ULEZ - not the rant you might be expecting!

On 9/19/2023 at 9:16 AM, Ian Vincent said:

ULEZ is not about climate change, it’s about air quality so maybe he’s not being quite such a hypocrite.  When I next venture into London though it will be in my high CO2 and climate changing but ULEZ compliant 2006 petrol car and not my low CO2 diesel.

Rgds Ian

Conundrum 

Drive the car for nothing that heats up the planet and takes away the thing the polar bear stands on 

or. 

Pay to drive the car that that might give the polar bear a cough?

This all assumes the volcanoes stop doing what they do naturally of course

Unless yo go around sucking exhaust pipes for fun then the air quality has never been as good since the 1950's. There's more people probably dying from the effects of vaping judging by the amount of smoke coming out of some cars windows!

IMO it's simply about another future income stream for when we are all electric. The cameras etc will switch to cost/mile plus road tax with no improvement to public transport to be seen especially up here in the North.  

1 hour ago, RogerH said:

Hi Andy,

it is stated in our local (West London) paper that Ghengis has no plans for charge by mile.

It must be true as he is a politician.

Roger

But given the camera infrastructure that will be not earning from those nasty polluting vehicles, congestion charges are the obvious next income stream.  
sticky tape your number plate I hear many suggest.   And why not?

13 hours ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

But given the camera infrastructure that will be not earning from those nasty polluting vehicles, congestion charges are the obvious next income stream.  
sticky tape your number plate I hear many suggest.   And why not?

Or a horse and carriage that will really be a Green solution with the bonus methane and muck for all those nice vegetarian dishes!

I’m beginning to come round to his way of thinking improving air quality for Londoners and for me when I go to London in my TR6 can’t be bad, Getting polluting cars off the road can’t be a bad thing either and  it’s clearly working. It seems loads of people are parting with their polluting vehicles just like my sister in Law getting rid of her Old Ford, for a new petrol MG as has my niece.  Supporting local businesses while increasing imports here, helping the Chinese economy and likely increasing inflation here in the UK.
It could even will help businesses and China in the future, should they be required to sell those, to purchase a  mandated electric battery driven vehicles, thereby providing ongoing work for those underpaid individuals mining lithium in far away countries and help with that countries ability to fund there interest payments as they are currently heavily financed by China as is the rest of the world it seems.

For those that can’t afford replacing there unhealthy vehicles, well London has an excellent bus and underground network, so they can use that, they shouldn’t be overly effected by the dangerous levels of Co2 in underground’s as they will be use to high levels of Co2 when driving in their air polluting vehicles. Plus look at the savings they will make, not having to buy fuel, Insurance and motor tax, now each individual family members will be using the cheap London transport available surely a win win situation as I see it.

Edited by Misfit
1 hour ago, Misfit said:

I’m beginning to come round to his way of thinking improving air quality for Londoners and for me when I go to London in my TR6 can’t be bad, Getting polluting cars off the road can’t be a bad thing either and  it’s clearly working. It seems loads of people are parting with their polluting vehicles just like my sister in Law getting rid of her Old Ford, for a new petrol MG as has my niece.  Supporting local businesses while increasing imports here, helping the Chinese economy and likely increasing inflation here in the UK.
It could even will help businesses and China in the future, should they be required to sell those, to purchase a  mandated electric battery driven vehicles, thereby providing ongoing work for those underpaid individuals mining lithium in far away countries and help with that countries ability to fund there interest payments as they are currently heavily financed by China as is the rest of the world it seems.

For those that can’t afford replacing there unhealthy vehicles, well London has an excellent bus and underground network, so they can use that, they shouldn’t be overly effected by the dangerous levels of Co2 in underground’s as they will be use to high levels of Co2 when driving in their air polluting vehicles. Plus look at the savings they will make, not having to buy fuel, Insurance and motor tax, now each individual family members will be using the cheap London transport available surely a win win situation as I see it.

On ya bike.:rolleyes:

2 hours ago, SuzanneH said:

On ya bike.:rolleyes:

I really hope that is a carbon neutral bike and when riding it you don't breathe out any CO2. Interesting thought - if all Londoners swapped cars for cycling how much CO2 would they emit and would they be penalised under ULEZ. Just a random thought

Keith

22 hours ago, RogerH said:

t is stated in our local (West London) paper that Ghengis has no plans for charge by mile.

It must be true as he is a politician.

Politician:- /: polly-tish-un

noun. A self serving lying tripe hound.

16 hours ago, keith1948 said:

I really hope that is a carbon neutral bike and when riding it you don't breathe out any CO2. Interesting thought - if all Londoners swapped cars for cycling how much CO2 would they emit and would they be penalised under ULEZ. Just a random thought

Keith

Remember ULEZ doesn’t penalise CO2 emissions, only nox. 

Rgds Ian

On 8/19/2023 at 9:43 PM, ntc said:

Nope my house they say all solicitors will now ask for this and I am challenging it but I have been told it’s not worth it I don’t know what has changed in the law but I know many others are getting caught out with this, maybe something to do with the electric car role out 

I fully agree with RobH  but you’ve not really provided enough information to comment further e.g. clarifying whether it your own house or something you rent out, and whether you are having an EV charger installed.  Technically the law has changed little for decades where safety is the main criteria, other than Part P of the building regulations and for landlords where ‘The Electrical Safety Standards in the Private Rented Sector (England) Regulations 2020’ now apply.   What I can say is that there is a lot of misunderstanding of the subject and a lot of poorly educated or even dodgy electricians around.   Here’s a post  and another on the IET forum and here’s a querying post from a landlord on an electricians forum.  You might find many similar queries on that forum.  Here’s a post by electricians specifically discussing the Regulations.  For EV chargers there is a new code of practice as per this link

edit: I have just noted a possible intention for electrical inspection and testing at the change of ownership as per this link. but that’s not law yet.

Paul

Edited by PaulAnderson

I would no want an ecar anywhere near my dwelling until fire safety has been fully regulated.

https://theconversation.com/lithium-ion-battery-fires-are-a-growing-public-safety-concern-heres-how-to-reduce-the-risk-209359

When relatively fresh batteries can ingnite, what is the added risk from aged batteries subect to the hammering from driving ?

"thermal runaway" in a fraction of a second....................not in my garage.

Peter

As I said they don’t need to make it law, Surveyors are now asking for one to be done to cover themselves and Solicitors are requesting it for buyers. I have spoken to them about it and they said it is down to too many diy bogies with self fitting of solar panels and car charging points.

Fire safety is regulated at the point of installation but more and there’d probably be complaints of a nanny state. The problem is that people do DIY work, or don’t maintain their home electrical installations which is something all house owners control.  Or they can employ a poor electrician if they do - blame the deregulation and withdrawal of decent apprenticeships for that if you like.

As a comparison, here’s an article in the same theconversation publication showing how petrol and diesel car fires are twenty times higher than that of EV’s.

For interest, here’s a Post  on thermal runaways on an EV forum.   Here’s another discussing a fire that had occurred associated with an EV charger.  As is discussed, the root cause was a poor electrical installation.  What you also see is people charging EV’s from standard socket outlets including using extension leads, neither of which are safe or compliant with the wiring regulations.  You need an outside socket that has been specifically designed for EV charging and installed by a competent person.   Extension leads are not allowed. 

Part of the issue as I see it is the overwhelming anti EV stance in some of the mainstream press.   I get most of my news on the news app on my iPad and it’s sickening how much bias and misinformation on EV’s there is.   The Sun ( an appalling rag) for instance keeps repeating a story of thousands of premium cars being damaged in a ferry fire being caused by an EV.  After multiple repeat articles or mentions of that story they added near the bottom of a long article that the EV’s were all intact on a lower floor of the ferry but it was still under the huge font headline that it was EV’s that caused the fire.  Here’s a discussion of another story from The Express and another reference to The Sun

I don’t have an EV, but would consider one as my daily.

Paul

Edited by PaulAnderson
  • 2 weeks later...

I was in France on The 9 th September.   TFL charged me for driving in the emission zone for that day.  So that was wrong.

They have sent me an explanation that their system had an error and they will refund my electronic debit by cheque.   Why can they not refund me electronically as that is how they stole my money in the first place?

Call me old fashioned but I think their reason to refund by cheque is a deliberate ploy to not refund the money, as there are no banks to deposit cheques in and the banking app refuses to accept the bank cheque that is sent by post.   

I have received the cheque, and guess, as I suspected,  it is of a size that my banking app will not photograph and therefore not accept to deposit. ( perhaps the bank are also bandits)   The app has asked me if I am disabled and suggests I contact my local branch.     I have to use an app as my bank has enhanced my banking experience by closing my local branch.

So do I now have to go to a physical branch of my bank in my car at the cost of £12.50 to tfl to deposit the cheque?

You know what?    I shall go to the post office.

Come the revolution they are all up against the wall.  

IMG_1946.jpeg