EFI on the Triumph Six cylinder

Recently , someone asked about ways to install EFI on a TR6, but I cannot find that post!
Whoever, they may like to look at the Standard Triumph Experimental Department page on Facebook, Standard Triumph Experimental Department | 2.5PI Electronic Fuel Injection - anyone know why this development didn't get taken any further | Facebook 

Today this picture has appeared of a saloon, I presume 2.5L, fitted with a common rail EFi system.    Some relevant comments are under it.

image.png.aafa14d852d0d97300f76d7f436e25f0.png

Hello John,

Have a look at my article in TR Action Issue 317 which describes fitting EFI. After a further rolling road mapping session the TR managed 33 mpg at 70mph heading to the Loire Valley in France during September last year, with no exhaust smells or problems in heavy traffic and ferry queues. There was pain, cost and down hearted times getting there but it was well worth it in the end.

Ian

AVZm1Ha5S%GqYClZicVAuw.jpg

Thank you, both who replied!    I don't want to this, but thought it interesting that Triumph tried it, In the day.  Maybe your suggestions will help the guy who asked!

John

17 hours ago, The horseman said:

Hello John,

Have a look at my article in TR Action Issue 317 which describes fitting EFI. After a further rolling road mapping session the TR managed 33 mpg at 70mph heading to the Loire Valley in France during September last year, with no exhaust smells or problems in heavy traffic and ferry queues. There was pain, cost and down hearted times getting there but it was well worth it in the end.

Ian

AVZm1Ha5S%GqYClZicVAuw.jpg

Hi Ian,

Very good, and you will certainly benefit if you use the car, like a see you do here.  I had my car converted to EFI successfully back in 2017. It was the full Emerald kit, with Jenvey throttle bodies, and their K6 ECU.  I have covered over 30k miles, and it has been excellent. 

To get back to John's original post the Lucas EFI shown in the first post was completed in 1970, some nearly 54 years ago, and shown on Tomorrows World on the 8th January 1971!  Does anyone remember this, unlikely methinks? The development car also featured an anti-lock breaking system, cruise control, contactless ignition and an electronic speed limiter. All of these are now taken for granted. It was also noted that the EFI would have met the prosed 1974 Federal and California regulations. Why did Triumph not take it forward at the time, I can only assume cost and in any case in 1970 they were already looking at the TR6 and big saloon successors.

So have we made much progress in the past 54 years, well sort of in that there are or two EFI systems such as the Emerald that are readily available to fit to your TR6.

Derek

58 minutes ago, TRTOM2498PI said:

Hi Richard,

What did you end up going for ?

Cheers.

Hi Tom,

I bought the intake manifold from Ramtech in the U.S. and the electrical wizardry from Kevin at EFI for Classic Cars, still a work in progress. I'd definitely have opted for the Jenvey throttle bodies had it been available. 

Richard. 

To me the Jenvey ones in the pictures above, shows with the yellow caps,  to be the fuel supply line, so where do they get the vacuum from for the brakes, presumable the MU isnt used any more.

John

23 hours ago, saffrontr said:

To get back to John's original post the Lucas EFI shown in the first post was completed in 1970, some nearly 54 years ago, and shown on Tomorrows World on the 8th January 1971!  Does anyone remember this, unlikely methinks?

Yes. I don't remember the broadcast but someone posted a link to the video which was on Youtube or elsewhere on the web. I've forgotten which forum I saw this. Might have been the 2000 Register - it's so long ago ... The video doesn't come up with a quick search.

Cheers, Richard

PS: Found it! "1971: Is this the CAR of the FUTURE? | Tomorrow’s World | Retro Tech | BBC Archive"

Here's the link because I can NEVER remember how to embed a video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Woz270D1HE

Bonnet shot starts at about 3:45.

Edited by Spit_2.5PI

You have several options throttle options. 

The new bespoke Jenvey manifold/throttle body kit.

Modified standard inlet/throttle bodies. (DIY or from fredmillturn)

Weber style inlet manifolds mated to DCOE fit throttle bodies (from Jenvey but good copies from China used by the Nissan 240s etc) As well as Jenvey heritage throttle bodies which look like Webers.

All of the above can be mated to your chosen ECU, tps temp sensors etc. Emerald seems to be a favourite and has a built-in atmospheric pressure sensor.

Just in the research stage so not done it myself yet. 

2 hours ago, Andy Moltu said:

You have several options throttle options. 

The new bespoke Jenvey manifold/throttle body kit.

Modified standard inlet/throttle bodies. (DIY or from fredmillturn)

Weber style inlet manifolds mated to DCOE fit throttle bodies (from Jenvey but good copies from China used by the Nissan 240s etc) As well as Jenvey heritage throttle bodies which look like Webers.

All of the above can be mated to your chosen ECU, tps temp sensors etc. Emerald seems to be a favourite and has a built-in atmospheric pressure sensor.

Just in the research stage so not done it myself yet. 

I got the whole package from Emerald, including the Cannon inlet manifold. I went for Jenvey throttle bodies, but the Jenvey Heritage look good.  They were not available when I purchased all the kit back in 2017, nor the bespoke Jenvey manifold/throttle body kit, just released.

Any questions, just ask.

Cheers.

It is nice to see both the increased interest and the increased availability of EFI solutions. The Jenvey offerings of three different approaches are very nice. Ramtech is also a good option, looks a lot like the Teglerizer intake. With well over a decade of experience with my installation my observations are, crank fired ignition is a worthwhile endeavor, sequential injection was an improvement (cam sensor maybe needed), not all O2 sensor systems are created equal, and lastly, for me, robust knock sensing is an area that needs much investigation. The picture is from 2011?2012? original installation.

IMAG0416.jpg

I explored this recently but the cost of the Emerald kit is (in my opinion) prohibitively expensive.  By the time you factor in dyno work (and ignoring the instillation costs) you will be well over £6,000 for the 'basic' kit.  

Yes the cost is a main consideration but it was an itch that I needed to scratch way back in time when I had my then TR6.Wind forwards a few years or so and I thought now or never. I drove Jerry Vincents TR5 with his home brewed EFI and I was hooked. First version(2010) was single throttle and converted the original Throttle bodies to accept Bosch injectors and fuel rail. Emerald ECU and hardware software from them. They looked after me and talked through the problems I was facing. I ran this fault free till 2019

and then fitted the Jenvey Heritage throttle bodies because I loved the look and performance.

Always reliable.

Horses for corses.

Regards Harry

20141117_201757_1.jpg

20201211_120700_resized.jpg