12 minutes ago, Nigel Triumph said:

I've always used EP90 gear oil, as per workshop manual, injected via a grease gun. 

Nigel

Indeed - has always worked well for me

……. Andy

Grease for me.

A lot of repro trunnions are not well sealed around the “cap” at the bottom and oil will drain out.

Why Triumph swapped from grease to semi-fluid grease/gear oil is unclear. 

2 hours ago, Z320 said:

Best with this trunnions is to use anything regularly 

Now that is good practical advice :)

On 1/4/2024 at 8:21 PM, Z320 said:

Best with this trunnions is to use anything regularly 

I agree. Modern greases don't dry out and go hard like they did in the 50s. 

Although not a TR6 my experience with my daily driver TR2 front suspension is relevant.

I rebuilt this car between 1980 and 83. It has done well over 200,000 miles (320,000 kms) since.

The trunnions, top ball joints, idler and tie rod ends are what I fitted back in the early 80s. They are still in fine condition. I apply a grease gun to everything at least a couple of times a year, whenever the front wheels are off.

Edited by John McCormack

Also check first that the nipples will let either pass as they often block / seize giving the impression that they are full

The key is to lube regularly. I'm in the grease camp. Twice a year even if you have done negligible mileage and don't skimp, over filling with oil or grease helps to push or wash out any grit or debris that might have got past the seal.

If you opt for oil you need to be sure the trunnions are sealed at the bottom "cap"  as it won't stick around like grease. Many repros in the past weren't great.