Garage heating recommendations

True if the exhaust gases aren't vented to the outside. The dry heat of either electrical or water filled radiators would avoid this. That said having good insulation first is just as important.

On 2/17/2022 at 1:31 PM, john.r.davies said:

I use a Clarke "Little Devil" gas heater.   Very noisy, but most effective.

+1 on the Little Devil space heater, use a small 6KG gas bottle, brilliant 

13 hours ago, PodOne said:

True if the exhaust gases aren't vented to the outside. The dry heat of either electrical or water filled radiators would avoid this. That said having good insulation first is just as important.

CO2 will do you no harm - you have 5% of it in your blood anyway!   CO(1) is pretty toxic, but I don't believe in a sealed garage.   A well ventilated one ( loosely fitted doors) will ensure no condensation and minimise the CO risk. The gas heater if properly adjusted will produce no CO, until the O2 in the space is used up!

I picked up one of these Corona paraffin heaters many years ago when it was on offer in B&Q.  The fuel is not as cheap as it used to be, however it does kick out plenty of heat and small and light enough to move around the garage to where it's needed.

https://www.base-camp.co.uk/Wick stoves lanterns & heaters/Corona picture.htm

Steve

One of these self contained diesel heaters

eBay item number:

Neighbour has one in his shed, uses an old car battery on a trickle charger for power supply, though could be run direct from mains with a 12v adapter. Exhaust is routed to the outside through a small hole drilled in wall. Runs for hours on a litre of red diesel and gives out a massive blast of really hot air when run at Max (5kw)

Benefit is it is dry heat, so no condensation that you get with such as propane heaters.

Downside is it is not really movable once installed but air could be ducted around the garage with some suitable piping.

Ralph

2 hours ago, stillp said:

Business seller information

Chongqing Qingxian Trading Co Ltd

Yu Xin

Town Beibei District 3F Block1 No

400700 Chongqing

China

And retailed through 

Leicester, United Kingdom. Delivery within 3 days.

I don't see a problem with that, our retail market is heavily populated with Chinese product and as long as the marketing firms haven't tried to skim too much from the manufacturers the Chinese can make product as good and better than many Western companies.

Mick Richards 

Yes Mick, they can, but they often don't. I've ordered things in the past from some of these Chinese sources that have an address in the UK, and the goods have arrived withing the stated time, but direct from China! I don't know how they do it.

Pete

Gas and oil fired heaters certainly are very effective at heating. As mentioned earlier, they do create water vapour in quantities which brings problems. This is someting I discovered when portable gas heaters were used in our church for a wedding, and the walls were dripping with condensation afterwards.

So if you use a gas or oil fired heater that exhausts to your garage you will be warm but there will be water vapour and so condensation on colder things - like your nearest and dearest TR - in your garage.

Dry heat prevents corrosion. Damp heat promotes corrosion.  

Edited by acaie
On 2/20/2022 at 10:02 AM, Ralph Whitaker said:

One of these self contained diesel heaters

eBay item number:

Neighbour has one in his shed, uses an old car battery on a trickle charger for power supply, though could be run direct from mains with a 12v adapter. Exhaust is routed to the outside through a small hole drilled in wall. Runs for hours on a litre of red diesel and gives out a massive blast of really hot air when run at Max (5kw)

Benefit is it is dry heat, so no condensation that you get with such as propane heaters.

Downside is it is not really movable once installed but air could be ducted around the garage with some suitable piping.

Ralph

Ralph,

Why is the heat from a diesel powered heater dry and the propane heater a moist heat which encourages condensation ? 

Mick Richards

The diesel heater doesn't provide direct heat - it has a heat exchanger to the air and the wet exhaust is piped outside the building.  A propane or a paraffin heater provides direct heat and all the wet combustion products stay inside. 

4 minutes ago, RobH said:

The diesel heater doesn't provide direct heat - it has a heat exchanger to the air and the wet exhaust is piped outside the building.  A propane or a paraffin heater provides direct heat and all the wet combustion products stay inside. 

Got it ;)

Mick Richards

Hello All

Even cheaper and accepts offers as low as £52.49 !

Roger

ps I am tempted as we have gas oil for our generators

On 2/20/2022 at 10:02 AM, Ralph Whitaker said:

Ralph

Got a similar one in mine, hard wired with battery back up. Extended the exhaust to 12ft ducted out the garage door and the blown heating is then ducted around the garage like on a boat. Fab bit of kit! Get a spare glow plug and gauzes if running red! 

On 2/18/2022 at 10:16 PM, North London Mike said:

+1 on the Little Devil space heater, use a small 6KG gas bottle, brilliant 

Been following the science, not qualified to disagree. However, as my little garage is wide single, rather than a double, I only have to run the heater on almost the pilot light to warm the garage. Vented, and I never work with it on, too loud. When the heater isn't on, the de-humidifier is. In three years I haven't found any condensation on heavy hammers, roof cross struts etc, all excellent condensation meters :huh:........just saying

On 2/21/2022 at 9:51 PM, rog1 said:

Got a similar one in mine, hard wired with battery back up. Extended the exhaust to 12ft ducted out the garage door and the blown heating is then ducted around the garage like on a boat. Fab bit of kit! Get a spare glow plug and gauzes if running red! 

Have you had problems with running red diesel?  I thought it was the same stuff but with a bit of red dye.

I have just bough one, a 5kw, which only cost £65, and the seller was MaXspeeding Rods, well known on here.

Don`t know how easy spares would be, but as it cost a friend of mine £250 to repair an Eberspacher diesel heater, as he said for £65 buy another for spares.

Ralph

Hi Ralph,

No, not personally as I haven't used red, however a friend had on his boat and had issues which led him to believe the difference isn't just the dye.

He's gone back to regular diesel as it burns more cleanly. Similarly, for the cost of them, he bought another for spares, as your friend suggests.

Regards   

Can it heat up a garage of 30 square metre's I wonder. My little fan heater takes some chill off but really inefficient. I put an offer in for the one linked by John and knocked off 99p. So  £80.00 are they very good at heating???

I am so tempted.

Regards Harry

14 hours ago, Ralph Whitaker said:

Have you had problems with running red diesel?  I thought it was the same stuff but with a bit of red dye.

I have just bough one, a 5kw, which only cost £65, and the seller was MaXspeeding Rods, well known on here.

Don`t know how easy spares would be, but as it cost a friend of mine £250 to repair an Eberspacher diesel heater, as he said for £65 buy another for spares.

Ralph

Trying a little thinking outside the box, considering the current Ukraine/Russia/Europe possible conflict and threatening power cuts because of inflating gas prices, if the worst happens I wonder if having one of these with a couple of spare 12v batteries might give a reasonable heat source for at least a couple of rooms in the house ? 

Mick Richards

8 hours ago, Motorsport Mickey said:

Trying a little thinking outside the box, considering the current Ukraine/Russia/Europe possible conflict and threatening power cuts because of inflating gas prices, if the worst happens I wonder if having one of these with a couple of spare 12v batteries might give a reasonable heat source for at least a couple of rooms in the house ? 

Mick Richards

The one fitted in my camper is brilliant, so as long as you could route the exhaust outside they would certainly heat a room.

Ralph