tyre age

We have had a few incidences of TRs spinning  off the road due to old tyres. They get old well before worn down on the tread as we not use the enough.

It breaks my heart to see ten year old Tyres

With oodles of tread left on them but unsafe to use.

My local tyre shop Discount Tyres Hemel Hempstead policy is to slash the sidewalls to stop them going to the part worn brigade outfits which I find commendable.

Must check my now very expensive Vredestien Sprint Classics which must be close to changing.

But to what! 185x15x70 is my thing.

Regards Harry

This is one of the reasons I use mass produced 195/65R15's, stocks of these tyres are relatively cheap and fresh ,  besides their being just as good as anything else for the driving habits of most of us.

Edited by Mike C

Harry I have just been looking at tyres for my car and I found Continental ContiEcoContact 6 185 65 R15 - they are rated a for fuel economy a for grip and are 70bd for noise £88 each fully fitted from National Tyres and if you replace all 4 they are giving 10 percent off at the moment - so total £352 inc fitting- I quite fancy them.

Edited by michaeldavis39

Hi there,

If I might be permitted to join in....I have a TR5. My car is fitted with 2005 BF Goodrich Profiler 2 tyres and I am planning to replace them for the reasons given here. The size is 195/65 R15 and I find the steering heavy at low speed. I have been advised to switch to 185/70 R15 tyres to improve this. I am looking at Blockley tyres. Has anyone had any experience of these? Also, legally, do I need to change the spare wheel tyre to 185/70 R15 or can it stay at 195/65 R15?

Thanks

Denis

On 12/29/2023 at 10:35 AM, rimmer said:

Looks like l will be looking for some new tyres then cheers for your replys got 2,3 months to sort them out as not useing the car at the moment

Rob

Make sure you check the " manufactured " dates on any new tyres you buy.

9 hours ago, DenisMc said:

Hi there,

If I might be permitted to join in....I have a TR5. My car is fitted with 2005 BF Goodrich Profiler 2 tyres and I am planning to replace them for the reasons given here. The size is 195/65 R15 and I find the steering heavy at low speed. I have been advised to switch to 185/70 R15 tyres to improve this. I am looking at Blockley tyres. Has anyone had any experience of these? Also, legally, do I need to change the spare wheel tyre to 185/70 R15 or can it stay at 195/65 R15?

Thanks

Denis

You can leave the spare at !95, as long as you leave it in the boot, the minute you fit it to the car, 

then yes thats illegal. Many cars these days do run smaller profile spares, many discussions here, and the excuse is always sited 

that modern Space saver tyres are OK. Its not the same argument, but you could always ask your insurer.

John.

DenisMc going from 195 to 185 would mean you have just over three quarters of an inch reduction in rubber between the two tyres to turn so would help turning the steering when going slow- 185 was the original width on USA cars- UK cars were originally fitted with 165 so clearly if you want your steering to be as light as possible this would be the optimum size for you.

Edited by michaeldavis39

Err...just to bear in mind with standard cambers on the front you'll have probably up to an inch of each 195 section tyre not even touching the tarmac, and if it does the major tyre print and grip is developed by the inner edge of the tyre.

Original tyre sections allowed a rounder section tyre which original cambers presents better to the road, and as I've said allows the car to exhibit handling (tyre deformation rolling the tyre contact patch across the tyre, still allowing control) rather than the squarer section tyres exhibiting grip, and now you don't have it. Some drivers prefer one characteristic over the other, and especially because the squarer section 195 fits how modern drivers consider a performance tyre looks.

Mick Richards

2 years ago fitted the Michelin tyres as quoted above and got a really good price when ATS were doing an incredibly cheap offer.

Very happy with them although don’t do much spirited driving with them these days.

In the past have always used Pirelli Cinturatos but price is now prohibitive.

195 65 R15 used on many modern cars so can always get a good price on these.

Nigel

Hi All,

Thank you for your helpful suggestions. Having done some research into how tyres age I understand that they become stiffer and less compliant with time. As mentioned, my tyres are dated 2005. Could this explain why my steering is heavy at low speed rather than the tyres being the wider section 195/65 R15?

Denis

Might be worth checking the tracking and front wheel alignment as this will have some impact on the steering feel/weight.

Andy

10 hours ago, DenisMc said:

Hi All,

Thank you for your helpful suggestions. Having done some research into how tyres age I understand that they become stiffer and less compliant with time. As mentioned, my tyres are dated 2005. Could this explain why my steering is heavy at low speed rather than the tyres being the wider section 195/65 R15?

Denis

I have no low speed steering problems with 195/65R15's. What tyre pressures are you using?

"I have no low speed steering problems with 195/65R15's."

If you compare them against standard spec tyres...TR4 165 80 series or TR5 with 185 you notice the difference, even if you have road pressures at 28F 30R. Depends upon how much it bothers you.

Mick Richards

Hi Mick and Mike,

I use a tyre pressure of 30psi all around the car. The previous owner advised it. Mike, what pressures do you use?

Thanks,

Denis

Edited by DenisMc

28psi front, 30 psi rear. My suspension has been modified a fair bit but that shouldn't have much effect on steering effort.

I'm used to driving vehicles without power assist and I've driven better and worse cars in this respect than the TR  . Following on with Mick's comment- the low speed steering doesn't  bother me, but its your car-if you're uncomfortable with the 195's you probably should look at other tyre options.

If you haven't had your steering geometry checked for a while, getting a wheel alignment may help.

Edited by Mike C

Thanks again for your helpful suggestions. I found this article from 2016 yesterday, which is quite interesting:

http://redirect.viglink.com/?key=63364c64c1bea2953642596e66a2463a&subId=2095273&u=https%3A//www.cinturato.net/images/test-classic-tyres-0716.pdf

Denis

On 12/30/2023 at 12:12 AM, Mike C said:

Make sure you check the " manufactured " dates on any new tyres you buy.

Definitely - but do it before you purchase.

Tyre sellers have a code they need to follow but are allowed to sell tyres as 'new' up to 3 years after they are manufactured. I got caught a while ago with this very situation, a pair of new tyres delivered to me were in fact 2 yrs & 10 months old. So they cleared what most would consider to be old stock at new tyre prices, not even a discount was offered.

Be careful buying online, 2 or 3 years of the life of your new tyres could have expired before they even get onto you car!

Bob