20 minutes ago, Black Forest TR3A said:

Nice work!

BTW: It pays to have the grille at hand and to adjust the front apron to the grille (not vice versa) to avoid a bulbous or konkave grille.

TR 23 040.jpg

Correct! Especially so if using either a new grille or even one from another car.

Stuart.

24 minutes ago, stuart said:

Correct! Especially so if using either a new grille or even one from another car.

Stuart.

And add some extra space around it for the paint.   Plus ensure the fixings are in place and are functional

Thanks Guys, 

don't think I have any concerns about grill fit, because I built everything around the grill I plan to use;-

First I made a wooded buck, that would allow me to make a full, single peice apron bottom.

IMG_1016.jpg.72255c0f7642e920e56ae49726d52a31.jpgIMG_1015.jpg.d026b4b48c8f0921bbaa956d1f1350b5.jpg This was formed around the grill I intend to use on the carIIIMG_1017.jpg.c734651f6997b618ff40819d020cb287.jpgI

In the end I decided I only really needed the corners remade.

This all started with a post from the late Don Elliot from Montreal, here on our forum, showing what he needed to have manufactered

for his own Tr3A.

John.

Good work John. Well thought out buck, trouble is you won’t want to break it down when you completed your panels. !

Mick Richards

That’s a very useful resource for other restorers.
Perhaps it’s time for a “Tools Loan” post, if people are prepared to share? It would save a lot of time for others and stop the: having to reinvent the wheel. 

That’s lovely work John. Well done.

John’s buck takes the biscuit I think but here’s a piece I made for my TR6 using a hand made hammer form die. Further to Iain’s point anyone wants a loan they’re more than welcome and fair warning the reproduction part is only £130, don’t know what that makes me, nuts I suppose, but it’s good practice for the pieces that can’t be bought. 

IMG_6562.jpeg

IMG_6563.jpeg

On 12/23/2023 at 2:47 PM, iain said:

That’s a very useful resource for other restorers.
Perhaps it’s time for a “Tools Loan” post, if people are prepared to share? It would save a lot of time for others and stop the: having to reinvent the wheel. 

Think that’s absolutely correct Iain - certainly won’t be chopping anything up when done 

John

On 12/24/2023 at 1:52 PM, TRier said:

John’s buck takes the biscuit I think but here’s a piece I made for my TR6 using a hand made hammer form die. Further to Iain’s point anyone wants a loan they’re more than welcome and fair warning the reproduction part is only £130, don’t know what that makes me, nuts I suppose, but it’s good practice for the pieces that can’t be bought. 

IMG_6562.jpeg

IMG_6563.jpeg

Lovely work there pal. I'm thinking we met at spares day last year?

truth is I find this bodywork stuff quite theraputic - guess we are similar?

Regards

John.

8 hours ago, John Morrison said:

Lovely work there pal. I'm thinking we met at spares day last year?

truth is I find this bodywork stuff quite theraputic - guess we are similar?

Regards

John.

We did indeed John and you treated me well and gave me great encouragement. It is therapeutic, that said I’ve never made a buck as complex as that one you made for the front panel, I know how the process works but it’s a big undertaking. I’ll be at Stoneleigh this year again, be nice to meet up. Got some great parts there last year.