsed "LT77 Triumph TR" and got hits to the USA but not to the UK Register.

Ciao, Marco

Edited by Z320
  • 2 weeks later...

The block is still in place.   Is it a health and safety issue to protect the wider world from our knowledge?

This is the outcome of a search for ‘tr register forum chassis strengthening’

IMG_2532.png

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

Currently,

if I don’t know about the forum,

lucky to find the TR Register Uk,

there is not even an notice about any TR forum.

Browsing the web: still zero fount content 

To be fair chaps it's not just our website and forum that has these issues, every time Microsoft do an enforced update they b!!!!er my laptop up for days.

We had the same issues when I was working , management introduced a new system where everything was moved to tablet based paperwork job details the lot. it never worked properly in the 12 months until I retired, we always needed to us our mobiles at some point.

It seems that the ultra clever programmers are too clever for our good, simple is often best so no wonder our office is struggling to get things sorted. Computer programs are not designed to be fixed by mere mortals:angry:

Bri

51 minutes ago, brian -r said:

To be fair chaps it's not just our website and forum that has these issues

The issue of having a 'closed' forum invisible to visitors (and to Google)  is entirely down to settings made by our web-page designer.  

It is  nothing to do with your machine nor with Micosoft. 

34 minutes ago, RobH said:

The issue of having a 'closed' forum invisible to visitors (and to Google)  is entirely down to settings made by our web-page designer.  

It is  nothing to do with your machine nor with Micosoft. 

Agreed Rob, The point I was trying to make was that it seems to be the norm for anything to do with computer programs/ settings to be a total pain in the rear.

Even the big tech outfits can't get it right first time these days.

22 minutes ago, brian -r said:

Even the big tech outfits can't get it right first time these days.

In my experience most if them never get it right, Brian. :rolleyes:   And if they do accidentally get it right, they soon change it again.:unsure:

My Wordpress blog site is closed to Google from my choice as it makes it easier to eliminate spammers. I get a response once every blue moon. For the Register to hide its skills base from Google will be a disaster.

As for MS I am still using Win7, and have not suffered updates for years !!

Peter

42 minutes ago, Peter Cobbold said:

My Wordpress blog site is closed to Google from my choice as it makes it easier to eliminate spammers. I get a response once every blue moon. For the Register to hide its skills base from Google will be a disaster.

As for MS I am still using Win7, and have not suffered updates for years !!

Peter

Both MS and Google no longer support W7.  I think W7 is very good.

Roger

My main (mini tower) PC is running Win 7, it is almost as good as XP was !  Am running Norton to take care of viruses etc.

Laptop is on Win 10. Dont like it much, every time I switch it on (not all that often) I have wait up to an hour for it to stop updating, so I can get some sense out of it.

Bob 

Edited by Lebro